Sponsored

Brand new truck incoming - first detailing steps for a noob

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Hi all, receiving my truck in a few days and want to lay out my game plan from an auto-detailing POV that is up for ridicule. I've weighed the pro/con between ceramic, ppf, and wax. I've opted to go with a ceramic coating.

Plan:

1. Direct Dealer to not touch the truck's exterior paint off the delivery truck.

2. Receive truck, rinse it down, spray it with Gyeon Prep and clean it (https://www.amazon.ca/Gyeon-4333116446-Prep-500ml/dp/B00OORQT82/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=dmy4F&content-id=amzn1.sym.0606cc44-75bd-471a-a861-3925e60effe6:amzn1.symc.e5c80209-769f-4ade-a325-2eaec14b8e0e&pf_rd_p=0606cc44-75bd-471a-a861-3925e60effe6&pf_rd_r=Q2VNRCYRKT2SQG9EQ7Q9&pd_rd_wg=j2osV&pd_rd_r=ca3ff8c7-cdec-4272-aa0c-e9fcaf3c4e88&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m)

3. Presumably, I will not need to claybar or anything, so I intend to apply Gyeon Mohs EVO to the entire exterior, including the rims. Question: Can I apply Mohs on the light bars (front and back?) (https://www.amazon.com/GYEON-MOHS-Ceramic-Coating-50ml/dp/B09S5T6QS6)

4. Maintain and wash with TurtleWax Hyperfoam Wash. I have 3x of these I got from a sale at Costco and it seems to get favourable reviews and play nice with ceramic (https://www.amazon.com/TurtleWax-HYPERFOAM-Wash-Wax-128/dp/B0C3MVFPGX/ref=sr_1_1?crid=CVXCMD3WAO0H&keywords=TURTLE+HYPERFOAM+WASH+AND+WAX&qid=1690334972&sprefix=turtle+hyperfoam+wash+and+wa,aps,161&sr=8-1)

I'm not looking for perfection - just a budget conscious clean and protection of the exterior of my vehicle.
Thoughts and criticism is welcome - thank you!
Sponsored

Last edited:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally.
The first step should be to decide how you are planning to charge it and what you need to do to make it happen. Detailing is pretty secondary. It's a truck after all.

OP
OP

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
The first step should be to decide how you are planning to charge it and what you need to do to make it happen. Detailing is pretty secondary. It's a truck after all.
I'm all set up on that front. Been an EV owner for 5 years. Just never owned a dark coloured vehicle so I'm out of my element here!

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally.
I'm all set up on that front. Been an EV owner for 5 years. Just never owned a dark coloured vehicle so I'm out of my element here!
Then you're all set.

Years ago, I owned a black chrysler, so it had 2 strikes against it. What I can tell you is there no way to keep a black car looking clean for more than a couple of days.

DanielM92563

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER, Taycan CrossTursimo4, 23 Canyon
I used Turtle Wax hybrid solutions and it's been working better than expected. One 15 dollar bottle covers about 3 cars (two coats each), super easy to apply- takes 5 minutes. I would look into getting a wall mounted pressure washer station at home, it'll make washing at home much more enjoyable. Don't take it through the car wash unless you want your paint scratched, but sounds like you know that. I'm 6'4" and I can't reach the top of my lightning without some sort of step, if you have a Lariat/platinum with a pano roof you have to wash the top otherwise your kids will bish about how dirty the top is when they're looking out. I use a two bucket system when I handwash although that's probably overkill for a iced blue silver lightning but not for a dark color.

OllieC

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
I had my Ford wrapped with paint protection film so I don't get so many dings and scratches. Cost about $10,000 but much cheaper if you do it yourself.
Ford F-150 Lightning Brand new truck incoming - first detailing steps for a noob Ford Lightnin

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
I park mine in the driveway where the sprinklers hit it from all angles regardless of proper sprinkler settings. It's covered in hard water minerals. I need to wash it because it's getting difficult to see out the side and back windows.

Sponsored

Captain337

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning PRO
Depending on where you are, it’s likely your truck came by rail which means iron contamination. Standard procedure would be iron removal product followed by clay bar/mitt. For optimal coating adhesion and longer life, a one-step polish should also be considered.

OP
OP

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Depending on where you are, it’s likely your truck came by rail which means iron contamination. Standard procedure would be iron removal product followed by clay bar/mitt. For optimal coating adhesion and longer life, a one-step polish should also be considered.
Product suggestions are highly welcome! Like I said... nooooooob over here.

NoCharge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting Pro Iconic Silver
I would highly suggest clay barring it. I did mine right away and pulled a ton of fallout off the roof and hood. I did a stripping wash, clay bar, paint correction/polish and ceramic. I personally would not do ceramic again in the climate I live in. I spent three days doing all of those steps in September and by February in WI, I was already getting brown spots in the clear. It just wasn't worth the time.

OP
OP

Basis0439

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I would highly suggest clay barring it. I did mine right away and pulled a ton of fallout off the roof and hood. I did a stripping wash, clay bar, paint correction/polish and ceramic. I personally would not do ceramic again in the climate I live in. I spent three days doing all of those steps in September and by February in WI, I was already getting brown spots in the clear. It just wasn't worth the time.
What would you suggest? Just usual wash/wax occasionally?

NoCharge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting Pro Iconic Silver
What would you suggest? Just usual wash/wax occasionally?
That or maybe a graphene spray on coating that can be had for $20 and reapplied easy.
I was just disappointed that I basically have to do the process all over again to get the “rust” spots out. If I lived in a climate without salt and “pickle juice” on the road, I’d do ceramic as I’d assume it would last longer.
Sponsored