Sponsored

Frunk Vs Coyote V8, have your cake and eat it too.

jaykoolzboy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai Ioniq&Kona, Honda FCV
Occupation
IT Consultant
Picked our BASE 24 GT several weeks ago (stacking up to 1k miles already) , been tilting between 23 Miata and 24 Mustang (both MT) for awhile, fundamentally V8 Stick RWD won me over.

It's a very base GT with 0 options (other than Vapor blue and MT82, would love to have the package that involves Tremec, probably going to install the Tremec after the warranty expires)

Now let’s talk about the S650 Mustang GT, it’s not as quick as our Lightning or our other EVs, but the roar of that Coyote V8 and engaging experience with the stick is pretty much irreplaceable by any EVs, period.

I just crack the perfect combination of fun, efficiency, practicality and technology for my needs with 2 Ford products. Kudos to life.

Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk Vs Coyote V8, have your cake and eat it too. 20230930_121739-

Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk Vs Coyote V8, have your cake and eat it too. 20230930_121723-
Sponsored

Stuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Love it! Beautiful car! Been looking at a GT vert myself, but can't justify it. Maybe one day. I think the cost of going for a DH for the Tremec is too much, I would go GT as well.

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
Have you had a chance to to drive the s550 mustangs to compare? Im getting mixed signals about the s650 from reviewers.

OP
OP

jaykoolzboy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Have you had a chance to to drive the s550 mustangs to compare? Im getting mixed signals about the s650 from reviewers.
Only thru rental and turo (all AT) , just my non-conclusive perspective since I never owned any mustang before.

Exterior

S650 looks hella better in real person, I was skeptical on that until I see them in real world. It looks modern , simple and futuristic for a mustang without killing its heritage.

With that being said, I can understand why some or half of the mustang owner would appreciate the s550 looks with its more angry and aggressive image.

Interior

S650 hands down , I had the s550 eb wilth that tiny tiny 4 inch screen on a rental (bigger screen on other occasions) , the s650 even on the GT base side is significantly more modern and technological advance than similar equipped S550 (come on its 7 years apart after all). I am extremely impressed with the standard cloth seat and the processing power of that dual screen sync 4a infotainment.

Driving dynamics

Since I have never driven the S550 GT with MT , I don't have the credentials to compare them, one thing I can say for the S650 is that it feels very similar to the old V8 (e92) BMW that I used to have. Maybe not as engaging or crazy but very similar in term of overall experience.

Overall I'm very happy for the purchase, we currently have 3 evs ( 10 + evs for the past 8, 9 years), even as some of the biggest alternative energy transportation supporter I still believe we need to show all the automaker that V6 V8 rwd manual can still be a thing in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jaykoolzboy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Love it! Beautiful car! Been looking at a GT vert myself, but can't justify it. Maybe one day. I think the cost of going for a DH for the Tremec is too much, I would go GT as well.
Ya I feel your pain, was looking at GT premium with PP , AE, MR , omfg , it shows 60k+ with Tremec nowhere to be found , with that price I would rather have the M2 or Supra 3.0 MT .

DH starts at 59k, lightly optioned for over 65K+ (fully loaded for 72k+) , price just isnt justifiable for me( S550 Mach 1 was a much better deal), we are talking about gt350 price range here.

That's why I think the base GT with light or no options is the best deal for the S650 family (or the entire sporty muscle car category)

Too bad ,Ford won't offer the vert version of the base GT. 😔

Sponsored

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
The interesting thing about a Lightning versus a Mustang GT is the latter is a lot of noise. The LT just gets down with it and no drama. The more I drive EVs the more I don’t miss drama. All that sputtering and frothing and vibration. And If you want to feel real nearly uncontrollable power, go take a horse for a gallop.

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
Now let’s talk about the S650 Mustang GT, it’s not as quick as our Lightning or our other EVs, but the roar of that Coyote V8 and engaging experience with the stick is pretty much irreplaceable by any EVs, period.
Past Monday I test drove S650 GT with performance exhaust. Its an experience for sure and a true pony car. The 2 options I'd get are performance exhaust + black pkg. Around $50K you can't beat it.

Car I test drove was auto and I can tell you that this beast of an engine can benefit from a better transmission. Shifts are not up to par/quick as compared to European cars out there, especially when you're using paddle shifters. My wife will never sign off on a manual since she can't drive and refuses to learn. That aside, its still a screaming buy in my view.

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
Since I have never driven the S550 GT with MT , I don't have the credentials to compare them, one thing I can say for the S650 is that it feels very similar to the old V8 (e92) BMW that I used to have. Maybe not as engaging or crazy but very similar in term of overall experience.
e92 was a superb car and one of my favorites to this day

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I’ve always wanted a Stang but always end up getting something else. Test drove one once and loved it.

H3IMDALL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 718 Boxster GTS, Porsche Panamera Turbo
Occupation
Software Architect
I had the first supercharged (Roush) convertible of the previous gen .. as loaded as those get. 670hp .. didn’t handle very well (compared to a sports car) but was super fun. Would still have it likely if the seats didnt suck. Had to sell b/c the permanent lumbar in Fords seats kills my back. Luckily the Lightnings seats are wearing in.

Sponsored

Electric Messiah

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
The interesting thing about a Lightning versus a Mustang GT is the latter is a lot of noise. The LT just gets down with it and no drama. The more I drive EVs the more I don’t miss drama. All that sputtering and frothing and vibration. And If you want to feel real nearly uncontrollable power, go take a horse for a gallop.
Agree. Noise pollution is one of the most under the radar public health crises of our times. A lot of it can be sourced to loud motorcycles, pickups, sports cars... Stand at any busy intersection anywhere in America and the noise is constant and deafening. (A lot of over compensating, attention starved drivers out there).

No better feeling than to have all that power in the Ford Lightning, all revved up and ready, and with a press of the pedal to "explode into space" with no but the rush of the wind as your back presses hard back into the seat. It's the best of both worlds-- high drama and meditational moments combined.

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning SR Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
What gets me is that, you considered a Miata over a Mustang?

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
I've test driven both a few times and the Miata is a fun little car to drive, especially when it comes to maneuvarability, so I can understand his hesitation.

OP
OP

jaykoolzboy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Miata is the best sports car in sub 30k category , period (if driving dynamic and experience is everything) .

I know it looks cartoonish and lacks of power (181HP vs 480HP), but once you start to cornering and move around with it, you will have that "this is spectacular" smile every single time (top down of course) . It only weights slightly over 2300lbs with MT and soft top.

However , we have 2 kids , we would love to have our kids to experience the v8 roar with us (which MIata can't do) , so we picked the new Mustang over the Miata. If I am single or don't have any kids, i would probably pick Miata over even the new Mustang GT , yes Miata is that good. :)

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning SR Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
Yikes, Id rather get a mustang and put money in the suspension. But to each his own I guess.
Sponsored