APIM won’t update at dealer

Jim657

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning Lariat , 22 Mach E GT
Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this, the truck is at the dealer they have done the lightbar and dash mat recall. Now they are having trouble with the APIM update they’ve been trying since yesterday, and it will not complete successfully. The Dealer has been great not worried about any of the workmanship or anything like that more just curious so I can know what to expect. They are wondering if it could be the reason why I haven’t received an update 3 1/2 months.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Yes, it is the reason.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Is this the first time they’ve tried to update it? If there was a previous failed attempt, the APIM will lock itself from further updates after a period of time. 20 days, if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
Jim657

Jim657

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is this the first time they’ve tried to update it? If there was a previous failed attempt, the APIM will lock itself from further updates after a period of time. 20 days, if I remember correctly.
this is the first time the trucks been in for anything. They just talk to me today and said they’ve been trying since 3 o’clock yesterday. They said it has not successfully completed yet

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
My APIM on my 2021 Lariat wouldn't hold profiles. It took them 3 days working with tech support to program the replacement unit.

Sometimes technology is hard.

Sponsored

wapple24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Mine would not update no matter what they did. I have to have a new APIM installed. Took 3 months for the part to come in, but updates are rolling in now.

OP
OP
Jim657

Jim657

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine would not update no matter what they did. I have to have a new APIM installed. Took 3 months for the part to come in, but updates are rolling in now.
OK, thanks for the info I think that’s where we might be heading. We’ll see what happens today. Out of curiosity was it a big job to get the module out?

wapple24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
OK, thanks for the info I think that’s where we might be heading. We’ll see what happens today. Out of curiosity was it a big job to get the module out?
They had my truck for 2 days when they did it, so I do think it was a bit of work, but not sure.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
My APIM on my 2021 Lariat wouldn't hold profiles. It took them 3 days working with tech support to program the replacement unit.

Sometimes technology is hard.
We should not have to prompt the dealership, but sometimes we have to. I have suggested to mine that they get in touch with a Ford Engineer if they are having difficulty solving an issue. After 2 battery modules were replaced in my Lightning, the Battery Balancer would not complete balance after multiple attempts. The dealership finally got in touch with a Ford Field Engineer who provided a different code than originally specified for the Balancer, and that allowed the balance to complete.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Well that's kinda weird since the APIM update is USB-based.

Did they go into any detail? Like did they say the files downloaded but wouldn't install when the USB drive was plugged in, or did it even get to the part where the files downloaded?

Another thing is if there was a gateway update also in the list. Or a TCU in the list.

Any gateway update in the list at the same time as an APIM update has to be done first due to dependency requirements. And if they try to update an APIM before the gateway that's supposed to be done first they will fail.
Sponsored