Sponsored

Lightning has been down six weeks and counting.

Streek

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
My 2023 lightning has been in the shop for more than six weeks. It went to the dealership because the shifter would not move. As of today, I believe the shifter issue has been repaired because of a defective brake booster. Now it appears the vehicle is throwing codes such as Powertrain/Malfunction Reduced Power, Restraints Indicator Lamp Warning.

The dealer, along with Ford Motor is saying they want to get the engineers involved. However, it appears they cannot figure it out. I'm not sure when I will get to the vehicle back.

There alot going on and Ford (dealer and corporate)does NOT do a good job with communicating

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning has been down six weeks and counting. Screenshot_20231110_074032_FordPass
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
My 2023 lightning has been in the shop for more than six weeks. It went to the dealership because the shifter would not move. As of today, I believe the shifter issue has been repaired because of a defective brake booster. Now it appears the vehicle is throwing codes such as Powertrain/Malfunction Reduced Power, Restraints Indicator Lamp Warning.

The dealer, along with Ford Motor is saying they want to get the engineers involved. However, it appears they cannot figure it out. I'm not sure when I will get to the vehicle back.

There alot going on and Ford (dealer and corporate)does NOT do a good job with communicating

Screenshot_20231110_074032_FordPass.jpg
I know there are a couple other threads on here where the "Restraints Indicator Lamp Warning" seemed to be a result of the HVBP "Powertrain/Malfunction Reduced Power" issue. At 6 weeks and no clear path, I might start thinking about our states lemon law. CA Lemon Law Your truck definitely exceeds the 30 day window.

OP
OP
Streek

Streek

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
I'm considering the Lemon Law. However, I have put some extra cash in the truck such as ceramic coating, front grill paint , powered steps ,tinted windows and a few other items. Therefore the hesitation on pursuing it.

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
There is definitely a problem with the mechanics at the dealers thinking that they know everything about vehicles and the engineers are a bunch of propellerheads that never turned wrenches (a dealer actually said this to me... I don't go to that dealer anymore...)

They have NO CLUE what they are talking about when it comes to the sophisticated electronics and software systems of the Lightning. They think they know, but they really don't. The engineers in Deaerborne are excellent, and really want to help. If you haven't already called corporate support, you should. They are also excellent to help connect the dots, and follow up with you, even if the dealer just won't listen. I'm still waiting for my frunk replacement after the original dealer melted the crap out of mine... after fixing a power drain issue I was having with my driver's seat control module (which never would have been resolved if the engineers weren't directly involved with me through corporate support).

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Herein lies the biggest issue and obstacle to Ford's success. I've had multiple service situations where the lack of ability of Ford corporate to clearly communicate with the dealership due to franchise laws has made me want to kick someone. "We can't tell them what to do, we can only advise when they ask for advice".

I have been lucky that most of my issues have been well known on the various forums, and I've been able to navigate better through it all as a result. It's very frustrating.

OP
OP
Streek

Streek

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
VERY FRUSTRATING is true. I contacted the dealer yesterday and asked to speak to the service advisor and the manager. They both was were busy with customers and neither NEVER called me back. I'm getting beyond frustration 🫤.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
VERY FRUSTRATING is true. I contacted the dealer yesterday and asked to speak to the service advisor and the manager. They both was were busy with customers and neither NEVER called me back. I'm getting beyond frustration 🫤.
The way to deal with this, which may not be open to you, is to switch dealers.

I have 10 dealers within 30 minutes, 1/2 dozen within less. I had switched dealers in 2018 when my salesperson retired, and I didn't like his replacement. 5 years later I was looking to buy a demo Lightning and they were only available out of state. My new dealer said that if I didn't buy from them, despite buying one gas car and 2 EVs in 5 years, they wouldn't service it. I've now moved back to the former dealership who has no issue servicing vehicles they don't sell (and neither does the next choice on the list).

At an EV show, the dealer I've now left had vehicles there, and couldn't close the frunk due to a stuck latch. They asked me for help, and I got it fixed using the inside latch release. I told them to tell the Service Manager that I help all dealerships, regardless of whether they service my vehicles... ;)

OP
OP
Streek

Streek

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
How do I change dealerships when the vehicle is disassembled at it current location? I'm open to whatever will get my lightning back as it was when I purchased it new.

kendotelie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
I'm considering the Lemon Law. However, I have put some extra cash in the truck such as ceramic coating, front grill paint , powered steps ,tinted windows and a few other items. Therefore the hesitation on pursuing it.
these aftermarket installs are considered "collateral". dig up any invoices/receipts for the installs and submit them in your claim under your states lemon law or just contact the ford customer service and ask them to submit a request to repurchase the vehicle. If deemed a lemon or if ford agrees, the Ford RAV will go over with you what will count for collateral (not sure about the painted grill) but installed parts should be covered, tints too as i had some items myself

i just completed one myself. started at end of september thru (BBB autoline) and finished it by surrendering the vehicle last week

Sponsored
OP
OP
Streek

Streek

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
these aftermarket installs are considered "collateral". dig up any invoices/receipts for the installs and submit them in your claim under your states lemon law or just contact the ford customer service and ask them to submit a request to repurchase the vehicle. If deemed a lemon or if ford agrees, the Ford RAV will go over with you what will count for collateral (not sure about the painted grill) but installed parts should be covered, tints too as i had some items myself

i just completed one myself. started at end of september thru (BBB autoline) and finished it by surrendering the vehicle last week
Thanks for the info. I have submitted a claim with BBB a few hours ago.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
If it goes to a buyback offer from the RAV team they will factor usage charges using a formula. You can. Negotiate those easily. They will also reimburse all payments, fees and taxes. I’m

OP
OP
Streek

Streek

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
If it goes to a buyback offer from the RAV team they will factor usage charges using a formula. You can. Negotiate those easily. They will also reimburse all payments, fees and taxes. I’m
Thanks.I'm lining all of my info up for a response when they contact me.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
You may end up going this route, and probably should, if they can't get you fixed up in the next couple weeks. You can remove anything you added to the truck -- like the powered steps. But yeah that sucks when you fix it up nice and your ceramic coating, tint, etc.. can't be recovered.

Thanks for the info. I have submitted a claim with BBB a few hours ago.
While that does help some, it's usually not a huge help to most. The BBB is a private organization and their best service is really advice and/or resources to help pursue something like this. Most businesses don't care about BBB ratings... They don't carry any more weight than a Yelp or Google review because they're the same thing. But sometimes a dealership is more likely to move quicker to help a customer if they know the BBB is advising them or even directing them to a lemon law attorney.

Have you opened a case with Ford directly? I have been through a lemon claim with Ford on a 2006 Excursion. The dealership kept jerking me around, but Ford made them buy it back before I had to get a lawyer involved. I don't know if they handle it the same way now...

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
You may end up going this route, and probably should, if they can't get you fixed up in the next couple weeks. You can remove anything you added to the truck -- like the powered steps. But yeah that sucks when you fix it up nice and your ceramic coating, tint, etc.. can't be recovered.

While that does help some, it's usually not a huge help to most. The BBB is a private organization and their best service is really advice and/or resources to help pursue something like this. Most businesses don't care about BBB ratings... They don't carry any more weight than a Yelp or Google review because they're the same thing. But sometimes a dealership is more likely to move quicker to help a customer if they know the BBB is advising them or even directing them to a lemon law attorney.

Have you opened a case with Ford directly? I have been through a lemon claim with Ford on a 2006 Excursion. The dealership kept jerking me around, but Ford made them buy it back before I had to get a lawyer involved. I don't know if they handle it the same way now...
Living in California, I would start with lemonlaw.ca.gov
Sponsored