First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Semi Retired, Part time Handyman
Does anyone know if you can just pull into a Ford dealership with charging stations and charge your Lightning? And is it free to Ford owners?
Sponsored

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
Does anyone know if you can just pull into a Ford dealership with charging stations and charge your Lightning? And is it free to Ford owners?
According to reports on plugshare, a dealer in Brenham, TX (closest ford dealer to me with chargers installed afaik) has theirs up and running and seem to allow anyone to pull in and charge. Reviewers said staff was friendly and helpful with getting the chargers going for people if needed, which is pretty remarkable. The plugshare reviews were saying they were free (for anyone) for now, but they will start charging soon. I believe they also are supposedly accessible after hours. Obv, YMMV. Just call one with chargers and ask?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
DC fast chargers should be accessible, and won't be free at some point. Level 2 chargers not part of the Ford Charging Network is up to the dealership.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally.
DC fast chargers should be accessible, and won't be free at some point. Level 2 chargers not part of the Ford Charging Network is up to the dealership.
Accessibility depends on the dealership. Around here, most dealerships have gates that get closed overnight.

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
Accessibility depends on the dealership. Around here, most dealerships have gates that get closed overnight.
This grinds my gears to no end. The whole point of DCFC is for them to be open and available at any time. Site security should not be a limiting factor. If it is, put in cameras or place the stations "outside the fence".

Sponsored

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
According to reports on plugshare, a dealer in Brenham, TX (closest ford dealer to me with chargers installed afaik) has theirs up and running and seem to allow anyone to pull in and charge. Reviewers said staff was friendly and helpful with getting the chargers going for people if needed, which is pretty remarkable. The plugshare reviews were saying they were free (for anyone) for now, but they will start charging soon. I believe they also are supposedly accessible after hours. Obv, YMMV. Just call one with chargers and ask?
Been meaning to try this one because until it popped up US-290 between Austin and Houston has been dry for fast charging. There's not even many Level-2 through that corridor and I'm in that area a lot! I don't mind if they start charging at all, as long as they leave it accessible 24/7.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For DCFC?

This grinds my gears to no end. The whole point of DCFC is for them to be open and available at any time. Site security should not be a limiting factor. If it is, put in cameras or place the stations "outside the fence".
I suspect they are level 2 and not part of the EV requirements.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Remember back in November Ford changed the charger requirements significantly. Now Certified dealers need only install (2) Level 2 chargers, down from (5).

And Certified Elite dealers need only install (3) Level 2 chargers. The requirement for a DCFC Level 3 by 2026 was eliminated entirely.

So we may not see a lot of DCFC at Ford dealerships. I think the dealers also won concessions on operating hours and they did not need to be 24-hour. But I can't find that reported. Maybe it was just part of the Illinois lawsuit.

https://insideevs.com/news/697258/ford-cuts-dealer-ev-requirements-again/
https://electrek.co/2023/11/20/ford-caves-ev-dealer-program-will-cut-charger-requirements/
https://www.automotivedive.com/news/ford-modele-certified-elite-evs-dealers-charging-program/700625/

EDIT : They also changed the deadline to next summer. But in my mind, the Tesla addition makes up for this dealer reduction many times over.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally.
Do they have DCFC or just level 2?
Does it matter? They have a gate. The only way any of their chargers would be accessible is if the left the gate open. Also, what are you going to do at 2:00 AM when the dealership is closed? Sit in your car in the dark?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does it matter? They have a gate. The only way any of their chargers would be accessible is if the left the gate open. Also, what are you going to do at 2:00 AM when the dealership is closed? Sit in your car in the dark?
Yes, it does matter. Their new certification requires DC fast chargers that are accessible.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've seen dealers, Ford and others, with wide open lots with never any obstruction or gating.

I've seen dealers, Ford and others, with VERY secured lots, with NO access 'after hours'... and even difficult access WHEN open.

I suppose some dealers are just going to bristle at the notion of having to either leave their lots 'open' 24/7, for access to DCFC, or having to make 'room' at the outside of their valuable property to provide 'open' DCFC access. I suppose much of this just depends on the location, the layout, and the available room for these types of installations.

As the charging infrastructure grows, I also imagine we'll be less inclined to worry about whether 'Ford dealers' have access after hours... but, right now, yes, it's a good option to have for some areas with few DCFC options.

I just stopped and charged the other day at a Ford dealer who has not only a DCFC unit out at the far edge of their lot, for customer/others usage, but also an identical DCFC unit within one of the rows of 'stock vehicles' on display for sale, along with 3 'dual' Level 2 charge units. The dealer employee told me that the second DCFC unit was only for 'their' usage, not customers, even though I had parked in front of it, used the Ford Pass App to activate it, and was successful in charging. After I left, I realized that I never received a fee... maybe the employee was right.
\

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
There are two dealerships in NH that have level 2 chargers that I've used after hours with no problem. That said, the dealer I purchased my truck from doesn't have any, so when I drop my truck off for service, I always get it back with a lower % than when I dropped it off. I've brought it to the attention of the Service Manager twice and the last time I offered to sell him back the one the truck came with....for $501. He wasn't amused.
Sponsored