Sponsored

Sponsored

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
Biggest shocker from these pictures for me is realizing that the XLT and Lariat Lightning have the same looking interior dashboard/trim etc. My 2021 XLT did not have the same Lariat look on the inside.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Biggest shocker from these pictures for me is realizing that the XLT and Lariat Lightning have the same looking interior dashboard/trim etc. My 2021 XLT did not have the same Lariat look on the inside.
XLT and Lariat still have different screens. The one in Chrisā€™ video is a new trim level called Flash that sits between XLT and Lariat.

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
XLT and Lariat still have different screens. The one in Chrisā€™ video is a new trim level called Flash that sits between XLT and Lariat.
It's replacing the XLT though right?

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
It's replacing the XLT though right?
No. For ā€˜24 the XLT is still available but it will only be SR. The Flash is basically what used to be the XLT ER with a few of the Lariat features added on, mainly the big screen.

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
Is this Sync7?
Hope those are all software features that can be sideloaded to 21-23 (like IPMA module for 23 to be sideloaded into 21 car)

Sponsored

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
WTF is Ford waiting on?
Hi, back when I was younger (man I'm only in my 40s but this was 20 years ago still, ugh, curse you time) I managed a quality assurance department at Acclaim Entertainment. Yeah, we ran into walls all day. I was a very specific kind of manager. I tracked compatibility over various PCs and cross-referenced bugs to correlate them with specific pieces of hardware.

This is necessary. You want this to happen.

These are not Teslas and we're not in a young company with complete vertical integration. We own a product from a behemoth who has a traditional "parts bin" approach.

You only have so many dev, artist and QA monkey hours in a day. Likely what we're looking at is Ford developed the latest patch on their 2024s and we're waiting for the process to be repeated on the 2023s.

Trust me when I say it's pretty amazing that Ford is doing this at all. They're pretending like they're the thing they're working towards before they're that thing. A vehicle like the F150 is incredibly complicated when you get into all the little options and the different suppliers involved. There are many small changes carried year over year or even running changes mid year you don't hear about. Perhaps a supplier change or they ran out of a part they had left over from the Explorer and they're just now tapping into the new parts.

This way of making of vehicle is near impossible to mimic the Tesla model of software development. Ford is doing it. I'd cut them some slack and be grateful.

I'm pretty harsh on OEMs, the fact that I'm saying this has to mean something!

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Hi, back when I was younger (man I'm only in my 40s but this was 20 years ago still, ugh, curse you time) I managed a quality assurance department at Acclaim Entertainment. Yeah, we ran into walls all day. I was a very specific kind of manager. I tracked compatibility over various PCs and cross-referenced bugs to correlate them with specific pieces of hardware.

This is necessary. You want this to happen.

These are not Teslas and we're not in a young company with complete vertical integration. We own a product from a behemoth who has a traditional "parts bin" approach.

You only have so many dev, artist and QA monkey hours in a day. Likely what we're looking at is Ford developed the latest patch on their 2024s and we're waiting for the process to be repeated on the 2023s.

Trust me when I say it's pretty amazing that Ford is doing this at all. They're pretending like they're the thing they're working towards before they're that thing. A vehicle like the F150 is incredibly complicated when you get into all the little options and the different suppliers involved. There are many small changes carried year over year or even running changes mid year you don't hear about. Perhaps a supplier change or they ran out of a part they had left over from the Explorer and they're just now tapping into the new parts.

This way of making of vehicle is near impossible to mimic the Tesla model of software development. Ford is doing it. I'd cut them some slack and be grateful.

I'm pretty harsh on OEMs, the fact that I'm saying this has to mean something!
The minute we cut them some slack and be grateful is the minute they really stop developing/making improvements.

Most of us here do give them slack, laugh off their software failures. Even my comment was more of joke comment than a serious one.

But if we truly want them to compete with Tesla we can't just continue to give them some slack and say "it's ok".

Ford is lucky the actual truck is awesome despite this software OTA circus. I don't even think we are asking for the Tesla model........at least Rivian?

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
The minute we cut them some slack and be grateful is the minute they really stop developing/making improvements.

Most of us here do give them slack, laugh off their software failures. Even my comment was more of joke comment than a serious one.

But if we truly want them to compete with Tesla we can't just continue to give them some slack and say "it's ok".

Ford is lucky the actual truck is awesome despite this software OTA circus. I don't even think we are asking for the Tesla model........at least Rivian?
Ford cheated. Not in ways that matter to us, but they cheated none the less. The way "this is supposed to be done" is by completely revamping your entire company to orient around two necessary and fundamental changes.
  • Software needs to be first
  • Electric power trains and how that differs from gas needs to be worked out methodically by starting over completely from scratch
Ford took off the shelf parts, crammed them into the mounting points of an F150, dumped their entire SYNC team into emergency "make a full screen infotainment and ignore SYNC5 until we say otherwise" and got our truck out the door roughly alongside the Mach-E (or should I say Focus-E?)

When you see the headlines, "Ford is losing $65,000 per EV sold" or whatever hyperbolic lack of context but still very real on some level headline, that doesn't mean you have the awesome development environment and that's what Ford is paying for. It means the opposite, the cost is the terrible inefficiencies.

Expect for this to get worse every passing MY. If Ford ever gets to "Tesla level" it will be through their upcoming re-imagined EV F150. Based on their recent announcements around R&D and prodcution on EVs, I'm kind of worried. I think both Ford and GM just took the easy, "this will help me keep my job for the next few year" C-suite answering to shareholder road and forsook their future to China.

Ultium cratering should have everyone here imagining what's occurring at Ford right now.

My personal bet is 1 of the big 3 is going to need a bail out before this is over. Perhaps 2 (or even 3, I think Stellantis is a potential dark horse, though)

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I donā€™t think any will go bankrupt due to EVā€™s

Last edited:
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Medicine
If any of them need a bail out, let them go bankrupt. They had a blueprint for at least modest success from Tesla. It's a bit like bailing out the whaling industry after the civil war. Not worth it.
Sponsored