First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F350XLT, 2 x 12 F250XLT, 23 Lightning Lariet ER
Occupation
Farmer
First I've seen a bolt there in 50 or so pickups I've had on the place but occasionally, someone comes up with a good idea.
Looks like an M6 x 20 flange head. (metric eq of a 1/4 x 3/4)
Sponsored

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
Not that you need another example but I also have a retainer bolt there.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate fell off, lol IMG_1079

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Well dang I have a set screw too. Seems like maybe it was forgot if the tailgate was ever removed for bedliner. I'm glad for this thread,,sorry for your damage for sure. I've never seen a set screw either on a tailgate and if I had to remove the tailgate, this would have driven me nuts figuring out;)

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
I'm like 90% sure I don't have one of these retaining bolts either. Otherwise, I would have had to remove it while adding in the OEM tailgate damper and I definitely didn't do that. I have a spray in bed line too.

I'd go check to be sure, but I've got a tailgate lock on it and I'd have to remove to see it. And I don't feel like doing that.

Edit - I did check the old tailgate hinge I replaced with the one that came with the damper and I don't even have a hole for the bolt to thread into.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First I've seen a bolt there in 50 or so pickups I've had on the place but occasionally, someone comes up with a good idea.
Looks like an M6 x 20 flange head. (metric eq of a 1/4 x 3/4)
Thank you. Decided to purchase the Mcgard lock with my ford reward.

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
You were so focused on making the condescending post about being a “first truck” that you missed the point of my thread that I am trying to determine what parts are missing. I’m not sure any certain number of years of truck “ownership” would give someone enough experience to draw the tailgate assembly and parts from scratch without any reference, as noted by your complete failure to miss the gaping hole in my picture where clearly something belongs but I am mot sure what.
My intent was not to be condescending, there are lots of people on this forum who bought this as their first truck ever. I was just trying to add context to the situation, I apologize that it did not come across that way.

Do we know if this screw is linked to trim? Could it be an item where the power folding tailgate has the screw but the manual drop does not?

Last edited:

2sleep

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue, 2008 Prius
Occupation
Retired
This kinda freaked me out as I am helping move my daughter to her new apartment tomorrow morning. I went out and checked and the set screw was in place.
Minh, I tried to get the MCGard tailgate lock to work on mine and in the fine print it said that it would not work on the lightning. Had to send it back. Proceed with caution.

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
After taking another look at page 91 of Owners Manual about tailgate removal, it does not say anything about taking out the retaining screw for the Manual Tailgate.

For the Power Tailgate (p.96) it does mention the retaining screw.

I looked at my 2023 Lariat and it does have the screw.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate fell off, lol Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 10.59.13 AM

Sponsored

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This kinda freaked me out as I am helping move my daughter to her new apartment tomorrow morning. I went out and checked and the set screw was in place.
Minh, I tried to get the MCGard tailgate lock to work on mine and in the fine print it said that it would not work on the lightning. Had to send it back. Proceed with caution.
Thank you for the heads up. When I look up mcgard lock using the vin capability it show up so I hope it will work. I guess will find out.

2sleep

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue, 2008 Prius
Occupation
Retired
Please let me know how it goes.

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
That is what I expected to see. It does seem like the OP has a lariat is missing the screw though which is odd.
Sponsored