Top battery off to 90% every day?

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
Though I feel like I'm whipping a puppy when I do.
It seems you are using this Truck to it's max as well as possible. In a few years you might be the poster child for Ford of the perfect customer. maybe....
Sponsored

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
It seems you are using this Truck to it's max as well as possible. In a few years you might be the poster child for Ford of the perfect customer. maybe....
Oh, I've been a poster child before....it isn't pretty :blush:

I've seen charts that indicate you can get 6-8000 charges out of NMC batteries. @MickeyAO has hinted the battery can last "forever" but I haven't found his post that lays that out yet. If I average 100 miles out each charge and got 6000 charges that would put my truck at 600,000 miles. Twice what my justification for buying it was. If i don't get 300,000 miles out this truck then the financial "facts" & "projections" were wrong. It is safe to say I've saved $23,000 in "fuel" savings over the past two years. ($0.075 kwh and $3.00 a gallon gas). If it lasts another 4 years without abnormal maintenance, I'll be ecstatic.

Last edited:

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Our testing shows that a 90% delta (95% SOC to 5% SOC) has the most degradation at normal temperatures.
There are real world examples that demonstrate this. Occasionally you see news reports of a Uber driver's battery dying in a year or so because they charge from near 0% to 100% everyday.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
There are real world examples that demonstrate this. Occasionally you see news reports of a Uber driver's battery dying in a year or so because they charge from near 0% to 100% everyday.
Brings a smile to my face, after arriving at charging stations packed with Uber/Lyft drivers, asleep in their vehicles, charging to 100%, and not giving a rat's ass if people are waiting that are on trips.

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Brings a smile to my face, after arriving at charging stations packed with Uber/Lyft drivers, asleep in their vehicles, charging to 100%, and not giving a rat's ass if people are waiting that are on trips.
With the announcement of Tesla laying off 90% of the SuperCharger department, we can look forward to seeing more of this occurring. Even though I have reaped the benefits of EVs, I'll no longer be recommending to others to buy an electric vehicle until the charging situation significantly improves. Even Hertz announced yesterday they would be accelerating the liquidation of their electric vehicle fleet. We are rapidly heading for Gartner's Hype Cycle's "Trough of Disillusionment" of EVs. Grab a blanket we are about to head into EV Winter🥶

Last edited:

Sponsored

Joe.....Montana

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
My wife uses the truck to commute during the week. Her commute is about 12 miles round trip. So each night we plug the truck in and it charges to 85% (using the Ford mobile charger on 120v). On the weekends we use the truck much more and by Sunday night it will be around 55-65%. Then during the week it slowly regains and by Wednesday or Thursday is back to hitting 85% each night. Would it be better to keep the truck around 50% during the week instead of 75-85%? Charging from 45%ish to 50%ish each night?

We're having a level 2 charger installed soon, so after it is installed, if we need a 50% to 85%+ we will be able to. That has been my primary reason for keeping it around 85% during the week. In the event we need more juice we have it.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
My wife uses the truck to commute during the week. Her commute is about 12 miles round trip. So each night we plug the truck in and it charges to 85% (using the Ford mobile charger on 120v). On the weekends we use the truck much more and by Sunday night it will be around 55-65%. Then during the week it slowly regains and by Wednesday or Thursday is back to hitting 85% each night. Would it be better to keep the truck around 50% during the week instead of 75-85%? Charging from 45%ish to 50%ish each night?

We're having a level 2 charger installed soon, so after it is installed, if we need a 50% to 85%+ we will be able to. That has been my primary reason for keeping it around 85% during the week. In the event we need more juice we have it.
I would stick with what you are doing now. 80-85% works great. Nice balance of reserve energy and battery health.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I've seen charts that indicate you can get 6-8000 charges out of NMC batteries. @MickeyAO has hinted the battery can last "forever" but I haven't found his post that lays that out yet. If I average 100 miles out each charge and got 6000 charges that would put my truck at 600,000 miles.
Usually these are discussed as "charge cycles" not "charges" the difference is pretty huge unless you're using most of the battery every time between charging sessions. Charge cycles are counted as total power charged into the battery divided by the batteries total capacity.

A "charge cycle" of an ER lighting is equivalent to "number of times you have added 143.3 kWh". Given this I think you're going to get many more miles out of your battery than the life of the other components will handle.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

In my mind, the available of a vehicle to GO when you want to GO is important. We charge each EV to 90% nightly. Sitting at 50% means I have to hit a DC fast charger much sooner if I decide to GO now. We're retired, and being able to GO within a day if I want to is on my list of priorities.

I have zero expectation that in 2030 I will own either my Mach-E or Lightning. Life is too short to not have a newer vehicle in retirement. Just sold in November our last ICE vehicle, 2013 F-150. Don't think I will hit 10 years again.

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Usually these are discussed as "charge cycles" not "charges" the difference is pretty huge unless you're using most of the battery every time between charging sessions. Charge cycles are counted as total power charged into the battery divided by the batteries total capacity.

A "charge cycle" of an ER lighting is equivalent to "number of times you have added 143.3 kWh". Given this I think you're going to get many more miles out of your battery than the life of the other components will handle.
If I'm understanding correctly you are suggesting that I've been reading the charts wrong this entire time. When a test (as MickeyAO would say) only uses a delta of 50% that is not considered a charge cycle. It actually means you get 6-8000 X the full capacity of the battery.

My typical trips are 50 miles, 76 miles, 90 miles, 110 miles, with a 10-15% of them being 250 miles or longer. So I should total all of those trips up and divide it by the capacity of the battery. A rough calculation of this would be 101,000 miles divide by 2.1 m/kwh = 48,095kwh/ 145kwh capacity = 331 complete charge cycles. That is interesting.

My battery should last at least a million miles.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If I'm understanding correctly you are suggesting that I've been reading the charts wrong this entire time. When a test (as MickeyAO would say) only uses a delta of 50% that is not considered a charge cycle. It actually means you get 6-8000 X the full capacity of the battery.

My typical trips are 50 miles, 76 miles, 90 miles, 110 miles, with a 10-15% of them being 250 miles or longer. So I should total all of those trips up and divide it by the capacity of the battery. A rough calculation of this would be 101,000 miles divide by 2.1 m/kwh = 48,095kwh/ 145kwh capacity = 331 complete charge cycles. That is interesting.
Exactly. Same with cell phones and other rechargeable devices.

I charge my phone every night, as well as my watch.

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Exactly. Same with cell phones and other rechargeable devices.

I charge my phone every night, as well as my watch.
At the current degradation rate which is 2.5% (checked right after a couple of recalls and software updates a couple of weeks ago) I should be able to get 1.2 million miles before I hit 70%, or another 22 years at my current rate though I'll probably have to replace the rest of the truck before then. Maybe I should go hunt up a salvaged truck for parts and store it. It may be cheaper.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
My battery should last at least a million miles.
Saw a research paper that showed NMC batteries, on average, hit 85% of original capacity around 2000 cycles. Where did you see information about 6-8000 cycles?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
At the current degradation rate which is 2.5% (checked right after a couple of recalls and software updates a couple of weeks ago) I should be able to get 1.2 million miles before I hit 70%, or another 22 years at my current rate though I'll probably have to replace the rest of the truck before then. Maybe I should go hunt up a salvaged truck for parts and store it. It may be cheaper.
GASP! Only 1.2 million! :D

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
GASP! Only 1.2 million! :D
That's only 4 times the amount I need to justify the purchase of the vehicle. :)

I've calculated that I've saved ~$23k in gas over the past 2 years and 101,000 miles. That means in about 6 or so years from now it should start being "profitable". :clap:
Sponsored