• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

OTA Update Question

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
Well even though I think it's stupid, I am going to try my hand at FDRS so wish me luck. Bought the Mongoose adapter and a power supply and should be here Friday.
I’m just about to pull the trigger on all this. Been looking at buying the mongoose, a pyramid 50amp power supply and the 10awg dc +|- power cables to hook to battery while updating. Please do share your experiences. I’m 1-2 +|- weeks from being able to take on this project. Best of luck to you..!!
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I think the really insulting part isn't the having to work on your own vehicle, it's the idea of paying ford a license fee to use the FDRS software to apply the updates that they were supposed to send OTA. I shouldn't have to pay them to do their job for them. That license fee is extremely insulting.
I don't disagree with you at all. If it makes you feel any better, even dealers have to buy the fdrs license from Ford for every laptop they have in their service department.

OP
OP

pkirby11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Oh, you're good. Your truck is already on the latest Sync version and 6.4.0 is the last power-up update you got. The SCCM is 6.5.0. Once you do that, it should release an IPC update which would be 6.8.0 and give you the % on the cluster if you don't already have it. The CMR is OTA 6.13.0/CMR-FX.

The powertrain updates that @mr.Magoo mentioned seem to have been pulled from FDRS so you don't have to worry about avoiding any updates. The BCM update will ask you for a password and you won't be able to do. This is due to an issue Ford needs to fix.

Bearing no issues, you have about 6-8 hours worth of updates to do. The CMR will take 45-60 minutes. The PSCM and IPMA are tied to each other and the IPMA takes 3 hours, so don't start either one unless you have time to see them through. The PSCM/IPMA updates are part of the package for Bluecruise 1.4. Because you decided to take the FDRS plunge, once you update your truck, I will tell you what you need to do to activate BC 1.4.

You can count on my support throughout the process. Message me when you're ready to start. Which power supply did you order? That piece of equipment is very important.

1715827813103-bd.png
Thank you so much for all the support, you seem like a very awesome person. I got a power supply recommended on here but will have to look don't remember the one specifically. The BC 1.4 ability has me even more stoked now. Not to mention just having a fully up to date truck that hopefully some of these little annoyances may disappear.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thank you !
I’m checking now on what power supply you use or might recommend or anyone else as I’ve been told with the small batteries in these trucks having the battery on a charger is highly suggested. Wondering if a minimum amperage needed or what not while updating 1,2,3 hours at a time….
The recommended power supply is the Clore PL6100.

Sponsored

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
I saw another person recommend this one as a true power supply model

https://a.co/d/h4hFAuA

Pyramid Universal Compact Bench Power Supply - 50 Amp Variable Linear Regulated AC to DC Power Converter/Power Supply Adjustable DC Voltage Supply with Amperage Gauge, Volt Meter, USB Port - PSV500

Was leaning towards it due to very good brand from ham radio operators or test bench folks. Of course it requires ordering a set of $15 cables also.

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
IMO, they are not trying to be customer focused anything. All they and any other manufacturers care about is selling vehicles and as many of them as possible to get as much market share as possible. None of the fat-cat corporate guys at Ford give a crap about our updates or lack thereof; and the same applies at other brands. The people that can do anything about the updates have to jump through hoops dealing with third party module vendors and internal bureaucratic policies to make a simple change in a line of code within a single module in a very complex strategic module network.

As the employee of a dealer who sells and services 9 different brands of which half of them offer OTA updates, I can tell you the grass is not greener on the other side. I don't think there's any manufacturer out there putting in the amount of work Ford is in terms of the amount of updates they release. I agree the deployment process of these updates is garbage. As someone who has owned 15 different Ford vehicle since I started driving, none of this OTA stuff will prevent me from buying another one. They provide the avenue for me to update it myself, and they facilitate that update process by making certain module updatable via USB so that you don't spend hours upon hours writing an update via CAN (which other brands also do not do).

While on the surface, it may look like the update process is a clusterfudge, they are light years ahead of competitors doing the same things.
I really like this forum where we can get opinions and perspectives from owners, and people like you who work on the front lines at dealers. I have the utmost respect for your opinions and insights. I make my observations not to criticize but to illuminate to Ford they have an issue which is impacting Owner experience and loyalty. I understand the update experience is not good, but the communication process is worse and Ford Corporation and the Dealers point their fingers at each other. Communication on update status and schedules in the Truck would go along way to solve this even if updates are not rolled out quickly.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Does anyone else get all of the FM radio station presets wiped out with every OTA update? Freaking PITA.

Daragh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
I'm giving serious consideration into purchasing the necessary equipment (Power Supply, Cable and FDRS temporary license) to perform updates myself.

But before I purchase I have the following questions hopefully folks on here can help answer:

1) Will using FDRS at home void any Ford warranty (either standard 3 year or purchased ESP)?

2) Will FDRS allow you see all available updates for your truck and will it pull any additional updates required (one module update needs another etc)?

3) When I purchase a 2 day license is that license locked to one VIN or can I use that license to update multiple vehicles?

4) Will using FDRS remove you from any future OTA updates or the OTA queue, meaning you will always have to use FDRS moving forward?

5) What is the best cable recommend for home use with FDRS (use it maybe 2-3 per year)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I'm giving serious consideration into purchasing the necessary equipment (Power Supply, Cable and FDRS temporary license) to perform updates myself.

But before I purchase I have the following questions hopefully folks on here can help answer:
1) Will using FDRS at home void any Ford warranty (either standard 3 year or purchased ESP)?

No, it will not void warranty. However, if something happens during an update that you can't figure out, it will not be covered by warranty. I have yet to see this happen to anyone.

2) Will FDRS allow you see all available updates for your truck and will it pull any additional updates required (one module update needs another etc)?

Yes, updating certain modules can cause other updates to release as certain updates have to be done sequentially.

3) When I purchase a 2 day license is that license locked to one VIN or can I use that license to update multiple vehicles?

It is locked to one pc, but you can use it on as many vehicles as you want while the license is active.

4) Will using FDRS remove you from any future OTA updates or the OTA queue, meaning you will always have to use FDRS moving forward?

No, OTA's will still function as designed. If you fully update with FDRS, it may be a while before you get any, but that is because you did all the updates that would have come in OTA already with FDRS.

5) What is the best cable recommend for home use with FDRS (use it maybe 2-3 per year)?

Mongoose Plus and that one only. I do not recommend those $150 knock-off cables from China. If you can find a used Mongoose on ebay or something, that's fine. Just ensure it is the one for Ford as they are brand specific and look identical to each other.

Daragh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer

No, it will not void warranty. However, if something happens during an update that you can't figure out, it will not be covered by warranty. I have yet to see this happen to anyone.

Yes, updating certain modules can cause other updates to release as certain updates have to be done sequentially.

It is locked to one pc, but you can use it on as many vehicles as you want while the license is active.

No, OTA's will still function as designed. If you fully update with FDRS, it may be a while before you get any, but that is because you did all the updates that would have come in OTA already with FDRS.

Mongoose Plus and that one only. I do not recommend those $150 knock-off cables from China. If you can find a used Mongoose on ebay or something, that's fine. Just ensure it is the one for Ford as they are brand specific and look identical to each other.

Thanks so much, really appreciate the detailed response.

Going to make the necessary hardware purchases today and the license once everything comes in 😁.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Thanks so much, really appreciate the detailed response.

Going to make the necessary hardware purchases today and the license once everything comes in 😁.
Send me your VIN.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
1FTVW1EVXPWG28766 - This is my Lightning

1FTFW1E82MFC01043 - This is my ICE F150

Any chance you could look at both?

Thanks!
The Lightning is on the latest Sync version and looks pretty straight forward. It's not showing the powertrain updates that are on hold, so nothing to avoid.

The F150 may be a problem. APIM was replaced and I can't find any record in vehicle history of when it was programmed to see if they did it correctly. That truck has Sync software on it from 2021. I would need to see a picture of the entire "about sync" screen to see if everything matches up with what Ford has on the server side. PM it to me to not further derail this thread.

Edit: If it is a problem, it can ben fixed. I will have to incorporate the help of the guru who is over on the ICE forums, but it can be fixed.
Sponsored