First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
On your spreadsheet, you're starting at 82% and ending at 85%. Close enough for government work. Or, you can add in the cost of what it would be to go from 85 to 100% even though you didn't do it, and drop the first number getting you to 100%, because it's irrelevant.

It's the gas truck numbers that are illogical. Simple math comes up with much lower numbers. Your step #1 should not be counted. You leave with a full tank, you return with a full tank. If you leave with 75%, then fill up, and then upon return fill up again, you're overcounting by 1/4 tank.

Thanks for your feedback. On my spreadsheet, I started at 82% SoC and charged to 100%, costing $5.51. At the end of the trip, I went from 20% to 85%, which is my usual SoC.

I appreciate you pointing out the issue with my gas calculations. You're right; I mistakenly included a full tank refill at the end instead of the original 3/4 tank. Adjusting the final fill-up to only 3/4 of the tank results in the following:

• Total Fuel Purchased: 57.0 gallons.
  • Total Cost: Approximately $188.10.
This adjustment more accurately reflects the initial fuel state and provides a precise comparison. With this correction, the gasoline vehicle cost for the trip is $188.10. Comparing this to the EV charging cost of $149.43:

• Savings Using EV: Approximately $38.67.
  • Percentage Savings: About 20.56%.
Even with the adjusted gasoline refilling strategy, using an EV still offers significant cost savings in this scenario.

Thanks for helping me see that.
Sponsored

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Thanks for sharing the info. Eventually plan on going back to the Harlingen/SPI area for a visit, but a dearth of fast chargers has had me reconsidering the LER for the trip. At least this lets me get a decent idea of what to expect in real life.

Had the same issue with a plan to go to Big Bend. I'd like to take the Lightning, but our Yukon w/ the Duramax will probably be the better choice.

Regarding fuel savings, I've found savings of regular gas vs DC charger to be marginal. Throw in the loss of time and potential additional nights needed on longer trips, and the advantage might be removed. This is coming from a guy who has spent a substantial number of hours fast charging since purchasing in December.

OP
OP
CypherBlue

CypherBlue

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thanks for sharing the info. Eventually plan on going back to the Harlingen/SPI area for a visit, but a dearth of fast chargers has me thinking we'd probably take our Yukon instead. At least this let's me get a decent idea of what to expect in real life.

Had the same issue with a plan to go to Big Bend. I'd like to take the Lightning, but our Yukon w/ the Duramax will probably be the better choice.
Yeah, the Valley is behind, but if you have a Tesla Adaptor, whether A2Z, Ford, or Lectron, you will be in good shape; there are three NACS Tesla-compatible chargers in the lower valley: Mercedes, Harlingen, and Brownsville. There are also Destination Chargers at the Hotels on South Padre Island.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Yeah, the Valley is behind, but if you have a Tesla Adaptor, whether A2Z, Ford, or Lectron, you will be in good shape; there are three NACS Tesla-compatible chargers in the lower valley: Mercedes, Harlingen, and Brownsville. There are also Destination Chargers at the Hotels on South Padre Island.
Getting supercharger access was the best thing that ever happened to Lightning owners. I've used the A2Z extensively. I was going to move to something other than EV truck when I get my buyback offer, but that may be the single biggest thing that tips me in favor of just replacing my LER.

OP
OP
CypherBlue

CypherBlue

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Getting supercharger access was the best thing that ever happened to Lightning owners. I've used the A2Z extensively. I was going to move to something other than EV truck when I get my buyback offer, but that may be the single biggest thing that tips me in favor of just replacing my LER.
I agree; when they announced it, it was the factor that led me to buy my lightning. There was also a
Texas' National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) grant for additional sites and upgrades, the McAllen Tesla Supercharger should be upgraded soon to have compatibility with our lightning and additional sites in the upper valley Edinburg and Raymondville. I am also excited for the Tesla Superchargers in Three Rivers or Alice to be upgraded with that capability as well. Once that happens, I will not need to stop in Corpus.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks for sharing the info. Eventually plan on going back to the Harlingen/SPI area for a visit, but a dearth of fast chargers has had me reconsidering the LER for the trip. At least this lets me get a decent idea of what to expect in real life.

Regarding fuel savings, I've found savings of regular gas vs DC charger to be marginal. Throw in the loss of time and potential additional nights needed on longer trips, and the advantage might be removed. This is coming from a guy who has spent a substantial number of hours fast charging since purchasing in December.
This does not give you a decent idea until you realize that the charger the OP used in Corpus Christi is about 50 miles round trip off his route.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
This does not give you a decent idea until you realize that the charger the OP used in Corpus Christi is about 50 miles round trip off his route.
Good point that I overlooked. Is there no way to make it from SA to the valley without the deviation? I guess I can look at ABRP, just assumed it wouldn't be necessary. OP do you have a SR or ER?

OP
OP
CypherBlue

CypherBlue

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
Good point that I overlooked. Is there no way to make it from SA to the valley without the deviation? I guess I can look at ABRP, just assumed it wouldn't be necessary. OP do you have a SR or ER?

I have an ER, it’s about 243 miles from the center of SA to McAllen. Hwy range is supposed to be like 260 at 65mph but I don’t like those margins, it’s really tight. You can stop in Kingsville at a dealer to charge but then you are limited by their operating hours, Sundays are a no go. Until the Tesla chargers in Three Rivers or Alice are upgraded or someone else adds a Fast Charger in the middle; I don’t think I’ll stop going to corpus to charge.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Returning to Corpus Christi against our usual Southeast winds I have trouble making it 200 miles after charging to 90% in my ER. You have to find a truck to draft behind or go 10 under the speed limit. People who drive busy interstates with 65-70 mph speed limits don’t have the same issue. Wide open spaces and higher speeds kill range.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Returning to Corpus Christi against our usual Southeast winds I have trouble making it 200 miles after charging to 90% in my ER. You have to find a truck to draft behind or go 10 under the speed limit. People who drive busy interstates with 65-70 mph speed limits don’t have the same issue. Wide open spaces and higher speeds kill range.
Timely discussion as I negotiate whether to swap LER's or go back to ICE F-150 on the buyback. Appreciate the info ya'll.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
from my perspective, with 42,000 miles, and MANY DC Fast Charging stops along the way, the only 'real world' way to calculate a true perspective on 'm/pkwh vs m/pg' comparison is to include ALL fuel costs, over a FULL MONTH OF DRIVING, or even a YEAR, including all travels and 'around the home' costs.
Trying to sparse out a specific trip is not going to render true-world cost, since costs are not simply 'per trip'... they are over the FULL OWNERSHIP of the vehicle and miles driven.

Numbers can always be skewed to lean one way or the other, if you are bound and determined to see it your way. Most gas owners will balk at your 'calculations'. Most EV owners will balk at your 'calculations'.
In the end, it doesn't really matter. You own the vehicle. Drive it. Be happy.

I'm happy. Very HAPPY.
Ford F-150 Lightning Austin to McAllen, Real World Results Model A and the LIGHTNING! 1922 to 2022....JPG
Ford F-150 Lightning Austin to McAllen, Real World Results IMG-6840.PNG

richl025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Nice report! I used to live in SA and would travel down to McAllen for work occasionally - before I got my Lightning, but that area of So Texas was definitely a concern of mine when I was contemplating (actually, while I was still on the wait list <g>).

You're right, upgrading those Superchargers at the truck stop in Alice will go a long way to making the trip more efficient!

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Those EA chargers in Seguin are super nice, plus if the weather is good and it's a weekday, you may see jets practicing landings nearby.

Jimbalf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired

I’ve been looking at that Big Bend trip myself ( from Austin) and although it looks like you can get to the Basin and back out, there is not much margin for driving around the park. I was told by a National Parks person, that the Basin Lodge is being renovated and as part of that they are going to install EV charging capability. Don’t know the time frame, but I’ll be watching.

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lariat ER, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
I'm doing the reverse, Mcallen to San Antonio. The app tells me to stop at a DC fast charger aztec chevrolet buik gmc in Beeville. Has anyone been there?

I have the typhoon A2Z adapter for tesla if there are any. Will also need to charge up in San Antonio before leaving.

Advice?
Sponsored