First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT SR, Max Tow, 23 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Just started today, I was not monitoring the 12v with carscanner but started to after the warning, I got the dreaded sleep mode from FP when I went to remote start after 9 hours at the office. I thought that was strange and the truck had no videos on the screens. Then I got the 12v warning. I drove home. I let it sit in the driveway for 6 hours and this is what carscanner recorded. Same error and no interior lights at 10 pm. I am scheduled for the 12v monitor module replacement on the 26th but losing possibly 50% of 12v capacity parked and locked is concerning. Any suggestions? I will load test the battery at daylight.....it looks like a small constant 79 ma load recorded but that would not kill the battery....this fast and I am not sure what that data point actually is yet. I have removed my BT ObD for now to see what I have in the AM… tomorrow is a 200 mile road trip…..
I may put my jump Pack in the truck just in case.
Ford F-150 Lightning Starting to get LVB 12v warnings... Screenshot_20240531-223900

Ford F-150 Lightning Starting to get LVB 12v warnings... Screenshot_20240531-161700
Ford F-150 Lightning Starting to get LVB 12v warnings... IMG_7156
Sponsored

Last edited:

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Was your truck in run mode during that 6 hours? CarScanner will drain your battery if you’re in Accessory mode or off. Unplug your dongle when vehicle not “running”. The truck will not charge your 12v in accessory mode.

When I have gotten the battery saver message it’s because something was plugged in and using juice with truck off. For me it was the Bluetooth dongle I use for CarScanner (Whether CarScanner is running or not).

Also charging your HVB will allow the truck to also charge your 12V battery.

That red battery icon in lower right is telling you the 12v battery is being used all by its lonesome. Not good long term.
Ford F-150 Lightning Starting to get LVB 12v warnings... IMG_0545

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Don’t believe anything reported by the BMS if you still have the old, faulty one. Mine was all over the place and I was convinced the 12V was bad but since I got the update it’s stays solid between 80 and 100%. Carrying the jump pack isn’t a bad idea though.

OP
OP

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Was your truck in run mode during that 6 hours? CarScanner will drain your battery if you’re in Accessory mode or off. Unplug your dongle when vehicle not “running”. The truck will not charge your 12v in accessory mode.

When I have gotten the battery saver message it’s because something was plugged in and using juice with truck off. For me it was the Bluetooth dongle I use for CarScanner (Whether CarScanner is running or not).

Also charging your HVB will allow the truck to also charge your 12V battery.

That red battery icon in lower right is telling you the 12v battery is being used all by its lonesome. Not good long term.
IMG_0545.jpeg
No it was off All day while charging at work. The icon came on when I was in accessory mode just before before starting and seeing the warning. I have removed the dongle As of last night and Going to give it a check in a few.

OP
OP

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Don’t believe anything reported by the BMS if you still have the old, faulty one. Mine was all over the place and I was convinced the 12V was bad but since I got the update it’s stays solid between 80 and 100%. Carrying the jump pack isn’t a bad idea though.
Thanks. I wish they could do it faster. a month wait for a CSP and a factory defective tire replacement sucks. they asked me to send a battery monitor module photo to the service manager last week.

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Maybe a $20-$30 trickle charger for the 12V battery would be a good investment?
I am waiting for two "Customer Satisfaction Program" fixes, but haven't had any issues yet.

Description High voltage battery module replacement andor battery energy control module becm software update
Campaign# 23B57
-----
Description Battery monitor sensor replacement
Campaign# 23B70

They have to order the part for the EDIT: SECOND [first] one, and they told me the EDIT: FIRST [second] one has been temporarily halted by Ford - not sure what the issue is with it though.

Since everything SEEMS to be working fine I am always hesitant about these things - if it ain't broke don't fix it - but how can I really be sure? All the scanners in the world won't help me if the data in the truck is funky.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
There are exceptions to every "rule," as mentioned in various other threads. Whether Car Scanner will drain your battery or not depends in good part on what OBDII dongle you have. I have an OBDLink MX+ dongle I leave in my truck all the time. According to OBDLink, when the truck is off, the MX+ goes to sleep and only draws 2 mA vs. 62 mA when on. If I run CarScanner, I always DISCONNECT from Bluetooth and forcekill the app by swiping it all the way up from the iOS App Switcher screen so there's no impetus for Car Scanner to wake up my truck if I walk by it in the kitchen with the truck a few feet away in the garage (I usually run my iPhone in Battery Saver Mode, too, unless I'm driving).

Also, when my 2023 Lightning ER is plugged into my FCSP, it enters "Full-Accessory Mode." It won't run full-on because the FCSP charger head is in the truck's charger port. But Car Scanner shows that the truck is charging the LVB and drawing about 1 A. The LED on the face of my FCSP blinks while the truck is in full-accessory mode, indicating the FCSP is providing power to the truck even though it's already at its charging limit (50%). Since I drive very little (<3,000 miles in one year), I maintain my LVB daily by running the truck an hour or two a day in full-accessory mode in my garage.

Have to preface the following by saying I saw my dealer on 1/11/24 to get the BMS replacement. It was on back order and the dealer hasn't followed through yet. My truck still has its OEM BMS.

Now, here's the good part. Last night I charged the truck's LVB to 82%. Today, I saw the following in FordPass v5.02 (which I've never, ever seen before):
Ford F-150 Lightning Starting to get LVB 12v warnings... IMG_0982.PNG

I asked MS Copilot what this might be all about for a Ford F-150 Lightning. Copilot claimed when the LVB % SOC drops to the 10% to 20% range, the truck will enter Battery Saver Mode and shut down a bunch of functions to avoid hitting 0% SOC and not being able to start the truck.

Uh Oh! entered my mind. My online Ford Dashboard, though, showed my LVB % SOC as 57% (and compared to the next screen, it shows the online Ford Dashboard does not have the most current truck LVB % SOC info unless you manually trigger an update in FordPass: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...lete-redesign-5-0-3-bug-fix.19542/post-400052)
Ford F-150 Lightning Starting to get LVB 12v warnings... IMG_0983_EDT

Car Scanner showed my LVB % SOC was about 47%, though. The 14.4 V for the 12V battery V also shows the LVB is being charged in full-accessory mode as stated above.
Ford F-150 Lightning Starting to get LVB 12v warnings... IMG_0984.PNG

Anyway, I clearly hadn't hit 10% to 20% LVB SOC if one can trust the Car Scanner readings. Perhaps the lack of a replacement BMS had something to do with entering Battery Saver Mode. It seems more likely a glitch in the new FordPass v5.x app, though, as a bunch of other folks are reporting the same Battery Saver Mode alert (https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...lete-redesign-5-0-3-bug-fix.19542/post-394354). I've gone months with my old OEM BMS and never gotten the alert before. I've previously let the LVB % SOC dip down into the 40% to 30% range and gotten the truck to trigger its programmed recharging mechanism, too, and not gotten the alert..

Last edited:

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Maybe a $20-$30 trickle charger for the 12V battery would be a good investment?
I am waiting for two "Customer Satisfaction Program" fixes, but haven't had any issues yet.

Description High voltage battery module replacement andor battery energy control module becm software update
Campaign# 23B57
-----
Description Battery monitor sensor replacement
Campaign# 23B70

They have to order the part for the first one, and they told me the second one has been temporarily halted by Ford - not sure what the issue is with it though.

Since everything SEEMS to be working fine I am always hesitant about these things - if it ain't broke don't fix it - but how can I really be sure? All the scanners in the world won't help me if the data in the truck is funky.

Fingers crossed.
23B57 is the one that's on hold. It involves updating the truck's powertrain modules...and then after that happens...if the BECM module detects a cell imbalance the truck reports that to the cloud and new cell parts are ordered to replace the ones that are out of tolerance on your truck.

23B50 on the other hand is a $20 BMS sensor to replace the one that came with the truck and is known to provide unreliable and erroneous readings...so it should not be relied on as a valid source of info. This program is NOT on hold and the only thing I can think of that's holding this up from being ordered is having your service advisor confirm that a new one is needed by having them check the part number of the one that's installed.....or you sending your service advisor a picture showing the part number of the one currently attached to your battery's negative terminal. Until you get that sensor replaced all sorts of stupid stuff like low battery readings and warnings, and a lack of OTA processing due to perceived low 12V battery SOC, etc. will happen.

I just bought the sensor outright and installed it in 10 minutes with a 10mm wrench. My 12V battery has read around 98-99% ever since.

And the car scanner? It would be reading the sensor values from the currently installed BMS sensor right? And that's the one that is known to be faulty....so it's best to get that new one installed and be done with that problem once and for all.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
My truck is charged once a week now, last plugged in Sunday evening to get my SOC back to 90% on the HVB, since then it's been unplugged and driven the past two days (Mon & Tues).

Today I have the trailer attached for a local hauling job, HVB is only at 75%, range is ~117 miles inferred 1.2 MPK.

Ford F-150 Lightning Starting to get LVB 12v warnings... 1719405743856-ni

The LVB has been maintained by the new BMS, it's at 98% this morning, no special handling /charging routines needed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Starting to get LVB 12v warnings... 1719405733347-km

OP
OP

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
My CSP for the battery monitor is being done right now. . Hopefully no more issues….also a bad tire that failed a roadforce with 35# of force. We will see if they replace it or tell me it’s Normal. Over A month wait for this appointment and when I heard they did not order the tire this AM…I knew things will not be fully resolved today.. I am sure “we cannot duplicate the issue” is coming soon.

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23B57 is the one that's on hold. It involves updating the truck's powertrain modules...and then after that happens...if the BECM module detects a cell imbalance the truck reports that to the cloud and new cell parts are ordered to replace the ones that are out of tolerance on your truck.

23B50 on the other hand is a $20 BMS sensor to replace the one that came with the truck and is known to provide unreliable and erroneous readings...so it should not be relied on as a valid source of info. This program is NOT on hold and the only thing I can think of that's holding this up from being ordered is having your service advisor confirm that a new one is needed by having them check the part number of the one that's installed.....or you sending your service advisor a picture showing the part number of the one currently attached to your battery's negative terminal. Until you get that sensor replaced all sorts of stupid stuff like low battery readings and warnings, and a lack of OTA processing due to perceived low 12V battery SOC, etc. will happen.

I just bought the sensor outright and installed it in 10 minutes with a 10mm wrench. My 12V battery has read around 98-99% ever since.

And the car scanner? It would be reading the sensor values from the currently installed BMS sensor right? And that's the one that is known to be faulty....so it's best to get that new one installed and be done with that problem once and for all.
Yes, I had them reversed, I edited the post to correct that.
I took the truck there and they looked at it and said they ordered the part, but it's been a long wait.

OP
OP

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
My CSP for the battery monitor is being done right now. . Hopefully no more issues….also a bad tire that failed a roadforce with 35# of force. We will see if they replace it or tell me it’s Normal. Over A month wait for this appointment and when I heard they did not order the tire this AM…I knew things will not be fully resolved today.. I am sure “we cannot duplicate the issue” is coming soon.
Yup. “We feel the shake but our balancer is broken so you need to bring it back again so we can prove it’s bad and get a replacement”. But I have a slip from my tire place and a roadforce report that says it has 36# of RF. “Oh but they may be wrong” ….uugh. My dealer is 1 hour from home and this is what I get. I cannot wait to pull the batt cover and see if there is a new monitor module there….

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
23B50 on the other hand is a $20 BMS sensor to replace the one that came with the truck and is known to provide unreliable and erroneous readings...so it should not be relied on as a valid source of info.
With me, I allowed in my previous post above that entering Battery Saver Mode might have something to do with the BMS not yet being replaced, but for me, the BMS is only a minor suspect. My OEM BMS has not been all over the place. It's been very consistent, my LVB SOC only dropping 5% to 10% a day, usually in the mid-70-percentiles charged after sitting a day, charging up to over 80% in an hour or two with the truck run plugged in full-accessory mode. This is the first time the LVB % SOC has ever dropped so precipitously in a single day and the first time, AFAIK, that I've ever entered Battery Saver Mode and had FordPass disabled.

Don't know if it could have anything to do with it but several days ago, the ECG-24.2.4.9 update failed for my truck and hasn't been repaired. Also, I've been complaining to Ford for the last two months about the performance of my FCSP and the truck in performing backup power transfer. Ford has given me zero response beyond hand-holding and promising to escalate my case and make good but I've wondered if the LVB % SOC drop could in any way be related to them investigating the state of my truck behind the scenes. Would any updates or repairs they try to issue always show up through the Software Updates page of the truck SYNC screen? I have an OBDLink MX+ dongle and have run FDRS through a Windows PC. Would anything Ford does with my truck show up through FDRS?

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
With me, I allowed in my previous post above that entering Battery Saver Mode might have something to do with the BMS not yet being replaced, but for me, the BMS is only a minor suspect. My OEM BMS has not been all over the place. It's been very consistent, my LVB SOC only dropping 5% to 10% a day, usually in the mid-70-percentiles charged after sitting a day, charging up to over 80% in an hour or two with the truck run plugged in full-accessory mode. This is the first time the LVB % SOC has ever dropped so precipitously in a single day and the first time, AFAIK, that I've ever entered Battery Saver Mode and had FordPass disabled.

Don't know if it could have anything to do with it but several days ago, the ECG-24.2.4.9 update failed for my truck and hasn't been repaired. Also, I've been complaining to Ford for the last two months about the performance of my FCSP and the truck in performing backup power transfer. Ford has given me zero response beyond hand-holding and promising to escalate my case and make good but I've wondered if the LVB % SOC drop could in any way be related to them investigating the state of my truck behind the scenes. Would any updates or repairs they try to issue always show up through the Software Updates page of the truck SYNC screen? I have an OBDLink MX+ dongle and have run FDRS through a Windows PC. Would anything Ford does with my truck show up through FDRS?
Inoperative Intelligent Backup Power functionality is mentioned in SSM 52527. That's the SSM that outlines the reasons that those of us with the latest powertrain software are experiencing SOBDM and SOBDMC DTCs daily...and the fact that "sometime in June" we're supposed to get a GWM (gateway) update that's intended to correct this issue. So until that gets fixed I don't expect anybody with a FCSP to get full functionality back, among other things. So until you get that gateway update......🤷‍♂️
Ford F-150 Lightning Starting to get LVB 12v warnings... SSM_52527_Lightni

Oh, and ECG = GWM.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So for the last few days, I have been notified in FordPass that there is an update pending ans it will be installed within the next 24 hours at the time scheduled (1AM) - in the truck, the software update screen also mentions an update, and part of the update is the 23B57 CSP that was on hold.

However, every morning I have a message in FordPass that the update failed [WAS INTERRUPTED] for one of a number of reasons, none of which apply - truck WAS parked, WAS off, WAS NOT fast charging, lights WERE off, doors WERE locked.

Then it says if there are problems call them.

What fun.
Sponsored

Last edited: