• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Using ABRP, is OBD worth the investment?

thicketmatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
โ€˜23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER max tow
Occupation
Ocean shipping, retired
I use ABRP for my planning, but I do not have live data via an OBD dongle. Do you feel itโ€™s worth the investment? If so, which make/model do you suggest (and any supporting apps) for an apple iOS user. Thanks,
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I use ABRP for my planning, but I do not have live data via an OBD dongle. Do you feel itโ€™s worth the investment? If so, which make/model do you suggest (and any supporting apps) for an apple iOS user. Thanks,
I have put tens of thousands of miles on my two EVs. I use ABRP extensively, and simply use the free version. No reason to pay or get live data IMO.

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
If you're using iOS the Apple Maps EV integration is a big upgrade over the standard nav as it factors in your real time SoC etc. I do have a Bluetooth LE OBDII dongle and it works well with ABRP. I got by just fine with the non-live data version too, but with live data it's better.

This is the OBD link I use - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NFLL3NT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With that reader and an app like Car Scanner (which has a profile for the Lightning) you can see an absolutely immense amount of data for your Lightning.

jlcreasy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I use the same ABRP and adapter. I've found it very useful and for me much more range accurate than the update Maps EV.

Golieguy64

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
If you're using iOS the Apple Maps EV integration is a big upgrade over the standard nav as it factors in your real time SoC etc. I do have a Bluetooth LE OBDII dongle and it works well with ABRP. I got by just fine with the non-live data version too, but with live data it's better.

This is the OBD link I use - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NFLL3NT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With that reader and an app like Car Scanner (which has a profile for the Lightning) you can see an absolutely immense amount of data for your Lightning.
It is probably just user error, but for the life of me, I can only select F150 BEV profile, and it only reads out useless F150 ICE data on the diags, etc. Is that the right model to select, or is there an entire different profile I should be using?

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
It is probably just user error, but for the life of me, I can only select F150 BEV profile, and it only reads out useless F150 ICE data on the diags, etc. Is that the right model to select, or is there an entire different profile I should be using?
I use the Mustang Mach E/F-150 Lightning profile.

Ford F-150 Lightning Using ABRP, is OBD worth the investment? IMG_0659

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
carys98 answered you too, that's the profile I use albeit my connection profile is slightly different in that it also references the E-Transit. That may just be an iOS vs Android thing. Regardless, yes there is indeed an absolute TON of EV specific data avaialble to you with the right profile.

Ford F-150 Lightning Using ABRP, is OBD worth the investment? IMG_2225

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
carys98 answered you too, that's the profile I use albeit my connection profile is slightly different in that it also references the E-Transit. That may just be an iOS vs Android thing. Regardless, yes there is indeed an absolute TON of EV specific data avaialble to you with the right profile.

IMG_2225.jpg
There must have been an update. I went through the menu again and now I have the E-Transit version. The old one is gone so I wonder if they just renamed it or if there are some new PIDs.
Sponsored