Sponsored

Tire issue or alignment -- Anyone else seeing this kind of wear?

OP
OP

j150

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning 2023 Lariat Extended Range.
Dealer did not offer that.
Noted.
Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I looked at mine today. 4300 miles / 6 months and there is definitely abnormal wear on front inside tires. I’ll see if dealer will align it under warranty.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
A quick search came up with this: We will see how it goes. I will be going in for the Low voltage battery bms thingy shortly. I’ll. Bring the tire wear up at that visit.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tire issue or alignment -- Anyone else seeing this kind of wear? IMG_1245
Ford F-150 Lightning Tire issue or alignment -- Anyone else seeing this kind of wear? IMG_1244

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Well well well... super interesting post. I noticed this yesterday and was going to post, and found your thread. I have the IDENTICAL problem. With so many people having this outside-edge tire wear BECAUSE of a poor alignment, it seems to be a FACTORY issue. @Ford Motor Company what do yo say about that? Am I going to be out several hundred bucks for new tires because of poor assembly/alignment? Ford this sounds like a recall service to me... (fingers crossed that my tire warranty add-on covers this)

20k miles, wheels have always been inflated to proper amounts (35-ish psi)

Here is my front tire wear, same on both tires. I also have some wear on the rear tires, but it's not as bad...

Ford F-150 Lightning Tire issue or alignment -- Anyone else seeing this kind of wear? IMG_0552

Rear tires - not as bad but definitely there is more wear on the outside. So do I replace all 4 tires after getting a full alignment????
Ford F-150 Lightning Tire issue or alignment -- Anyone else seeing this kind of wear? IMG_0551

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Well well well... super interesting post. I noticed this yesterday and was going to post, and found your thread. I have the IDENTICAL problem. With so many people having this outside-edge tire wear BECAUSE of a poor alignment, it seems to be a FACTORY issue. @Ford Motor Company what do yo say about that? Am I going to be out several hundred bucks for new tires because of poor assembly/alignment? Ford this sounds like a recall service to me... (fingers crossed that my tire warranty add-on covers this)

20k miles, wheels have always been inflated to proper amounts (35-ish psi)

Here is my front tire wear, same on both tires. I also have some wear on the rear tires, but it's not as bad...

IMG_0552.jpeg

Rear tires - not as bad but definitely there is more wear on the outside. So do I replace all 4 tires after getting a full alignment????
IMG_0551.jpeg
35 PSI sounds low. Mine calls for 41.
Have you rotated the tires?

Sponsored

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
35 PSI sounds low. Mine calls for 41.
Have you rotated the tires?
I’d have to check if they rotated the tires at 10k, I don’t remember. And the Ford app says 36 psi is ideal cold psi, and that’s where I’m at. 🤷🏻
Ford F-150 Lightning Tire issue or alignment -- Anyone else seeing this kind of wear? 1719027334393-vl

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
7k miles looks like my fronts are wearing like y’all’s

Ford F-150 Lightning Tire issue or alignment -- Anyone else seeing this kind of wear? IMG_0638

Ford F-150 Lightning Tire issue or alignment -- Anyone else seeing this kind of wear? IMG_0636

here are the rears. Due for 1 year next month.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tire issue or alignment -- Anyone else seeing this kind of wear? IMG_0637

Last edited:

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I have a 2022 Platinum with which I run stock wheels and tires (General Grabber All-Season) in the summer and 20" Lariat take-offs (Hankook All-Terrain) in the winter. I run both at 42 psi cold. Both sets of tires have about 10,000 miles. The result is a natural experiment. See photos below.

In my opinion, the Hankooks wear unevenly. My experiment certainly didn't eliminate all variables though so who knows.

This is the outside of a 22" General Grabber All-Season. It's representative of all tires. Consistent wear across the tread.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tire issue or alignment -- Anyone else seeing this kind of wear? 1000004499

This is the outside of a Hankook All-Terrain. It's representative of all tires, more wear on the edges of the tires, especially the outside edge.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tire issue or alignment -- Anyone else seeing this kind of wear? 1000004498

The inside edge of a Hankook All-Terrain. Some uneven wear but not as bad as the outside.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tire issue or alignment -- Anyone else seeing this kind of wear? 1000004500

Ford F-150 Lightning Tire issue or alignment -- Anyone else seeing this kind of wear? 1000004498

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I’d have to check if they rotated the tires at 10k, I don’t remember. And the Ford app says 36 psi is ideal cold psi, and that’s where I’m at. 🤷🏻
1719027334393-vl.png
Must be a lower recommendation due to the less weight of the SR and/or type of tire. I’d still check the sticker in the door jamb to verify, though.

Since the front & rears have about the same miles at each end, it’s possible that something‘s gotten out of alignment on the front since the last rotation. Otherwise, the wear should be about the same.

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Must be a lower recommendation due to the less weight of the SR and/or type of tire. I’d still check the sticker in the door jamb to verify, though.

Since the front & rears have about the same miles at each end, it’s possible that something‘s gotten out of alignment on the front since the last rotation. Otherwise, the wear should be about the same.
Door jam sticker also shows 36 psi. So I'm dialed in on that.

"possible something has gotten out of alignment" --> yes for sure something is messed up. And if it's happening to a bunch of owners, then something must be WRONG to have such a common issue? I have never had any thing like this on any car or truck I have owned. Certainly the extra weight is causing an issue, but why are so many people experiencing this problem?

Likely the issue existed when the truck shipped from the factory as the rears are also showing similar wear (although not as much). And I can't verify with 100% certainty that I rotated the tires at 10k miles or not. Still looking for my service receipt on that. I had a bunch of other problems that were fixed by one dealer, only to have that dealer mess a bunch of other things up and had to go to another dealer to correct them... so tire rotation was the least of my worries at the time, especially as I never expected to have such a problem.

Sponsored

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I have a 2022 Platinum with which I run stock wheels and tires (General Grabber All-Season) in the summer and 20" Lariat take-offs (Hankook All-Terrain) in the winter. I run both at 42 psi cold. Both sets of tires have about 10,000 miles. The result is a natural experiment. See photos below.

In my opinion, the Hankooks wear unevenly. My experiment certainly didn't eliminate all variables though so who knows.
Well that is interesting. I have a '22 Lariat and it came with Hankook (Dynapro AT2). So this could be more to do with crappy tires than a poor alignment out of the factory (or maybe both)? Anyone else with tire wear issues -- are you running on Hankooks?

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have the Hankooks as well and after 24k miles they're looking pretty rough and also like there is an alignment issue. Ford has never mentioned anything during my annual~ish servicing (10k & 20k). I'll snag a photo tomorrow, but what do y'all consider a point to replace? I'm honestly waiting for the EV Toyos to finally get released.

B. Lane

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retire
I have the Hankooks as well and after 24k miles they're looking pretty rough and also like there is an alignment issue. Ford has never mentioned anything during my annual~ish servicing (10k & 20k). I'll snag a photo tomorrow, but what do y'all consider a point to replace? I'm honestly waiting for the EV Toyos to finally get released.
I have Hankook Dynapro too (20 inch, Lariat). Didn't notice uneven wear at 10,000 mile rotate and balance, but at the 20,000 point now and the outside of the front right tire is so bad I think I'll have to replace it. Took a look at the left rear, which was previously on the right front, and it is obvious I have an alignment issue from the facotry. Headed to the dealer this morning to see if I can get it properly aligned. Not happy.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Would it be unreasonable to request an alignment at purchase, just to know that it is within spec and that you won't be killing tires prematurely from day one?

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Replaced my Hankooks with Michelin Defenders. Dealer has recommended a rotation every 5k miles, and an alignment every 10k. Since all 4 wheels have independent suspension, rotating the tires to the back won't help "flatten out" any toe/alignment wear as it would on a fixed axel. That was news to me, I don't call reading that recommendation in the manual but it makes sense to do (especially since there isn't really any other maintenance needed on these trucks).

Not happy about the hefty bill after only 20k miles for new tires and an alignment. @Ford Motor Company, you need to make all consumers aware of this. A could of $150 alignments may have saved me $1000+ in tires...
Sponsored