Sponsored

Tesla is disrespecting Ford owners

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I can't stand Elmo. My druthers would be to not use his SuperChargers. But, when they are more convenient, or cheaper, I'm using them.

Price, as with all chargers, is very location-dependent. In some places they are much cheaper, some much higher, some the same. EA's price is vastly different in places, ranging from a low of 21 cents per minute to a high of 64 cents per kWh.
Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
I believe that they have to coordinate with Ford to enable access - and that coordination probably became a lot more difficult since the smartest man in the world fired most of his Supercharger team.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
The main reason Tesla opened up their charging network to other manufacturers is to gain access to federal funding (infrastructure bill). Once a deal was made with the White House to open the network Tesla could then receive federal grants. This enables Tesla to expand the supercharger network using federal funding, reducing risk to Tesla.
But they arenā€™t currently expanding using government funding.

https://driveelectric.gov/news/q2-2024-quarterly-nevi-update

ā€œNow, there are eight stations in six states with 33 public charging ports in operation supported by NEVI funding.ā€

8 stations is pathetic. None of those are Tesla because the min for NEVI is 4. That means 8 minimum NEVI sites. I think Tesla has a minimum of 12 ports per location, so itā€™s not possible.

Tesla is still opening SC sites with their own money. NEVI is a grant by a percentage of the cost of install (not by install itself). Tesla can do it for so much less than everyone else they may have decided the red tape is not worth the effort. If you look at the funding request Tesla is about 8 time less expensive per port.

Last edited:

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
I assume that all of you that are making excuses for Tesla have already received your Tesla NACS adapters. Spoiler alert; you are in a very small minority. Ask the majority of us that have their Tesla adapters postponed three or four times how they feel about Teslaā€™s games.
Buy the A2Z adapter. Itā€™s $200. I have both the Ford and A2Z. I have yet to use the Ford one and I have used the A2Z one 20+ times. It works. If you have a $60k+ truck you should not be upset about anything this much that can be fixed for $200. Youā€™ll want to have two anyway. What if you lose or break one on a trip? You canā€™t buy one at Walmart.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buy the A2Z adapter. Itā€™s $200. I have both the Ford and A2Z. I have yet to use the Ford one and I have used the A2Z one 20+ times. It works. If you have a $60k+ truck you should not be upset about anything this much that can be fixed for $200. Youā€™ll want to have two anyway. What if you lose or break one on a trip? You canā€™t buy one at Walmart.
This ^^^ "Honey, the adapter broke, so it will be 3 hours before Ford Roadside sends the wrong truck, another hour or two for the right one, to flatbed us to a charger"...

And, if you buy both, you get the destination adapter for only $67.50, which is a steal. https://a2zevshop.com/products/nacs-ccs1?ref=Typhoon&variant=43186507579592

Sponsored

Cray5

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning, Audi a8
But they arenā€™t currently expanding using government funding.

https://driveelectric.gov/news/q2-2024-quarterly-nevi-update

ā€œNow, there are eight stations in six states with 33 public charging ports in operation supported by NEVI funding.ā€

8 stations is pathetic. None of those are Tesla because the min for NEVI is 4. That means 8 minimum NEVI sites. I think Tesla has a minimum of 12 ports per location, so itā€™s not possible.

Tesla is still opening SC sites with their own money. NEVI is a grant by a percentage of the cost of install (not by install itself). Tesla can do it for so much less than everyone else they may have decided the red tape is not worth the effort. If you look at the funding request Tesla is about 8 time less expensive per port.
I agree that 8 stations is pathetic. I believe you read the article incorrectly however. The minimum chargers at a site is 4, but they can have more than 4 at a site. That means that Tesla can stick to a minimum of 12 chargers per site and still qualify if they desire to do. It also doesnā€™t mean that wasnā€™t the driver to open up the network. They won more bids than any vendor but may have realized along the way that the effort to work with the government was too great. Could also just be that there is a lag between winning bids, delivery and payment. I am very familiar with GOV contracting and it is a long and bureaucratic process but also extremely lucrative for the vendor if handled correctly.

If this was never their intent they would t have bid on the contracts to begin withā€¦.

Last edited:

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Why doesnā€™t anybody talk about how great(or bad) Fordā€™s DCFC chargers are??? Oh yeah, they donā€™t really have anyšŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£
Never really understood why they didnā€™t get into the game. They just relied on everyone else to provide that couldā€™ve been a game changer in my opinion plus more competition.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
I agree that 8 stations is pathetic. I believe you read the article incorrectly however. The minimum chargers at a site is 4, but they can have more than 4 at a site. That means that Tesla can stick to a minimum of 12 chargers per site and still qualify if they desire to do. It also doesnā€™t mean that wasnā€™t the driver to open up the network. They won more bids than any vendor but may have realized along the way that the effort to work with the government was too great. Could also just be that there is a lag between winning bids, delivery and payment. I am very familiar with GOV contracting and it is a long and bureaucratic process but also extremely lucrative for the vendor if handled correctly.

If this was never their intent they would t have bid on the contracts to begin withā€¦.
Iā€™m just saying that for the numbers presented for completed projects from NEVI itā€™s not possible for any to be Tesla currently (because Tesla does 12+ and with 8 locations it not possible for 1 to be 12 stall, the other 7 be 4 stall and have a total of 33). If you are charging at a Tesla SC, itā€™s currently not from NEVI.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
Why doesnā€™t anybody talk about how great(or bad) Fordā€™s DCFC chargers are??? Oh yeah, they donā€™t really have anyšŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£
Never really understood why they didnā€™t get into the game. They just relied on everyone else to provide that couldā€™ve been a game changer in my opinion plus more competition.
Iā€™ve been wanting to go to this dealer just to try out their DCFC. I donā€™t think itā€™s more than a few months old. If small town dealers added just 1-4 DCFC it would make a HUGE difference (but itā€™s a massive expense for them). There is a Chevy one on a rout I do occasionally use but they are charging $1.59/kwh.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla is disrespecting Ford owners IMG_5541

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Iā€™ve been wanting to go to this dealer just to try out their DCFC. I donā€™t think itā€™s more than a few months old. If small town dealers added just 1-4 DCFC it would make a HUGE difference (but itā€™s a massive expense for them). There is a Chevy one on a rout I do occasionally use but they are charging $1.59/kwh.
IMG_5541.png
$1.59 per kilowatt hour! Holy sh!t Batman!
I would be pissed paying $.59 a kilowatt hour.
I know there are some dealers that have them, but they are not ā€œFord Chargersā€œ there could be some somewhere. On my route home from purchasing my lightning, I drove from Maryland to Texas and Ford navigation routed me to at least one dealer(I think it was BMW) But it was not a BMW charger it was a third-party like EA. I guess that was kind of my point that Ford is relying completely on third-party for their charging network. At least, as far as I know.
I know I saw a picture maybe on this forum somewhere of a charger that had a Ford logo on the top, But I suspect it was a third-party that just included Fordā€™s logo maybe at a dealer???

Sponsored

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
$1.59 per kilowatt hour! Holy sh!t Batman!
I would be pissed paying $.59 a kilowatt hour.
I know there are some dealers that have them, but they are not ā€œFord Chargersā€œ there could be some somewhere. On my route home from purchasing my lightning, I drove from Maryland to Texas and Ford navigation routed me to at least one dealer(I think it was BMW) But it was not a BMW charger it was a third-party like EA. I guess that was kind of my point that Ford is relying completely on third-party for their charging network. At least, as far as I know.
I know I saw a picture maybe on this forum somewhere of a charger that had a Ford logo on the top, But I suspect it was a third-party that just included Fordā€™s logo maybe at a dealer???
Yep. Just to be clear. Itā€™s not the Ford one that is $1.59/kwh. Whatā€™s worse is that the Chevy one in Kingsville is deep in wind turbine territory. They probably have next to free electricity.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla is disrespecting Ford owners IMG_5542

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Yep. Just to be clear. Itā€™s not the Ford one that is $1.59/kwh. Whatā€™s worse is that the Chevy one in Kingsville is deep in wind turbine territory. They probably have next to free electricity.
IMG_5542.png
I just looked up the one you were talking about. I think It said it was $.35 a kilowatt hour. I will be down that way at the end of the month. I will go there to charge just because he seems like a good dealer and the website has a bunch info on EVā€˜s.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla is disrespecting Ford owners IMG_0962

Edit: it is $.35 a kilowatt hour!
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla is disrespecting Ford owners IMG_0963

Reactions: dww

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

People never seem to understand that location matters. Many Tesla locations are 8 stations. Lots are 12. Yes, most EA locations are 4.

Because it is a losing proposition without scale. And government funding, Tesla received billions over the years.
Sponsored