• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Tesla Adapter question

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
What am I missing. What did I do wrong?

I tried to charge at a Tesla location in Ellenton FL with my new Ford Adaptor this evening and it failed.

The location shows in the Tesla online site map as having ability to charge CCS with adapters.

In the Tesla APP when I go to "Charge your other EV" it doesn't show this location on the map.

The Lightning Ford Pass APP shows the 16 Tesla stations are capable with adaptor but it fails.

What am I missing?

BTW, The 4 EA chargers at this location had 2 of 4 broken. The other 2 were occupied.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Tesla Adapter question unnamed
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Tesla Adapter question unnamed (1)
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Site shows up on my Tesla app. Looks like you have 2 filters applied. Might check those.

Did it fail from Ford P&C?

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Tesla Adapter question 1719360037940-y

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Tesla Adapter question 20240625_235830000_iOS

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Site shows up on my Tesla app. Looks like you have 2 filters applied. Might check those.

Did it fail from Ford P&C?

1719360037940-yp.png

20240625_235830000_iOS.png
Thanks for the reply.

I just got of the phone with another member. I didn't have "YES" checked in the Vehicle Details for the Ford Lightning "Do You Have a NACS Adapter" checked in the Tesla APP.. Once I checked that the Ellenton site showed up on the Tesla APP. I have 2 Tesla's and never had an issue with the APP but didn't realize the other selection was required to charge non-Tesla's.

When I JUST plugged in it did fail P&C. I have used P&C at the EA chargers at this location using my free credits.

I don't know if I have the correct software update on the Lightning to P&C the Ford at a Tesla Charger.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
As a Tesla owner, don't you get member rates if you use the Tesla app?

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
Thanks for the reply.

I just got of the phone with another member. I didn't have "YES" checked in the Vehicle Details for the Ford Lightning "Do You Have a NACS Adapter" checked in the Tesla APP.. Once I checked that the Ellenton site showed up on the Tesla APP. I have 2 Tesla's and never had an issue with the APP but didn't realize the other selection was required to charge non-Tesla's.

When I JUST plugged in it did fail P&C. I have used P&C at the EA chargers at this location using my free credits.

I don't know if I have the correct software update on the Lightning to P&C the Ford at a Tesla Charger.
You should be able to charge now using the Tesla app. As for P&C, you need the Tesla OTA from Feb 29. The best way to know if you got it is to post your VIN on the VIN lookup thread and ask if your truck got OTA 24-PU0119-DC-CHG4.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Tesla Adapter question 1719371660054-ch

Last edited:

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
You should be able to charge now using the Tesla app. As for P&C, you need the Tesla OTA from Feb 29. The best way to know if you got it is to post your VIN on the VIN lookup thread and ask if your truck got OTA 24-PU0119-DC-CHG4.

1719371660054-ch.png
@bmwhitetx

Thanks again for the help. The Forum is a great resource.

I took your advice and posted my VIN on the other thread. You are correct, it was confirmed that I don't have OTA 24-PU0119-DC-CHG4 installed.

So I went back to the Tesla chargers tonight. I was able to charge with the Tesla APP with YES" box clicked for having the adapter, but as expected it failed trying to use Plug and Charge since i don't have the update.

I only stayed 6 minutes on the Tesla charger for 9 kw of juice just to verify it worked. The charge rate at 75% battery was 125 kW. The Cost was $4.50 for 9 kws at 50 cents/kw. The EA chargers at this location is 56 cents/kwh vs 50 cents on the Tesla chargers. Only 2 of the 4 EA charges were operational which is typical..

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
I took your advice and posted my VIN on the other thread. You are correct, it was confirmed that I don't have OTA 24-PU0119-DC-CHG4 installed.
The 23's sure have had issues getting updates but hopefully there are signs that they are starting up again. You can check out the whole thread on 24-PU0119-DC-CHG4 for clues perhaps on what 23's got the update.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
@bmwhitetx

Thanks again for the help. The Forum is a great resource.

So I went back to the Tesla chargers tonight. I was able to charge with the Tesla APP with YES" box clicked for having the adapter, but as expected it failed trying to use Plug and Charge since i don't have the update.

I only stayed 6 minutes on the Tesla charger for 9 kw of juice just to verify it worked. The charge rate at 75% battery was 125 kW. The Cost was $4.50 for 9 kws at 50 cents/kw. The EA chargers at this location is 56 cents/kwh vs 50 cents on the Tesla chargers. Only 2 of the 4 EA charges were operational which is typical..
miraculously Ford uploaded the plug-in charge update this afternoon to my truck. Hopefully P&C will work now.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Tesla Adapter question IMG_1461

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Had this Tesla Plug & Charge update waiting for install today. Said it would install at 1am tomorrow or I could do it now but truck would be unable to de driven for about 10 minutes.. Opted to do it now.

Update installed just fine.

This is my 3rd update in past 7 days. Yippee. .... Let's keep rolling !!!

OP
OP

s3mamill

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
I'm here in the outer banks right now and drove from central VA. I charged at the tesla superchargers in Williamsburg and topped off at the charger in Chesapeake before crossing into NC. I'm on the north end of the outer banks so trying to avoid heading south to the supercharger in Nags head and just hit Chesapeake again on the way out. No issues charging at either spot. Did some beach driving too!

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Tesla Adapter question IMG_0177

Sponsored

derm

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 Sport 4x4; Ordered F-150 Lighting Larit
coming from NOVA. your last fast charger is the back side of Greenbrier Mall. (Greenbrier Pkwy and I64). There is a set of fast chargers at Wawa in Edinburgh off the Chesapeake Expwy but you would need a Tesla fast charger alternative. If you are going tothe north end, there are 4 level 2 Tesla chargers at Bluepoint Resturant in DuckNc, but you will need the Tesla to J1772. I'm local in Chesapeake and have a place in Duck.

OP
OP

s3mamill

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
coming from NOVA. your last fast charger is the back side of Greenbrier Mall. (Greenbrier Pkwy and I64). There is a set of fast chargers at Wawa in Edinburgh off the Chesapeake Expwy but you would need a Tesla fast charger alternative. If you are going tothe north end, there are 4 level 2 Tesla chargers at Bluepoint Resturant in DuckNc, but you will need the Tesla to J1772. I'm local in Chesapeake and have a place in Duck.
This is good info. I'll get an Tesla to J1772 adapter next time I go. I was right by that restaurant and could have charged there. I ended up just trickle charging on the wall outlet at the rental and never really got below 70%, but also didn't do much driving other than to Corolla.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I'll add this, too, as far as 'FAILING' is a concern when using your adapter at a Supercharger with 'CCS' or 'Other EV' capabilities: Tesla units DO sometimes fail to activate, even if all the other unit work successfully, like I found out the other night. Trying another unit worked.

So, to also clear up the easy CONFUSION on the Tesla Supercharger MAP 'filters'...

A) 'Open to NACs' locations is referring ONLY currently to FORD and RIVIAN vehicles, with an adapter of their own... one here is located in DOTHAN AL.
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Tesla Adapter question Screenshot 2024-07-08 10.17.09 AM

B) 'Open to OTHER EVs' Capable locations, and only a relatively FEW in the U.S. so far, is referring ONLY to 'Magic Dock' locations where ANY CCS EV can plug in and charge, with the Tesla app to active the unit, and with the MAGIC DOCK built-in adapter that is part of the station's cable end. The owner does NOT need their own adapter. My wife's KIA EV9 can use one of these.
You'll see that with this filter, on it's own, does NOT show the DOTHAN AL location, as it is NOT capable for 'other EVs'... at least yet.
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Tesla Adapter question Screenshot 2024-07-08 10.17.49 AM

how you choose your FILTERS within the Tesla app is paramount, as it allows multiple filter location types at the same time... it's better to use each on it's own. If you are a FORD or RIVIAN, choose both will render all the same info, as we CAN use both, but 'other EVs', like my wife's KIA, would only be able to filter for the 'Other EVs' choice. At least until Tesla opens up to KIA.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Just to be clear, that's the Tesla website. In the app, you put in your vehicle and indicate you have an adapter, and it only shows compatible locations.
Sponsored