• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla stops reservations for cheapest Cyberturd

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
You're talking interface, I'm talking technology. Whether the interface is "good" or "bad" is an opinion. The Tesla technology is light years better. We can argue if the interface is better or not. The Ford interface is fine. The technology behind it is light years better on Tesla and the CT specifically. Just look at how often the two are updated and how well those updates go. I would argue that the CT technology is factually better. The interface? Meh...that's debatable. I prefer Tesla's, but I'm an admitted geek, so take it as you will. :) I prefer buttons for the climate control though. I don't have that on my Lariat either. I also prefer stalks for shifting and turn signals. But again, that's all interface, not technology.

Interior? Again opinion. I like the simple interior, but I'm not sure the quality is there on Tesla. I think the Ford interior is better built. Feels nicer, less cheap. Part of why I think the CT needs a couple revisions. It appears slapped together - inside and outside. Rushed.
Ok what “Tech”?
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Tesla website touts that CT can detect the perfect sized Turd to drop in the punch bowl...without a single splash
lol.....

The CT has its quality, I own a Model 3 and to be honest I don't see much of a difference in the "Tech". Where I see the difference is in App Use, and entertainment options.

OP
OP

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Ok what “Tech”?
The security feature of the guillotine frunk cover….. the massive windshield wiper that breaks and needed the 48v system….the great Tonneau cover that blocks your rear view and breaks….then you have to rely on the size inadequate digital mirror 🤫

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat ER. Less Tech than CT 😘
Occupation
Database developer
Ok what “Tech”?
Air Suspension, 48 volt architecture, 4 wheel steering. The underlying software (not the interface, but all the other code,) the bus, etc. For example, Tesla has a publicly available API. That means I (as a programmer) can access the car and its features. Control it. An example: I work from home and have occasional meetings, so "charge" and "warmup" schedules are useless to me. I connected my Tesla to my calendar. If I created a calendar entry with "CY 80" or "CY 95" in the notes of that calendar entry, my Tesla would automatically start charging to 80% or 95% and warmup (or cool down) however far in advance required such that it would be ready when I needed to leave. There are other examples, that's one.

That's not even a dream for Ford yet. There is no publicly available API and the one Ford uses to connect via the app isn't very good based on how long it takes to do anything with the app. Tesla responded nearly instantly.

The tech of the CT is clearly and demonstrably superior.

Sponsored

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database developer
Keep in mind publicly available APIs can be problematic too. Only takes that one pimply basement dweller to hack in and do bad things….
Of course. BUT, how long has it been out there? Ever heard of anyone doing anything nefarious with it? I'd rather have it than not.

By the way, you could use the same argument to say you should never drive. You might crash and die. Sometimes the risk of the thing you want is worth that risk. And of course everyone weighs that risk differently.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Air Suspension, 48 volt architecture, 4 wheel steering. The underlying software (not the interface, but all the other code,) the bus, etc. For example, Tesla has a publicly available API. That means I (as a programmer) can access the car and its features. Control it. An example: I work from home and have occasional meetings, so "charge" and "warmup" schedules are useless to me. I connected my Tesla to my calendar. If I created a calendar entry with "CY 80" or "CY 95" in the notes of that calendar entry, my Tesla would automatically start charging to 80% or 95% and warmup (or cool down) however far in advance required such that it would be ready when I needed to leave. There are other examples, that's one.

That's not even a dream for Ford yet. There is no publicly available API and the one Ford uses to connect via the app isn't very good based on how long it takes to do anything with the app. Tesla responded nearly instantly.

The tech of the CT is clearly and demonstrably superior.
Air suspension has been on Fords before, nothing new. They don't use it for a reason.

4 wheel steering, again, this is old tech.

You cant access Ford and its features?

48 volt, software ....yeah....

Again, the CT is the latest and greatest in the EV Truck world but I just don't see how it's "Miles" away from the Lightning. That just me though. It's grown on me, but I would still prefer a modern traditional truck from Tesla.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Of course. BUT, how long has it been out there? Ever heard of anyone doing anything nefarious with it? I'd rather have it than not.

By the way, you could use the same argument to say you should never drive. You might crash and die. Sometimes the risk of the thing you want is worth that risk. And of course everyone weighs that risk differently.
Agreed. Tesla has hackers try to hack their cars for money so they can fix vulnerabilities.

OP
OP

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
You might crash and die.
Yes, that is why we learn defensive driving. So you learn to counter other people’s stupidity.

You can’t “learn” to drive in a way to be doing 80 on the freeway and have some kid engage the lockers or something else that cripples the car.

Apples and bananas…..

Sponsored

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database developer
Yes, that is why we learn defensive driving. So you learn to counter other people’s stupidity.

You can’t “learn” to drive in a way to be doing 80 on the freeway and have some kid engage the lockers or something else that cripples the car.

Apples and bananas…..
If only it were that simple. You can be the best defensive driver in the world, some things are out of your control. Mechanical failure, for one. It's all about risk/reward. Because something bad *might* happen doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Just because someone *might* hack your car doesn't mean you shouldn't have an API. It's the same thing. But I'll say no more on the matter. You're splitting hairs. The tech is better. Whether you want it or not is up to you.

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database developer
Air suspension has been on Fords before, nothing new. They don't use it for a reason.

4 wheel steering, again, this is old tech.

You cant access Ford and its features?

48 volt, software ....yeah....

Again, the CT is the latest and greatest in the EV Truck world but I just don't see how it's "Miles" away from the Lightning. That just me though. It's grown on me, but I would still prefer a modern traditional truck from Tesla.
Sure 4 wheel steering and air suspension have been around forever. That doesn't change the fact that the CT has them and the F150 doesn't. I especially wish it had air suspension. 4 wheel steering should be nice (this thing turns like a boat,) but not necessary. Still...tech win for CT.

I can access the features that Ford gives me via the app. There is no publicly available API where I can do what I want with it.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Sure 4 wheel steering and air suspension have been around forever. That doesn't change the fact that the CT has them and the F150 doesn't. I especially wish it had air suspension. 4 wheel steering should be nice (this thing turns like a boat,) but not necessary. Still...tech win for CT.

I can access the features that Ford gives me via the app. There is no publicly available API where I can do what I want with it.
Yes the skidpad numbers says the CT also turns "Like a boat"

Ive taken the lightning down the "twisties" and Im not sure where this "turns like a boat" comes from, maybe less maneuverable in tight spaces?

The Cyberbeast's skidpad figure—0.75 g—is decidedly more trucklike than its straight-line performance and not surprising given the weight and all-terrain rubber. - Car and Driver

Maximum cornering certainly isn't the Lightning's forte, but it put up a decent 0.77 g on the skidpad, which is in the ballpark with other full-size trucks. - Car and Driver

Granted this could be due to tires. I also wish it had air suspension just for the looks, but again, not a game changer to switch over.

ZheWiz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database developer
Yes the skidpad numbers says the CT also turns "Like a boat"

Ive taken the lightning down the "twisties" and Im not sure where this "turns like a boat" comes from, maybe less maneuverable in tight spaces?

The Cyberbeast's skidpad figure—0.75 g—is decidedly more trucklike than its straight-line performance and not surprising given the weight and all-terrain rubber. - Car and Driver

Maximum cornering certainly isn't the Lightning's forte, but it put up a decent 0.77 g on the skidpad, which is in the ballpark with other full-size trucks. - Car and Driver

Granted this could be due to tires. I also wish it had air suspension just for the looks, but again, not a game changer to switch over.
4 wheel steering is more about turning radius than skidpad numbers. Skidpad is suspension, tires, center of gravity, etc. Lots of things go into that, but 4 wheel steering has little, if anything, to do with it. I'm talking about turning radius when I say it turns like a boat, not agility. I can't speak to the agility of either the CT or the Lightning since I haven't pushed either. I can tell the F150 is crap compared to the Model Y. Shocker! LOL!

I want air suspension for ground clearance w/o giving up efficiency...best of both worlds. But, like you said, not a game changer. I have enough ground clearance for most of the of roading I do, which is just for hunting, not for crazy stuff. Air suspension does bring with it less reliability...lots more to go wrong. Really not sure I trust Tesla's air suspension, but they have been doing it for a while on both the S and X. CT is a much different beast though. People aren't putting a ton of bricks in the back of the S or X.

OP
OP

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
The tech is better.
Here let me fix your statement for you. “In my opinion the tech is better.” That is a more correct factual statement.

The rest is subjective and yet to be seen on how helpful it will be.

Such as the 48v might be nice, but since I am rocking a 400v DC battery I already have “more power” and only need the 12v to start the computer and fire up the inverter to the voltage conversion needed.

Even on the API front, Ford has APIs, they are just not choosing to give us access. So technically the tech is there but not the access. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored