Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning SR XLT
Occupation
Engineer
LOL, no.

Batteries get warm from charging and discharging, the BMS takes care of all the work, drive mode is irrelevant.

You should only see elevated temps if you're towing uphill in the heat.
You are incorrect.

My battery will sit a little warm, right of center on the gauge, in Normal Mode.

When I switch to Sport Mode it will start cooling the battery more aggressively, and always brings the temperature gauge back to center (likely wastes some energy).

You donā€™t need much imagination to envision Ford having Sport Mode pre-cool the system to prepare for heavy use.

Donā€™t comment if you donā€™t know what youā€™re talking about.

Also, it is very common to see the temperature gauge right of center (hot) if you live somewhere with 100Ā° summers. The BMS does not always try to cool the battery back to center on the gauge (Iā€™m sure itā€™s still within safe operating temperature).
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
My battery will sit a little warm, right of center on the gauge, in Normal Mode.
Interesting, I haven't seen mine that high, even when it's near 100f outside.

Do you have the max tow package?

cowboys1870

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning SR XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting, I haven't seen mine that high, even when it's near 100f outside.

Do you have the max tow package?
I do not. ā€˜22 SR XLT, no options.

95Ā°+ sunny work blacktop lot for 8hr and mine will be right of center every time.

The gauge will stay put on my ~30min commute in normal mode, but if I switch to sport it will cool down to center within 5-10min.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
The gauge will stay put on my ~30min commute in normal mode, but if I switch to sport it will cool down to center within 5-10min.
A significant observation. Do you think your driving behavior is nearly the same, only the mode is changed?

cowboys1870

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning SR XLT
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

jamelski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lariat
I have a 24 lariat in Sacramento and when itā€™s 100 plus my battery temp is right in middle even when I floor it from stop light to stop light. Itā€™s funny that my heavy truck is just as fast as my wify 21 Mach e GTPE

Regardless the battery normal temp tange is low middle and right. So why do you care if itā€™s a little to right ? šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Last edited:

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Same a @BSull. I believe the cabin AC pulled double duty tho. Did a test on my last trip. Diverting cooling to the floor will bring the battery temp back to normal range. I was able to duplicate the results several times.
I live in Peoria AZ too. Are you saying that diverting the AC to the floor will cool the batteries? I'll have to try that because my battery temps have been high all summer.

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
I live in Peoria AZ too. Are you saying that diverting the AC to the floor will cool the batteries? I'll have to try that because my battery temps have been high all summer.
Itā€™s a guess. With the max tow package, thereā€™s a second cooling system for the pack. That said, I recall reading somewhere in the manual that you may feel cool air at
Your feet when the truck is working to cool the pack. It has appeared to work for me šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø.
See ya @ Lake Plesant sometimešŸ¤™šŸ¼

Sponsored

msadan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
600 mile round trip yesterday in my ā€˜23 SR Pro was the first time in 16k miles / 19 months that Iā€™ve seen the battery temp gauge budge from dead center. Ambient temp was around 100 degrees and I was DC fast charging at a Tesla Supercharger. Temp went back to the center after driving for a while. Supercharging was slow at two different Superchargers, starting out around 150 kW but dropping to about half that fairly quickly, both times starting at a fairly low SOC. I had somewhat better results at the same two Superchargers on the return trip, when it was a bit cooler, so Iā€™m assuming that earlier either the Supercharger or the truck reduced the charge rate due to the heat. My previous Supercharging experiences were similar to other DCFCs, speed-wise.
Earlier this summer on a desert road trip in my Tesla Model 3 the heat (115+) didnā€™t seem to affect the charging speed at all, which was surprising. I did notice that the cabin A/C was having a hard time keeping up while the car was charging. Iā€™m assuming most of its cooling power was focused on keeping the battery cool.

Ford F-150 Lightning Battery Temp... with pictures! IMG_6621

OP
OP

ChrisInVegas

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have noticed that when we take our Model Y to superchargers here in Vegas, that when the cable/handle is hot when I plug in the charge is going to be slower. The charger near where we live is a popular one, so it sees lots of traffic. My guess is the heat is partially due to the ambient temp, but also partly due to the previous car getting the handle warm.

Supercharger speeds on the Lightning roadtrips through the Mojave have always been good speed.

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
600 mile round trip yesterday in my ā€˜23 SR Pro was the first time in 16k miles / 19 months that Iā€™ve seen the battery temp gauge budge from dead center. Ambient temp was around 100 degrees and I was DC fast charging at a Tesla Supercharger. Temp went back to the center after driving for a while. Supercharging was slow at two different Superchargers, starting out around 150 kW but dropping to about half that fairly quickly, both times starting at a fairly low SOC. I had somewhat better results at the same two Superchargers on the return trip, when it was a bit cooler, so Iā€™m assuming that earlier either the Supercharger or the truck reduced the charge rate due to the heat. My previous Supercharging experiences were similar to other DCFCs, speed-wise.
Earlier this summer on a desert road trip in my Tesla Model 3 the heat (115+) didnā€™t seem to affect the charging speed at all, which was surprising. I did notice that the cabin A/C was having a hard time keeping up while the car was charging. Iā€™m assuming most of its cooling power was focused on keeping the battery cool.

IMG_6621.jpeg
Just a comment, the Lightning does not charge faster when you arrive at a low state of charge like a Tesla does. Youā€™ll generally see your best charging performance if you arrive above 15%. On road trips I target 20% for each stop and generally charge to 79% each stop and I arrive on the high side of my plan. Letting it drop low in the pack just seems to get me a lower average charge rate.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
I have noticed that when we take our Model Y to superchargers here in Vegas, that when the cable/handle is hot when I plug in the charge is going to be slower. The charger near where we live is a popular one, so it sees lots of traffic. My guess is the heat is partially due to the ambient temp, but also partly due to the previous car getting the handle warm.

Supercharger speeds on the Lightning roadtrips through the Mojave have always been good speed.
You can do the wet towel trick to speed up charging.

I have a small battery powered clip on fan, that would probably do the trick too
Sponsored