• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Potential Ford Lightning Buyer. Would love to hear your advice.

Laxputs

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shopping
I'd love to know what you wish you knew before buying your Lightning. I'm considering a Pro or XLT. My lifestyle well fits well the standard range battery, the temps here mild year-round, I don't tow my boat more than a few blocks. What upgrades do you recommend? Anything I should consider? Much appreciated.
Sponsored

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
From your brief description, you are gonna love the lightning. It tows better than my Diesel (not nearly as far) but if you’re towing locally it’s game changing. No mods are really needed with the exception of personal touches 🤌🏻.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I love my Pro and wouldn't do anything differently. Everything I want and nothing I don't. I have the tow tech package for extra cooling and sprayed bed. The scale was deleted for me. That is something I wouldn't mind having. It is a fast, quiet and comfortable truck.

Go for it. You will love it.

OP
OP

Laxputs

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shopping
I appreciate the replies. Yeah, I'll get the sprayed bed, good call. Any other add-ons or useful after-market mods?

Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
I personal think a drop-in poly liner is better for most loads, but there are strong opinions both ways between spray-in and drop in.

The most popular add-on for trucks is some kind of bed cover. Tri-fold, roll up, or sliding depending on your preference. I have and like the BAK Revolver. My impression is that the sliding ones like the Retrax take up a bit of bed space and eventually give problems. You can buy Ford-branded versions, or aftermarket and save a few bucks.

You will want a level 2 charger wired in your garage. The Emporia 48 amp has been perfect for me.

Last edited:

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Pro + Max Tow + Tow tech + Tailgate step is what I have. It was a common package on a lot of the Pros for the dealer mannequins.

Love the Pro. Love the rubber floor (no carpet to get dirty) and the plastic seats are fine. Don't miss power seats. Actually prefer the smaller screen with more manual controls for radio and heat.

Didn't really think I would use the tailgate step, and would not have configured it if I was building my own build, but turns out I actually do use it.

Only time I wish I had the larger ER battery is when towing longer distances, but the $20k price difference at the time between the Pro-SR and an XLT-ER is money I am now happy to spend on other things at the cost of an extra stop or two on the rare road trips.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Laxputs

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shopping
All great suggestions. Anyone get the hard-folding tonneau?

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I'd love to know what you wish you knew before buying your Lightning. I'm considering a Pro or XLT. My lifestyle well fits well the standard range battery, the temps here mild year-round, I don't tow my boat more than a few blocks. What upgrades do you recommend? Anything I should consider? Much appreciated.
There are a few other threads on here from people Asking the same question, you may want to search for. I see you are in Canada. I have the Lariat so I can only speak to that trim level. I love having the extended range, even though I don’t make long trips very often but it is nice when you do need it. The max tow package is what gives you the extra cooling not the tow technology package! I Love most all the technology that my truck has ie. heated and ventilated front seats as well as heated rear seats, heated steering wheel-granted, I am in Texas, so the heated stuff gets much less use than the cooling stuff -probably opposite for you. from what I gather, it is probably 50-50 on the larger screen as far as what people like.-personally, I like it!
Good luck
This is a great forum as most all the people are very helpful with everything!

N87

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 FL
Occupation
Engineer
Educate yourself on what the real life range for SR and ER is and how much it depends on outside temperature. Also, towing limitations. It's not what Ford tells you. That said, none that may matter to you or the way you intend to use the truck.
Just be aware. I personally really like my XLT ER and it's a perfect vehicle for me. Good luck with whatever you decide.