• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cybertruck vs Lightning

Jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
I have both and absolutely love them both. I was a day 1 Cybertruck reservation holder. I've had the Lightning Lariat ER for about 4 months and the Cybertruck about 3 and 1/2 months,
I got tired of waiting so long for the Cybertruck, I found an incredible deal on a new Lightning for $26,500 off MSRP so I bought it
A week or so later I got the notice from Tesla that my Cybertruck was about ready. I'm a Tesla lover and have had them for over 10yrs.
I really wanted the Cybertruck so I got my friend to go in halves with me on the Cybertruck.

They're both amazing trucks, the Tesla's steer by wire and rear wheel steering can't be beat, especially when backing the boat back into the garage on a curved driveway.
But the Lightning's massive frunk, bigger cabin, opening panoramic sunroof with electric cover make it better.

I was gong to sell the Lightning when my 2nd Cybertruck reservation comes up for a non-Foundation Series, but I love them both and the Cybertruck partnership is going fantastic so I'll keep them both for a while.

Both trucks have about 5k miles on them and can't wait to put more miles on them.

I've taken both on 1,000 trips and they both are great (I have the A2Z adapter) so charging the Ford at certain Superchargers hasn't been an issue.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I have both and absolutely love them both. I was a day 1 Cybertruck reservation holder. I've had the Lightning Lariat ER for about 4 months and the Cybertruck about 3 and 1/2 months,
I got tired of waiting so long for the Cybertruck, I found an incredible deal on a new Lightning for $26,500 off MSRP so I bought it
A week or so later I got the notice from Tesla that my Cybertruck was about ready. I'm a Tesla lover and have had them for over 10yrs.
I really wanted the Cybertruck so I got my friend to go in halves with me on the Cybertruck.

They're both amazing trucks, the Tesla's steer by wire and rear wheel steering can't be beat, especially when backing the boat back into the garage on a curved driveway.
But the Lightning's massive frunk, bigger cabin, opening panoramic sunroof with electric cover make it better.

I was gong to sell the Lightning when my 2nd Cybertruck reservation comes up for a non-Foundation Series, but I love them both and the Cybertruck partnership is going fantastic so I'll keep them both for a while.

Both trucks have about 5k miles on them and can't wait to put more miles on them.

I've taken both on 1,000 trips and they both are great (I have the A2Z adapter) so charging the Ford at certain Superchargers hasn't been an issue.
Congrats on having both! I keep going back and forth on whether I should reserve a CT or not. I can't get over the lack of interior or the same interior as my Model 3. I find the Lightning to have a better interior configuration but I can't deny the uniqueness of the CT.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
With the test mules out supposedly eyeing the Silverado for an electric HD truck, I wonder if T3 goes R1T size. Clearly the maverick is a good size for a lot of folks.

Last edited:

Jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Congrats on having both! I keep going back and forth on whether I should reserve a CT or not. I can't get over the lack of interior or the same interior as my Model 3. I find the Lightning to have a better interior configuration but I can't deny the uniqueness of the CT.
They're both super comfortable on trips, but the Lightning is a little more comfortable. But parking or backing up the Cybertruck with the steering cannot be beat. Plus the polarizing looks, I like it.

Towing or not towing, they both have about the same efficiency, so with the larger battery in the Lightning, I use that to tow the boat to the lake.

I honestly do a crazy thing. The Cybertruck won't make it to the lake and back (225 miles) without charging. But the Lightning will if I drive 55 one way and 50 home. But to make it there and back faster (65 both ways), I take a generator/fan in the bed and run it in the trailer parking lot for 4-5hrs while on the lake. That way I don't have to charge, since there's no chargers along the way.
It's pretty quiet and the only time people are there is when picking up or dropping off their truck/trailer, so it's not bothering anyone.

Sponsored

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
They're both super comfortable on trips, but the Lightning is a little more comfortable. But parking or backing up the Cybertruck with the steering cannot be beat. Plus the polarizing looks, I like it.

Towing or not towing, they both have about the same efficiency, so with the larger battery in the Lightning, I use that to tow the boat to the lake.

I honestly do a crazy thing. The Cybertruck won't make it to the lake and back (225 miles) without charging. But the Lightning will if I drive 55 one way and 50 home. But to make it there and back faster (65 both ways), I take a generator/fan in the bed and run it in the trailer parking lot for 4-5hrs while on the lake. That way I don't have to charge, since there's no chargers along the way.
It's pretty quiet and the only time people are there is when picking up or dropping off their truck/trailer, so it's not bothering anyone.
better delete this post before the iceholes have it on the front page of the Post :D

Jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
better delete this post before the iceholes have it on the front page of the Post :D
HA HA, it's funny, a few weekends ago I walked to the truck to check if everything was going good and there were two people taking pictures of my setup. So I'm sure those are posted on some forum 🤣
I asked if I was doing anything wrong and they said it just looked funny. I told them it saves me close to two hours doing it so I do it.

Ford F-150 Lightning Cybertruck vs Lightning IMG_3883

Jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Do you mind giving some specifics? How big a genset, and how much kWh do you gain in 4-5 hours?
It’s 7,500 watt and in the charger app I have it set to 22 amps and the generator shows 23 amps. That’s with the fan and inefficiency.
I’m charging just about 5kw an hour. With the boat I’m at 1.7kwh at 65mph.
So I get about 8.5 miles per hour. It runs for about 4-5hrs with me filling the tank back up with 2.5 gallons.
so that’s plenty to get home on.

Mcyclonegt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning xlt
Occupation
Fire
It’s amazing how something can be so cool yet so stupid at the same time.

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
There was an accelerator pedal defect/recall...not sure if that is related to this crash though...

"...Almost 4,000 Cybertrucks were recalled last month over an accelerator design defect that could cause the pedal to get stuck..."

https://gizmodo.com/tesla-recalls-all-cybertrucks-over-accelerator-pedal-de-1851421654

----
The National Transportation Safety Bureau has investigated Tesla crashes in the past but said it has not yet been called in to look into this wreck.

Meanwhile, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it's aware of the crash and fire and is getting additional information from Tesla.

We've reached out to Tesla for comment, but haven't heard back.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/l...exas/285-1b631e4f-7b1b-4645-9050-0cb839aa104a

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
$42,500 sounds like wholesale pricing. I'm not familiar with how Tesla operates on the backend but I'd guess they don't want to deal with selling non-Teslas and they simply send them to auction.

When did you put in your reservation for the CT? I've seen online people who reserved at the beginning of 2024 are starting to get their invites. Seems that the foundation series are about to end and many CT owners are about to see the value of their truck drop by $20K overnight.
Tesla is notorious for low trade in offers. When I bought my '21 MYP they offered $4k for my '15 Nissan Leaf. I went to KBB.com and got an instant offer for $6800, drove it to the Dodge dealership, and walked out with a check in 90 minutes.

Madtroniks

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Bang for the buck. Lightning all the way.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
I got to touch one today. I was polite. The owner is a friend of my neighbor and was very kind to walk around it with me and let me poke and prod. I came away pretty underwhelmed for the price. $50k vehicle I’d be a lot more accepting of the shortcomings. He thought his was a reject due to cyberbeast availability and his order to pickup being so short. There were certainly some panel misalignments that he pointed out and assumed those were probably the reason for it being a reject. The frunk was quite small. I’m not a fan of frameless windows either, but that’s a personal preference. It just didn’t seem like it could do anything my old ranger couldn’t do except for the payload and being electric. I couldn’t believe how small the rear windows actually were. I don’t want an air suspension but it does go up quite a bit. There were a lot of scratches in the steel which I found odd but certainly wasn’t going to point out. But the kicker for me was when I went to check the suspension components in the front, I noticed some sort of crack in the front casting. I confirmed it was real with my finger and I politely pointed it out and he took an image to show to the service center. I came away thankful I got a chance to poke around at one without having to buy it. I’m even more convinced it would have been the wrong choice for me. Still love the truck, though!
Sponsored