• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Warranty repair: Moonroof gasket decay

CD4TNF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
This is why I didn’t want the sunroof, but I had no choice to get it.

Rocket808

First Name
Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Dude - I’m stoked for you

I had @Ford helping but they didn’t have the authority to allow it.

it looks as if mine was denied. I am interested to know if they wrote yours up as defective material (which I think it is). They indicated for me that “something was picking at it”. I have pictures all around where I can see the early stages of the material disbonding.

in the meantime, using painters tape and some appropriate window sealing black gasket material, I rebuilt it. I’d rather have it closed than complaining and get a leak.

I was disappointed in my dealerships lack of communication. I was happy with Ford’s attempt (through this site) but they couldn’t drive the dealership warranty repair to do, from my humble opinion of a $90k truck, the right thing

OP
OP

CD4TNF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER
Dude - I’m stoked for you

I had @Ford helping but they didn’t have the authority to allow it.

it looks as if mine was denied. I am interested to know if they wrote yours up as defective material (which I think it is). They indicated for me that “something was picking at it”. I have pictures all around where I can see the early stages of the material disbonding.

in the meantime, using painters tape and some appropriate window sealing black gasket material, I rebuilt it. I’d rather have it closed than complaining and get a leak.

I was disappointed in my dealerships lack of communication. I was happy with Ford’s attempt (through this site) but they couldn’t drive the dealership warranty repair to do, from my humble opinion of a $90k truck, the right thing
Thanks! I shows them the picture. It was a no questions asked "we'll order it and take care of it" warranty repair. The attitude felt like a concerned "the gasket shouldn't be doing that". I'm satisfied with the customer service at my service center.

When I get the receipt I'll let you know the language they used on the order. Sorry you went thru a denial and now need to gerry rig something.

Rocket808

First Name
Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
thanks, much appreciated!

Thanks! I shows them the picture. It was a no questions asked "we'll order it and take care of it" warranty repair. The attitude felt like a concerned "the gasket shouldn't be doing that". I'm satisfied with the customer service at my service center.

When I get the receipt I'll let you know the language they used on the order. Sorry you went thru a denial and now need to gerry rig something.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'll have to bust out the ladder and inspect mine. The AZ sun is not friendly to rubber and I'm just a couple months from my 36k mile mark. Is there a recommended way to help maintain these seals?

OP
OP

CD4TNF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER
Here's the report back.

The rear moonroof seal replacement is a huge job. I was told an 8 hr job. The notes say it involved removing the curtain airbags and side airbags among other things. I can see the driver handle was dug into with a screwdriver to open up the panel.

The technician determined the front was degraded and replaced the front as well. That was a 4ish hour job.

I'm not entirely happy with the results. The front no longer seats well. I'm definitely going to talk with the service guy to see how this can seat better. I don't trust this will keep the water out. The passenger corner and driver side leaks water upon testing. The moon roof has trouble closing because the pressure sensors think something is in the way. The seal just doesn't fit well.

The fortunate thing is the way the F150 is made, the water leaks into the plastic area in the roof with a drain hole. Water dips out by the wheel wells.

There are some battle scars from the work. Steering wheel got scuffed. That's more bothersome than the screwdriver mark in the driver grab bar. One of the accordion covers is missing.

Attached is the latest work notes.

Any advice?

Ford F-150 Lightning Warranty repair: Moonroof gasket decay 1000030274
Ford F-150 Lightning Warranty repair: Moonroof gasket decay 1000030271
Ford F-150 Lightning Warranty repair: Moonroof gasket decay 1000030281

Ford F-150 Lightning Warranty repair: Moonroof gasket decay 1000030357

Ford F-150 Lightning Warranty repair: Moonroof gasket decay 1000030381
Ford F-150 Lightning Warranty repair: Moonroof gasket decay 1000030344
Ford F-150 Lightning Warranty repair: Moonroof gasket decay 1000030345

Ford F-150 Lightning Warranty repair: Moonroof gasket decay 1000030357

Ford F-150 Lightning Warranty repair: Moonroof gasket decay 1000030381

Ford F-150 Lightning Warranty repair: Moonroof gasket decay 1000030279