• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
“UL Certified” is meaningless. It must be listed to a standard and be given a listing number.
I could be wrong, and it’s been a while since I’ve dealt with UL, but I thought receiving UL certification required a listing number be given with the certificate?

At any rate, I see the extension plug being exponentially more dangerous than the plug alone. (Not saying I’m against them, a .0000001 fail rate might increase to a whopping .000001, an increase of 10x yet still insignificant).

That’s a metric crapload of current being delivered, and under optimal conditions no one would be using any plug-in connectors of any kind. But as the plugs are a necessity, the temps are monitored with the cable and harness system in place. With the extension cable, you not only lose temp monitoring, you’re also adding (2) more weak point of contacts.
The fail rate will still be infinitesimally small, but the failures that manifest could be catastrophic. How many are “acceptable” for the sake of convenience? Beats me, I’ll leave that for the actuaries. I suspect time will tell.
Sponsored

Ramik

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Internet Service Provider
If A2Z sells it, I’ll buy it. My experience with their products is 10000% and their support is so good.

I trust they are taking safety seriously. Their interviews with @tommolog, their CEO and their contract engineer about the NACs to CCS adapter were impressive. Fanboy? Yeah maybe, but I think whatever they sell will be safe. 🤷🏻‍♂️

hajalie24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
Hopefully all the negativity results in the price lowering for this.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Even if I thought it was safe (I don’t) I wouldn’t spend any money on it. I haven’t had any problem charging at Superchargers with the short cables. If Tesla doesn’t want me to take up two spaces they can add longer cables.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
My concern over access isn’t what TESLA thinks, it’s what that TESLA driver with an attitude thinks. We’ve seen several comments about individuals making noise over this issue even when there are other chargers available.

In the current times we are living in, it seems it’s becoming more common to shoot first and ask questions later. 🙁

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I could be wrong, and it’s been a while since I’ve dealt with UL, but I thought receiving UL certification required a listing number be given with the certificate?
UL does not use the term “certified”. An item can either be “listed” to a standard, or “recognized”.

”Recognized” only means that it is a component than can be used in a listed assembly. If you buy a recognized component it doesn’t mean that UL has evaluated it the way you intend to use it or the way the seller says you can use it.

I won’t comment regarding any of the FUD spewed forth in this thread.

Ratherhavefun

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
CEO of Seemore and Dolittle
That NACS adapter gets pretty hot and that’s with the truck taking in less than 180kW at peak and most of the charge curve being a good bit lower. Adding the extra resistance and bulk of an extension cable just seems like a bad idea. Tesla just needs longer cables on their charger, which the newer V4 pedestals do have…. But it seems even with that, we still have to straddle spaces for the cable to work for the Lightning.

Show them Tesla’s own guidance on how to straddle spaces to charge your non-Tesla EV. I showed a lady that the first time I tested my NACS adapter. First she was going to tell me that I can’t charge there, Tesla only, it won’t work…. Then I explained to her that Tesla opened up to Ford, Rivian and soon others and showed her it was charging. Showed her Tesla’s info on how to straddle spaces. She commented on how Ford was stupid for not putting the charge port in the right spot, but was otherwise receptive.
She’s kinda right… wouldn’t it have been intelligent if Ford followed Tesla’s lead in charge door locations, that’s all I’m sayin’!

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
She’s kinda right… wouldn’t it have been intelligent if Ford followed Tesla’s lead in charge door locations, that’s all I’m sayin’!
Then you would be guaranteed to have to unhook your trailer at all charge stations that aren't pull-through, which is most of them. There are pros and cons to everything.
Sponsored