• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Unused 30 Amp Dryer Breaker/Circuit For EV Charging

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I have a 50 amp breaker on order, would a 60 amp be a wiser choice? The wiring will be 6 gauge on the hots and neutral, with a 10 gauge ground.
For the moment, you're planning to use the FMC with the 14-50 adapter plug, stay with the 50.

IF, you eventually plan to go to a 48 amp EVSE, that will need hard wiring and the 60 amp breaker with correctly sized wiring.

Given the very short run.............

Ford F-150 Lightning Unused 30 Amp Dryer Breaker/Circuit For EV Charging 1727192064896-xs
Sponsored

Last edited:

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
The proposed receptacle location inside my garage is literally back to back with my service box.
That definately makes the conduit a reasonable option.

In our case, the panel was on the other side of the wall from the garage in the basement, but about 8' further in the garage than where the EVSE was to be located.

When I got my Focus Electric almost seven years ago, I installed its EVSE on the south (right) side of the garage near the door. This was so it could reach when the car was in the garage or outside. That wall was unfinished and there's a sub panel on that side at the back that serves the garage and all outside outlets.

For the Lightning, parking in the garage is not an option, but the EVSE was to be located opposite the other on the north (left) side. The location of the main panel was ideal for this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Unused 30 Amp Dryer Breaker/Circuit For EV Charging 1000007141
Sponsored