Help: Can't Decide - Tire Replacements

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
I'm at 2 years, 30k on my 2022 and my OEM All Season General Grabbers need replacement. (I Found this tire wear to be in line with what I expected from an OEM tire, EV truck, and my fairly aggressive driving)

I am struggling to narrow in on a selection and need to do so ASAP because these tires are shot and winter is coming! Any help / input is appreciated... below are my considerations.

- Considering both All Terrains and All Seasons. I've never had All-Terrains on any this or my last truck but am considering it. Maybe I'd love it!?!?
- OEM Grabber all seasons were dissapointing in Winter so not considering them. Winter driving is important (Wisconsin)
- Off-roading is irrelevant. Pavement princess.
- IMO, Trucks look better with all-terrains on them.
- If going All terrain, I'm concerned about how bad the range would be affected, but it's not horribly important because I generally am not going long distances where I am pushing range limits.
- Minor concerns about road noise, if going All-terrain? Should this be a concern or not? My kids are likely way louder!
- I dont want to switch between all seasons, and snow tires, I want 1 tire year round... seems like big hassle to swap twice a year.
- On my Nissan Titan I had Michelin DEFENDER LTX (all-season) tires and those seemed to perform well.
- Obviously a tire known for good tread life is important. I would like to get better than 30k out of a non-oem tire.
Sponsored

XLT Jeffy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning XLT SR
"- I dont want to switch between all seasons, and snow tires, I want 1 tire year round... seems like big hassle to swap twice a year."

Seems like you need all terrain that is winter rated. Or drive on winters year round...(not ideal)

I run 2 sets and the swap in winter is quick and easy.

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"- I dont want to switch between all seasons, and snow tires, I want 1 tire year round... seems like big hassle to swap twice a year."

Seems like you need all terrain that is winter rated. Or drive on winters year round...(not ideal)

I run 2 sets and the swap in winter is quick and easy.
You have another set of wheels then? or you have a shop swap the actual tire?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I'm at 2 years, 30k on my 2022 and my OEM All Season General Grabbers need replacement. (I Found this tire wear to be in line with what I expected from an OEM tire, EV truck, and my fairly aggressive driving)

I am struggling to narrow in on a selection and need to do so ASAP because these tires are shot and winter is coming! Any help / input is appreciated... below are my considerations.

- Considering both All Terrains and All Seasons. I've never had All-Terrains on any this or my last truck but am considering it. Maybe I'd love it!?!?
- OEM Grabber all seasons were dissapointing in Winter so not considering them. Winter driving is important (Wisconsin)
- Off-roading is irrelevant. Pavement princess.
- IMO, Trucks look better with all-terrains on them.
- If going All terrain, I'm concerned about how bad the range would be affected, but it's not horribly important because I generally am not going long distances where I am pushing range limits.
- Minor concerns about road noise, if going All-terrain? Should this be a concern or not? My kids are likely way louder!
- I dont want to switch between all seasons, and snow tires, I want 1 tire year round... seems like big hassle to swap twice a year.
- On my Nissan Titan I had Michelin DEFENDER LTX (all-season) tires and those seemed to perform well.
- Obviously a tire known for good tread life is important. I would like to get better than 30k out of a non-oem tire.
I'm planning on picking up a pair of these when I need a tire change. Range hit is minimal if noticed at all according to others that have got them. They were essentially designed for our trucks.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/toyo-open-country-a-t-iii-ev

Sponsored
OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
Nokian Outpost NAT

Ford F-150 Lightning Help: Can't Decide - Tire Replacements IMG_8119

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nokian Outpost NAT

IMG_8119.jpeg
They look great, what load index do you have? And same questions as @WildBlue regarding efficiency on road noise?

for my 20" lariat wheels, they come in 115H or 123/120S E?

116T is spec on the door panel. Not sure how important that spec is or is not. Forgive me, I admittedly know ~jack sh*t about tires.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
I recently installed a set of K02s after one of my OEM tires met an early demise. I was also disappointed in the winter performance from the tires the truck came with.

Definitely more road noise, and efficiency seems to be down a little bit. But I'm excited to see how these do in the snow. Plus they look awesome.

Sponsored

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Developer
I am looking at these tires as well. Are yours mounted on 18" wheels? What about noise and efficiency differences vs stock tires?
yeah I put these on 18s to get a little bit better range since the rims aren’t very aero friendly. 275/70/18 vs my original 275/65/20

Attached is the efficiency hit, exact same run on the city freeway, blue cruise the whole time. 100KM/h speed pretty much constantly. Same exterior temperature. Only difference was the SoC when starting the loop.

Ford F-150 Lightning Help: Can't Decide - Tire Replacements IMG_8021

Ford F-150 Lightning Help: Can't Decide - Tire Replacements IMG_8022

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Developer
I am looking at these tires as well. Are yours mounted on 18" wheels? What about noise and efficiency differences vs stock tires?
Oh and for noise, yes it is undoubtedly nosier, but my wife had no clue until I pointed it out, and then she made fun of me for such a small difference….. so I think that’s an answer on its own.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Oh and for noise, yes it is undoubtedly nosier, but my wife had no clue until I pointed it out, and then she made fun of me for such a small difference….. so I think that’s an answer on its own.
Thanks for the feedback!

For what it's worth, I am looking at going with 265/70/18s and not the 275/70/18s because the 265/70s are 4-ply standard-load (load rating 116, which matches the 20" tires). I suspect the E-rated tires on your truck are one of the reasons for the efficiency drop on top of moving to an all-terrain tire. E-rated tires are considerably heavier then SL rated tires.

What about wet traction? Have you had to drive those tires through the rain and/or snow yet? If so, any impressions you can share along those lines?

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Developer
They look great, what load index do you have? And same questions as @WildBlue regarding efficiency on road noise?

for my 20" lariat wheels, they come in 115H or 123/120S E?

116T is spec on the door panel. Not sure how important that spec is or is not. Forgive me, I admittedly know ~jack sh*t about tires.
125/122S they are way over built for the truck lol the RTR rims would scream for mercy before the tires even flinched. But personally I still find the ride smoother than with the stock 20’s. Just not as secure doing the clover leads on the highway. But that’s to be expected from at AT tire anyways.

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yeah I put these on 18s to get a little bit better range since the rims aren’t very aero friendly. 275/70/18 vs my original 275/65/20

Attached is the efficiency hit, exact same run on the city freeway, blue cruise the whole time. 100KM/h speed pretty much constantly. Same exterior temperature. Only difference was the SoC when starting the loop.

IMG_8021.jpeg

IMG_8022.jpeg
just under 20%.... 😬 not sure I can handle that.
Sponsored

Last edited: