Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
Thanks for the feedback!

For what it's worth, I am looking at going with 265/70/18s and not the 275/70/18s because the 265/70s are 4-ply standard-load (load rating 116, which matches the 20" tires). I suspect the E-rated tires on your truck are one of the reasons for the efficiency drop on top of moving to an all-terrain tire. E-rated tires are considerably heavier then SL rated tires.

What about wet traction? Have you had to drive those tires through the rain and/or snow yet? If so, any impressions you can share along those lines?
In the wet, they are good, but I thought the General Grabbers were also pretty good considering how I drive sometimes…

Still waiting for the first snow. I plan on using these as my “winter tires“ then come April, swapping back to the 20s with the Grabbers for summer usage and longer highway drives.
Sponsored

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
20%.... 😬 not sure I can handle that.
I would not myself do this if I wasn’t ready to use both sets, and swapping back to the original boots when going on long drives. They are more meant to be my winter / light off-roading shoes.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I did look at those... struggling to justify that much of a premium. For instance I can get the Defenders for around $1000 installed. Toyo's would be ~$1800 after install.
Where did you find the Defenders for that price? Best I've priced out was around $1200 for me, which is still cheaper than the Toyo. But I've decided I want to splurge and order the Toyo anyways. I want to do a bit of off roading (nothing crazy) and am hoping the hit I see on range is minimal. My local Discount found 2 and am waiting on another 2 that are back ordered. Should have them on by the end of the month.

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Just put the Michelin Defenders on mine at about 46K miles. No major off-roading planned and looking for quiet and smooth miles ahead. I have the Toyos (non-EV version) on my 3500 Ram and they have been a great tire, but are showing some concerns with quite a bit of tread left recently. Not really a major noise difference from the stick POS Firestones (on a diesel truck though) and they look great. They are starting to have noticeably less wet weather traction which is concerning given the tread wear left.

Ragman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightnings - SR XLT, ER XLT, ER Lariat - 2024
We get a second set of Rim's (Pro/18's) with winters when we order the trucks - the ride is noticeably smoother then the 20's (combination rims and softer winter tires). There is a noticeable range drop I'd say 10% which in combination with the temperature impacts if truck is cold soaked is painful.

That said - on go the winter's... The trucks are a dream to drive with dedicated winter tires. Dealer invoice reads as X-Ice and Tremor Rims - a bit pricey at $3,500 Cdn ($~$2,500 USD).
Sponsored