New EVSE option: a BReAKER with built-in EV Charging: EATON

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Nice to emeet a fellow EE however I’m not a practicing professional.

The EV outlet is a dedicated circuit. We use the charger sparingly when we go up to the cottage maybe 6-8 times a year and usually only charge the truck once to
100% for our return trip home. My place is old and has the old bussman fuse panel (think of those screw in fuses). I use a bussman p-type time delayed cartridge fuse for the 40-amp circuit. I’m using 8 awg wire with approx 50ft run that goes under ground through a conduit.

Anyways, I can’t say for sure if this new panel install outside will resolve the issue. Time will tell. Haven’t been up to the place much lately to test it fully but the handful times we tried it’s been working.

what’s odd is that for a whole year I had no issues. Something over the past 6-months has caused this and nothing changed on the Infrastructure side. Maybe it was a truck update. Idk. In any event, I feel this outdoor panel may work.
Generally, an overcurrent protective device that trips or blows without its rating being exceeded is being subject to excessive heat. Check the temps in the box just after an event. It’s possible some connection has degraded over time and is generating extra heat.
Sponsored

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Generally, an overcurrent protective device that trips or blows without its rating being exceeded is being subject to excessive heat. Check the temps in the box just after an event. It’s possible some connection has degraded over time and is generating extra heat.
I'll open out the outlet next time we are up there to see if the connection is still good. It's a good point, I have not removed the outlet to see.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I'll open out the outlet next time we are up there to see if the connection is still good. It's a good point, I have not removed the outlet to see.
Heating at the receptacle outlet won’t cause your problem directly. At least not until it fails catastrophically. Heat at the fuse will - that’s where I’d check first.

shelnian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER, 2023 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Retired
I had bought the following during the Amazon Prime days for $120 CDN:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0C8HP6NYC?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1

Installed it at the cottage and it has been amazing. I was blowing my 40amp bussman fuses all the time - it would cost me $20 each time I had to replace one and over the summer I replaced them 3x.

I don't know why that was happening since my charger was setup at 32amps. So I installed this a few weeks ago and no issues. Plus it also gives me access to a 30-amp RV outlet as well as a GFCI protected 20-amp outlet.
I doubt if the 50A outlet is EV rated based on the picture. Cheap outlets can fail in bad ways when used for EV charging. There are multiple videos about this.
Sponsored