• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

😡Second owners won't get free NACS adapter if first owner requested it already and it hasn't shipped😡

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
We all need something to be upset about and a place to vent. There was a balance in the universe when you paid for something ( the truck ) and you were getting something for free ( the adapter ). Now without the adapter, the balance is off and the pain of the check you wrote for the truck is becoming unbearable.

This all may be way off but remember you came here because you didn't want to pay for a real shrink ;)
Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Can you cancel the adapter order? You won't be getting it, but someone who does not own the truck that that adapter is allocated to shouldn't get it either. On the other hand can you change the address that the adapter is shipping to? What if someone moves in between ordering/reserving the adapter and shipping?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
What would be fair is for Ford to send two adapters, one to the person they have a contract with and one to the new owner. Given the current state of Ford's EV balance sheet I bet Jim Farley wishes he'd never promised a single adapter to anyone.
Considering the economics, which I have great respect and concern for, they can do even better with 60 minutes of programming the shipping label query code.

Jake24

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 XLT Avalanche 9.6kW
What if someone moves in between ordering/reserving the adapter and shipping?
For questions about order status, call (888) 337⁠-⁠9001, Monday–Friday 9:00AM–5:00PM ET. For all other questions, please call (800) 565⁠-⁠3673, Monday–Friday 8AM–11PM ET, Saturday 8AM–8PM ET. :sleep:

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Having an adapter -- whether from Ford's or from a third party -- is a godsend. I've used my Ford adapter a handful of times and it is SO MUCH BETTER than EA. Such an improvement in my life. I'd gladly pay $200 for other such improvements in my life!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT 312A
It’s too bad they aren’t including them on new 2024 purchases either, but I can see why they wouldn’t want to extend the free adapter offer to used vehicles as they can change hands several times and Ford would be on the hook for lots of adapters.

The good news is that A2Z and Lectron have great alternatives for a fair price that are available right now.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Considering the economics, which I have great respect and concern for, they can do even better with 60 minutes of programming the shipping label query code.
How is that fair to the person who signed up for the adapter?

I get it. The person who signed up for the adapter and no longer owns the truck probably doesn't need the adapter...but they might want the adapter and a court might agree with them that they are entitled to an adapter. Maybe there's a whole class of people who were entitled to adapters and weren't sent adapter. Maybe there's a lawyer out there who will bring all their cases together and take care of it all at once.

It the above scenario likely to happen? I have no idea, but I can do some back of the napkin math. If 1,000 Lightnings change hands between the first owner signing up for the adapter and the adapter being sent and the adapters cost $200, Ford is on the hook for $200k worth of adapters if they just send one to both parties. If they send one only to the second party, with which they don't have an agreement they are on the hook for damages and lawyer fees which would likely exceed $200k. Chump change for a Fortune 50 (not a typo) company? Yeah, probably. Good business? 🤷

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Good Lord 😵 :crazy: maybe the contract has an option clause for vehicles transferred?

Madtroniks

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's interesting seeing how each manufacturer is handing the distribution of adapters.

watson123

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, Antimatter Blue; Tesla Y
Occupation
Attorney
OP, I too am 2nd owner and will not be receiving a charger from Ford. The private seller told me he will send it to me. I went ahead and purchased an A2Z Typhoon for $197 shipped (discount code "FORD"). I suggest you do the same.

FORD "should" send an adapter to 2nd owners as good will. But look, don't lose any sleep over it. Go grab one from A2Z for under $200 and you will be happy with your purchase.

Sponsored

watson123

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, Antimatter Blue; Tesla Y
Occupation
Attorney
Legally speaking (ok I'm a lawyer, yeah), FORD's promise to give folks adapters is a gratuitous promise not supported by any additional consideration. A gratuitous promise is generally not enforceable (possible exception where there is some foreseeable, detrimental reliance, but that exception does not apply here).

I'm really happy with my A2Z Typhoon! From what I hear, the quality is better than FORD's (and of course, the customer service is better by a long shot!).

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7, F-150 Lightning, Kia EV6
OP, I can get your perspective, but I'd balance the lost adapter against the gained ('lost'?) depreciation you didn't have to take for buying this amazing truck brand new with for sure the worst depreciation I've ever had in a vehicle, including my wife's foreign and domestic giant SUVs.

I think you're real gripe is about not being able to order one from the OEM to officially charge with all the legal protections necessary but even us original purchasers are facing the same conundrum because most of us have not received the adapter and just bought aftermarket to make it work for now.

BTW I got my aftermarket Lectron this week and like one of the previous posters said, it's a game changer for sure to have so many more reliable stations available.

OP
OP
transmutated

transmutated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning XLT
I'm really happy with my A2Z Typhoon! From what I hear, the quality is better than FORD's (and of course, the customer service is better by a long shot!).
I ordered the Typhoon Pro adapter July 24th and I'm waiting for it to ship still. Not in a big rush, but I hear 3rd party is all the rage....and faster to ship :D

I think you're real gripe is about not being able to order one from the OEM to officially charge with all the legal protections necessary but even us original purchasers are facing the same conundrum because most of us have not received the adapter and just bought aftermarket to make it work for now.
Not really, I think it's just the blueball feeling of believing it was associated with my account and then finding out it isn't. I feel you on the depreciation thoughj! I think used cars, perhaps especially EV's, are getting smoked in the secondary market. I've got a 2021 Model Y with FSD in cherry shape with 55k miles that they only wanted to give me $22k for. That's a no from me dog. I kept it and just bought the truck. Granted that was 4 years to lose 66% of retail. Still more than I was willing to give up. Will keep it for another year and sell it to my daughter. Car depreciation is a fact of life, just sucks :D

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7, F-150 Lightning, Kia EV6
I ordered the Typhoon Pro adapter July 24th and I'm waiting for it to ship still. Not in a big rush, but I hear 3rd party is all the rage....and faster to ship :D

Not really, I think it's just the blueball feeling of believing it was associated with my account and then finding out it isn't. I feel you on the depreciation thoughj! I think used cars, perhaps especially EV's, are getting smoked in the secondary market. I've got a 2021 Model Y with FSD in cherry shape with 55k miles that they only wanted to give me $22k for. That's a no from me dog. I kept it and just bought the truck. Granted that was 4 years to lose 66% of retail. Still more than I was willing to give up. Will keep it for another year and sell it to my daughter. Car depreciation is a fact of life, just sucks :D
This is like a 2024 version of a car that was originally ordered with all weather floor mats from the factory but when you buy it used, they're missing; or even more specifically that the original owner did get the adapter before trading in the vehicle and decided to keep it to spite the depreciation costs.

You're not wrong to feel some type of way about it, but that's the "cost" of savings tens of thousands over new. Which is prob why you're not receiving the warmest of welcomes on here lol. At the same time, I totally appreciate you posting the original message informing used car buyer beware but maybe your execution might've been a little too upset given the nature of the situation. Then again, the random-ist things make me upset too haha, so do you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
transmutated

transmutated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning XLT
lol, yeah I was ready to start flipping cars over and starting garbage cans on fire. Had I known in advance that it was "gift", context changes everything. I figured it was a delayed accessory since these don't have the NACS port. Once I realized that, it was a lot easier to accept. I'm not losing sleep over it! I put 70 miles on the truck and loved every one of them. I've had the truck for 3 weeks now I think and I've logged nearly 1k miles. It's a great truck with no regrets!
Sponsored