Sponsored

1.4 kwh/mi on interstate…disappointed.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
So, driving 85mph instead of 65mph saves a whopping one hour on a 1600mi drive? With an additional three charging stops? What if on one or more of those charging stops, the overhead time ends up being a lot longer due to having to wait in line to charge? And only 15min overhead time assumption? What about the long lines of cars waiting for Buc-ee’s, for example- no way to get in and out of their parking lot in 15min. Adding more charging stops to a trip compounds the risk of a charging queue, or having to use a low power or de-rated charger, or the frustration of a longer-than-anticipated overhead time. And what is the risk of “traffic stop overhead time“ from driving 20mph over the speed limit, for 1600mi (to say nothing of the potential expense in fines and insurance premiums)?
Again, do this yourself. I pucked 130% because it is FAR FAR more than what most do and has the worst efficiency. I have done this test multiple times with multiple variations in speed and driving faster comes out ahead.

15 minuts is not a short amount of time. That's the amount of time it takes most to get into the car, drive to town, park, and get out. The default is 5 minutes and ABRP has their stuff down pretty good. Can a SINGLE stop take longer? Yes. But this was a quarter of an hour at EVERY SINGLE stop.

I did 2000 miles over a holiday weekend and had ONE stop where I had to wait. Yes, it can happen, but this and getting stopped by the cops is just playing whataboutism. I'm obviously not recommending driving at 130% of the speed limit, again, it was an arbitrary value selected for it's massive inefficiency not as a recommendation. Sheesh
Sponsored

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
What all these apps fail to take into account are the following (at least):

- Time it takes to get from the highway to the charging spot. I've had 1/2 dozen traffic lights, all red.
- Time it takes to get a session going at a working charger.
It literally takes exactly that into account. I specifically stated that I added a quarter of an hour to every. single. stop.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It literally takes exactly that into account. I specifically stated that I added a quarter of an hour to every. single. stop.
You missed my point.

By default, no app takes that into account. YOU have to add a time, and that time is arbitrary. In other words, when you plan a trip in ABRP, it doesn't say "Oh, you want to charge at charger XYZ, after driving on I-75. That's 11 more minutes of driving with traffic lights. And now you want to chare at charger ABC. That's only 2 minutes off the exit."

You can go in and add an arbitrary overhead number, but it's just that, arbitrary.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
The EPA should ditch their current definition of "Highway" mileage (which has starts and stops and an average speed of only 48mph).

Instead they should require manufacturers to publish a new "Freeway Range" number of the mileage at 65mph steady and sustained freeway driving.
That is the number people really want.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
You missed my point.

By default, no app takes that into account. YOU have to add a time, and that time is arbitrary. In other words, when you plan a trip in ABRP, it doesn't say "Oh, you want to charge at charger XYZ, after driving on I-75. That's 11 more minutes of driving with traffic lights. And now you want to chare at charger ABC. That's only 2 minutes off the exit."

You can go in and add an arbitrary overhead number, but it's just that, arbitrary.
That is literally what it DOES do. It a navigation app, it maps you TO the charger, it knows the surface streets you are driving on. And on top of that you can add extra overhead.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
That is literally what it DOES do. It a navigation app, it maps you TO the charger, it knows the surface streets you are driving on. And on top of that you can add extra overhead.
And I'm telling you that it doesn't include enough time to actually get to the charger. I've been using it for 3 years.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
And I'm telling you that it doesn't include enough time to actually get to the charger. I've been using it for 3 years.
So this changed from "it doesn't do it at all" to "well, it's not enough"?

Again, I added an additional TEN minutes to every stop. It's already accounting for drive time to and from the charger, AND adding another quarter of an hour to every stop. Every stop i have had was within 2-3 miles of my route as they put most chargers near the major highways.
Sponsored