Sponsored

8/15 Update: Unacceptable response from Ford on Powertrain malfunction and high voltage battery warnings

KingJo3y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150-lightning Lariet
Occupation
Engineer
Yesterday afternoon I received the attached three warnings and the truck was limited to 20% acceleration. The truck and app say to get the vehicle serviced immediately and it will not charge. I contacted my Ford dealer and was told they were booked until mid September. After escalating to a manager they said they would call me back on Monday after speaking with their technician. I drove the truck into the dealer today and they informed me that it would be at least a week before they could run diagnostics. I asked if I could leave the truck with them and take a loaner and they said they could not offer a loaner until the problem was diagnosed as Ford will not pay for the in warranty loaner until then. I contacted Ford and they confirmed this is their policy. This puts me without a vehicle for at least a week. I am at a loss for words at how unacceptable this response from Ford is. The truck is barely 70 days old and currently not usable.

Any advice would be appreciated from the community.

8/15 Update: Brought the truck to the dealer on Monday after not getting called back and leaving multiple messages. In person, the response was very different. Service Manager came down and had me in an ICE F-150 loaner in about 20 minutes. Huge relief to just have a vehicle to commute. Will keep posted with any developments for the Lightning while it's in the shop.

Ford F-150 Lightning 8/15 Update: Unacceptable response from Ford on Powertrain malfunction and high voltage battery warnings Screenshot_20230812_114528_FordPass

Ford F-150 Lightning 8/15 Update: Unacceptable response from Ford on Powertrain malfunction and high voltage battery warnings Screenshot_20230812_163413_FordPass

Ford F-150 Lightning 8/15 Update: Unacceptable response from Ford on Powertrain malfunction and high voltage battery warnings Screenshot_20230812_163443_FordPass

Ford F-150 Lightning 8/15 Update: Unacceptable response from Ford on Powertrain malfunction and high voltage battery warnings Screenshot_20230812_163518_FordPass
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Call the customer relations team at 1-800-392-3673 and ask to speak to the BEV team. They should be able to assist (or at least provide reimbursement of rental fees you have in the meantime)

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Call the customer relations team at 1-800-392-3673 and ask to speak to the BEV team. They should be able to assist (or at least provide reimbursement of rental fees you have in the meantime)
I have same problem. Occurred 10:05 AM Thursday the 10th. BEV did not agree to pay for rental charges.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
I have same problem. Occurred 10:05 AM Thursday the 10th. BEV did not agree to pay for rental charges.
They may not agree to pay but they may be able to reimburse you for the rental you had to pay for until it got diagnosed

Sponsored
OP
OP

KingJo3y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150-lightning Lariet
Occupation
Engineer
My experience as well.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
My experience as well.
I suggest you file a safety complaint at NHTSA, and file a consumer complaint with Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I drove the truck into the dealer today and they informed me that it would be at least a week before they could run diagnostics. I asked if I could leave the truck with them and take a loaner and they said they could not offer a loaner until the problem was diagnosed as Ford will not pay for the in warranty loaner until then. I contacted Ford and they confirmed this is their policy. This puts me without a vehicle for at least a week. I am at a loss for words at how unacceptable this response from Ford is. The truck is barely 70 days old and currently not usable.
Check your state Lemon Law. If you have the resources to get your own rental and quietly leave the truck at the dealer (or use the free Roadside Assistance to be safe) and no rental is offered – do it. Get the LL clock running. Of course, Lemon Laws vary greatly from state-to-state, but in most states, they're making the mistake in this scenario.

HJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, F150 Lightning, DMG Mach-E GTPE
This is going to cost Ford a fortune in buy backs. Better part of 100,000 dollar trucks (once taxes/fees are counted in) getting returned. Mine is a 22 with <5k miles on it and just turned one year. As of today qualifies for lemon law filing in Georgia. It's an arbitration process but how are they going to argue that it has not been 30 days out of service when the vehicle threw these errors and limited power mid July and been in the shop since (with no end in sight). In Georgia you have to file in the first 2 years of owning, and haven't decided what to do but am more than a little cautious of what sitting at the dealer at 80% charge for a month has done to the battery health.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Do check your state's Lemon Law. They can vary widely from state-to-state. For example, in Massachusetts there is no requirement that a rental car be provided.

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
am more than a little cautious of what sitting at the dealer at 80% charge for a month has done to the battery health.
I would say there isn't anything to worry about. If it was sitting at <20 or >80 (or 100%) for a long time I'd be concerned although in a perfect world 50% would be ideal. 80% nominal charge is pretty close to the actual battery size of the pack anyway.

My truck is well into CA lemon-law territory but it's for really basic stuff like the seat leather, the steering wheel heat, the rear lights, and now my blue cruise camera. I can't even remember all the reasons it's been in the shop over the past 6 months. I don't think the '23s are better than my 22, though, and I definitely don't want a T3 if that's what '24 brings us so not sure what I'd even do if I wanted to make Ford take this back.

HJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, F150 Lightning, DMG Mach-E GTPE
I would say there isn't anything to worry about. If it was sitting at <20 or >80 (or 100%) for a long time I'd be concerned although in a perfect world 50% would be ideal. 80% nominal charge is pretty close to the actual battery size of the pack anyway.

My truck is well into CA lemon-law territory but it's for really basic stuff like the seat leather, the steering wheel heat, the rear lights, and now my blue cruise camera. I can't even remember all the reasons it's been in the shop over the past 6 months. I don't think the '23s are better than my 22, though, and I definitely don't want a T3 if that's what '24 brings us so not sure what I'd even do if I wanted to make Ford take this back.
Don't think the '23 are better either and before now my "only" problem has been twice saturating the cabin interior for roof leaks (the leather seats have the weird folds I have seen on the forum but not enough for me to want to have it looked at). Looked at a 23. No smart hitch, no onboard scales, couldn't even find if a new order would have a heated steering wheel (may sound like a small item but between seat heater and heated steering wheel hardly every use the cabin heat unless I have passengers). Love the smoked quarts color I have now.

If I return would bank the money and see what is out there come 24 or 25 model year (likely would wait for NACS versus CSS charging). Will just need to find a way to convince my wife to give me back the Mach-E GT in the meantime. :)

Last edited:

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
the leather seats have the weird folds I have seen on the forum but not enough for me to want to have it looked at
The clips that hold the leather to the seat frame tend to pop off. You can reach your hand under the seat and feel along the edge that is closest to the center console to confirm if you're having the same problem. There's an edge on the frame rail that catches (and is supposed to hold) the edge of the clips. It seems to me that the metal tab that sticks out isn't out far enough to catch the edge of the plastic clips...of course, once you take a good look at the clips and how everything is held together you'll probably conclude they shouldn't even be plastic but here we are.

I've had mine replaced three times. The last time they replaced the clips. At this point, they've finally agreed to order a new frame so we're waiting on that, new clips, and another new seat cover to arrive. I've had the best results when I request the dealer order the seat cover *and remove it from its box a few days before installing it* and then keeping the truck another couple days before giving it back to me. That gives the compressed foam enough time to fully expand.
Sponsored

Reactions: HJP