• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

80 amp pro charger wiring requirements

Jeremybj

First Name
Jeremy Bjerke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat 511A
Greetings to all,

I am contemplating putting in my 80 amp Ford pro charger once it arrives.

I am currently running a 48 amp open evse with 6 gauge thhn wire.

I am wondering what gauge COPPER you guys have seen for making the Ford charger go at it's full 80 amps. I'll probably run thhn, but Romex would be okay too.

I think I have to do 1 gauge, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. My run is about 20 feet.

Jeremy
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
3 gauge THHN for the power conductors and 6 gauge for the ground is up to code. I ran 2 gauge wire in 1 inch conduit. You will be fine with 3 gauge in a 20 foot run.

If you use any type of cable, you have to use 1 gauge.

F150LER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
2 gauge just barely fit if you box mount it, should def run conduit.

Reactions: VCP

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E, 23 Lightning ER, 15 F150 XLT, 12 Cayman
Occupation
Engineer
I have about 80 feet to get to where I'll mount the charge station, so will use AL 1-1-1-3 AWG service entrance cable to a small junction box and will step to 3 AWG copper THHN as the charge station lugs can only handle that. Most of AL run will be in the basement as well, and the charge station will be mounted outside on the side of the house

Copper is so bizarrely expensive now, that using the AL wire is less than half the cost. I also find it somewhat easier to work with, or I at least tell myself that because its half the cost !!

kwalt21

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have about 80 feet to get to where I'll mount the charge station, so will use AL 1-1-1-3 AWG service entrance cable to a small junction box and will step to 3 AWG copper THHN as the charge station lugs can only handle that. Most of AL run will be in the basement as well, and the charge station will be mounted outside on the side of the house

Copper is so bizarrely expensive now, that using the AL wire is less than half the cost. I also find it somewhat easier to work with, or I at least tell myself that because its half the cost !!
Ford technically states NOT to use Aluminum wire. Although it's not going to hurt.. don't ask me how I know... ;)

Sponsored

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Ford technically states NOT to use Aluminum wire. Although it's not going to hurt.. don't ask me how I know... ;)
Hilarious!!

Actually, the install manual only says to connect the charge station with copper, it says nothing about not using aluminum. It only says to use copper for the AC connections, presumably because the size of the lugs in the charge station can only handle the diameter of 3 AWG Cu.

I have a 100 year old stone house and I've used AL service cable to power all the additions we've done over the years. Its huge and stiff, but boy is it cheaper than copper!

kwalt21

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Hilarious!!

Actually, the install manual only says to connect the charge station with copper, it says nothing about not using aluminum. It only says to use copper for the AC connections, presumably because the size of the lugs in the charge station can only handle the diameter of 3 AWG Cu.

I have a 100 year old stone house and I've used AL service cable to power all the additions we've done over the years. Its huge and stiff, but boy is it cheaper than copper!
It technically states to use 3 AWG copper ONLY. I guess it can be interpreted either way, copper only OR 3 AWG wire only haha.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Copper-only is because of the terminations. If no aluminum wire was allowed anywhere in the circuit serving the EVSE, most people would need to change their service entrance wiring!

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The junction box is a great opportunity to install a disconnect if you're doing a long run.

Sponsored

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
As Maquis says, this is for the connections. Its why the left most column is labeled "Terminal" It has nothing to do with how you get power to that connection. It dictates termination wire size into the connector lug, that's why it specifies torque at the Terminal connector too. As long as you use wire size that supports the appropriate ampacity that the electrical device requires, the type of wire is less important in 90% of cases in residential wiring. Its why I'm using 1 AWG AL, and then will use a commercial junction box to connect the Copper 3 AWG to the 1 AWG AL. Happens all the time.... 3 AWG Cu supports the same ampacity "range" that 1 AWG AL does for this particular application

Copper-only is because of the terminations. If no aluminum wire was allowed anywhere in the circuit serving the EVSE, most people would need to change their service entrance wiring!
Exactly. My house has AL running to the pole, and from the service entrance to the main panel. And then has several AL trunk cables running to various additions and the pool. And then its copper from those sub panels to the actual end devices/receptacles. I used Copper for the Mach E charger because it was only 6 AWG and it was a short distance and the cost was not horrific.

The cost of copper is bonkers. Even though I have a decent amount of copper wire laying around, the big stuff is insanely expensive and Aluminum for large current carrying conductors is a great alternative.

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
The cost of copper is bonkers. Even though I have a decent amount of copper wire laying around, the big stuff is insanely expensive and Aluminum for large current carrying conductors is a great alternative.
Totally agree. I shared the image from the instructions for reference.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The junction box is a great opportunity to install a disconnect if you're doing a long run.
Not only a great opportunity, but it's required depending on where your main panel is.

 Safety Switch: For EVSE rated at more than 60 amps or more than 150 volts to ground, a means of disconnect must be installed in a readily accessible location and within sight of the electric charging connector. If the disconnect is not in sight of the equipment, it must be capable of being locked in the open position (CEC §625.23). Depending on local code requirements, a fused switch may be needed if the switch is not readily accessible, or is not visible from the main panel.

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Not only a great opportunity, but it's required depending on where your main panel is.

 Safety Switch: For EVSE rated at more than 60 amps or more than 150 volts to ground, a means of disconnect must be installed in a readily accessible location and within sight of the electric charging connector. If the disconnect is not in sight of the equipment, it must be capable of being locked in the open position (CEC §625.23). Depending on local code requirements, a fused switch may be needed if the switch is not readily accessible, or is not visible from the main panel.
I'm probably going to de-rate the Charge Station Pro to either 48 or 64 Amps because of my house main capacity (150 amps) and I also have another EV charger in the garage for the Mach E, plus all the other equipment that draws power.

The disconnect makes sense, but not sure what "readily accessible location" means. Was on mikeholt.com and most of those guys don't exactly know what that means either. Curious, how you interpret that. I really don't want to have a disconnect on the side of my house where the driveway is. I can have it in the basement near where the feed will emerge from the house to the back of the charge station, but it will be behind a Bilco door.

Also, tough to find a disconnect beyond 60 amps that is packaged in an outdoor enclosure.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm probably going to de-rate the Charge Station Pro to either 48 or 64 Amps because of my house main capacity (150 amps) and I also have another EV charger in the garage for the Mach E, plus all the other equipment that draws power.

The disconnect makes sense, but not sure what "readily accessible location" means. Was on mikeholt.com and most of those guys don't exactly know what that means either. Curious, how you interpret that. I really don't want to have a disconnect on the side of my house where the driveway is. I can have it in the basement near where the feed will emerge from the house to the back of the charge station, but it will be behind a Bilco door.

Also, tough to find a disconnect beyond 60 amps that is packaged in an outdoor enclosure.
I think the definition of readily accessible is pretty clear:
Ford F-150 Lightning 80 amp pro charger wiring requirements 946632D1-DC5A-4A26-8138-13AB12FA8AC2
In the basement is fine as long as it’s lockable.

Larger outdoor rated disconnects are available, but most include fuses or a breaker and get expensive.

If you make the hardware setting 48A, the branch circuit only needs to meet the 60A requirements…i.e., no disconnect required.
Sponsored