• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Air Conditioner Compressor Issues

JMR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat+ Lightning Ordered
A few days ago, my air conditioner compressor kicked on and immediately back off when I started the truck. It did not kick back on until I started driving which was immediately highway driving. Yesterday after work, the same thing. I was in town this time and the compressor would kick on and blow cold air when moving and kick back off and blow hot air when stopped. Same thing again today. I tried calling the dealership to set up an appointment but couldn't get them to answer the phone so I drove up there. Once I arrived. they told me their system has been down since last Wednesday and they can't accept any appointments or do any warranty work. They have no idea when the system will be back up. I've had the truck for two years now, taking delivery in July 2022. I had no issues with the compressor the first summer. Last summer, the compressor starting making a high pitched whine when it kicked on (which I've seen mentioned in a few posts here and there on this forum). The dealership of course told me this was normal so I was expecting problems at some point. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, was it a bad compressor or a bad relay switch? If it is a relay switch, the whining still has be concerned.
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Thankfully I haven't encountered anything like that. The compressor is quite loud when running, but otherwise operates normally thus far. It gets regular use 8 months of the year here, so I'm following to see how things go for you. Are there any other dealers you can try or are you stuck with the one?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Could be loss of refrigerant.

OP
OP

JMR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thankfully I haven't encountered anything like that. The compressor is quite loud when running, but otherwise operates normally thus far. It gets regular use 8 months of the year here, so I'm following to see how things go for you. Are there any other dealers you can try or are you stuck with the one?
Yes, but they are farther away. I had originally selected this dealership for all service needs because they had two certified EV techs whereas the others had none. I'm sure that has changed by now so I may switch for this one.

OP
OP

JMR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Could be loss of refrigerant.
The compressor shuts down when stopped - obvious since it is so loud when running. The air is very cold when the truck is moving and the compressor kicks on so I'd be surprised if it's a refrigerant issue.

Sponsored

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
The compressor shuts down when stopped - obvious since it is so loud when running. The air is very cold when the truck is moving and the compressor kicks on so I'd be surprised if it's a refrigerant issue.
Are you sure it's the compressor you are hearing? Compressors generally have a pretty quiet hum (listen to your outside a/c unit at your house). What is loud in our trucks is the condenser fan. It has to move a lot of air past the condenser to draw heat from it and condense the refrigerant.

ICE cars have condenser fans too that kick on when there isn't enough airflow past the condenser, such as when at a standstill. I've had that fan fail before and the air would be cold when moving but get hot when stopped because there's wasn't airflow to draw heat from the condenser.

I have noticed in our trucks that the fan is controlled based on heat load, which can vary due to cabin and battery temps. I've heard it kick on and off when the truck is stopped as needed to provide cooling. When fast charging it roars to life to cool the battery.

Keep an eye on your battery and motor temps. With Max tow there's a separate compressor for battery and motors, and one for cabin. Without max tow there's one compressor. I'm not certain about the fan design, but with max tow the condenser has zones within a single unit. If you have max tow and your battery and cabin are getting warm, I'd be looking at the fan as a culprit.

OP
OP

JMR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you sure it's the compressor you are hearing? Compressors generally have a pretty quiet hum (listen to your outside a/c unit at your house). What is loud in our trucks is the condenser fan. It has to move a lot of air past the condenser to draw heat from it and condense the refrigerant.

ICE cars have condenser fans too that kick on when there isn't enough airflow past the condenser, such as when at a standstill. I've had that fan fail before and the air would be cold when moving but get hot when stopped because there's wasn't airflow to draw heat from the condenser.

I have noticed in our trucks that the fan is controlled based on heat load, which can vary due to cabin and battery temps. I've heard it kick on and off when the truck is stopped as needed to provide cooling. When fast charging it roars to life to cool the battery.

Keep an eye on your battery and motor temps. With Max tow there's a separate compressor for battery and motors, and one for cabin. Without max tow there's one compressor. I'm not certain about the fan design, but with max tow the condenser has zones within a single unit. If you have max tow and your battery and cabin are getting warm, I'd be looking at the fan as a culprit.
I know the fans noise you are talking about and they work just fine and when they are supposed to. It's absolutely the A/C compressor whining. I can make it turn on and off with the A/C controls. I took it to have it checked out last summer because it should be quiet like you said.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
My compressor is impossible to hear from the cabin. I can tell it’s running by monitoring power consumption with my scan tool, and I can faintly hear it outside the truck. I can’t imagine a compressor issue would cause these symptoms, though.

The compressor doesn’t care if the wheels are spinning, it runs when the computers decide to give it power. Something is causing it to only be activated when you’re driving, so I’m guessing it’s caused by a failing sensor of some sort.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
What's weird is I have never heard it ramp up like that going through the fan speeds. It usually ramps up at a consistent increase.
I don't recall my Lightning making that type of sound during initial start up, I'll pay closer attention in the morning.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Sounds like something is in the squirrel cage, I once took a full hydrangea flower out the blower in one of our cars and, of course, the kids dropped something into one the vents and it had a similar sound. The speed/sound increase could be the motor trying to overcome what's in the blower. My 2 cents.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
A few days ago, my air conditioner compressor kicked on and immediately back off when I started the truck. It did not kick back on until I started driving which was immediately highway driving. Yesterday after work, the same thing. I was in town this time and the compressor would kick on and blow cold air when moving and kick back off and blow hot air when stopped. Same thing again today. I tried calling the dealership to set up an appointment but couldn't get them to answer the phone so I drove up there. Once I arrived. they told me their system has been down since last Wednesday and they can't accept any appointments or do any warranty work. They have no idea when the system will be back up. I've had the truck for two years now, taking delivery in July 2022. I had no issues with the compressor the first summer. Last summer, the compressor starting making a high pitched whine when it kicked on (which I've seen mentioned in a few posts here and there on this forum). The dealership of course told me this was normal so I was expecting problems at some point. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, was it a bad compressor or a bad relay switch? If it is a relay switch, the whining still has be concerned.
Pretty sure it is a mechanical problem with your A/C compressor...Ford ought to cover it if your bumper-to-bumper warranty is still in effect. Bumper to Bumper Coverage: Three years/36,000 miles, or if you bought the optional Extended service contract warranty, like:
PremiumCARE Plus EV
1000+
Components Covered
Includes Ford Protect PremiumCARE EV and Ford Protect Premium Maintenance EV. Covers the parts and labor to repair thousands of key components- EV motors, electrical, high-tech, steering, brakes, front suspension, air conditioning and 10 years or 150,000 miles. Failure of covered components due to defects in materials and workmanship and normal wear and tear are included. Covers routine inspections and all scheduled maintenance, plus replacement of selected wear items, including shock absorbers/struts, coolant hoses and clamps, brake pads and linings, and wiper blades.

or

PremiumCARE EV
1000+
Components Covered
Covers the parts and labor to repair thousands of key components- EV motors, electrical, high-tech, steering, brakes, front suspension, air conditioning and 10 years or 150,000 miles. Failure of covered components due to defects in materials and workmanship and normal wear and tear are included. With Ford Protect PremiumCARE EV, it’s covered.

See: https://www.hayscoolingandheating.c...or-to-make-a-whining-noise-when-accelerating/

What an AC Compressor Whining Noise Means
Loud whining sounds from a compressor often mean there’s an internal pressure problem. If enough pressure is released from the compressor, it might sound more like a loud scream. This shouldn’t last for more than 10 to 15 seconds. Otherwise, pressure is likely building to unsafe levels. Your AC unit may also turn on and off frequently.

It’s a bad idea to keep running your AC at this point. Shut it off if the safety switch hasn’t done so already. Allowing the system to run can lead to more significant damage and even complete compressor failure.

The pressure that causes AC compressor whining can be due to a:

• Refrigerant overcharge, which strains the compressor’s piston cylinders.
  • Blocked suction line, which can also cause the system to overheat.
  • Dirty coil, in which dust, grime, and mineral scale prevent heat transfer, increasing pressure and temperature until the compressor overheats and fails.
Causes of a Whining Noise When Accelerating Your Car
A bad AC compressor in a car can also make a whining sound when the vehicle accelerates. It is attached by a belt to the crankshaft. As a compressor under pressure powers up, it will make more noise. However, whining sounds when accelerating your vehicle can also be indicative of a transmission fluid leak, worn out gears, low power steering fluid, or a water pump or alternator bearing problem. If your car makes a whining noise when idling, there may be an oil leak or stuck valve.

If your car is whining, first check fluid levels and top off any fluids if necessary. Perhaps a belt needs to be tightened or replaced. When you have any doubts as to the nature of or solution to a problem, take your vehicle to a mechanic for an inspection.

Whining Noises and Your HVAC Compressor
High suction pressure is a common problem that can affect residential and commercial AC compressors. If it occurs along with low head pressure, there may be a faulty or leaky compressor valve. Signs of a bad valve include a higher discharge temperature and reduced amp draw. Low head pressure is a result of the discharge valve not sealing properly.

A worn compressor piston ring can allow discharge gases to leak, reducing head pressure and elevating suction pressure. That’s why worn rings can be mistaken for leaky valves. Another possible cause of high pressure is a leaky oil separator. Controlling the high and low sides of the system, the oil separator allows oil to travel from it to the crankcase of the compressor. Pressure rises to abnormally high levels when the needle valve gets partially stuck open, facing into the crankcase; a sign of trouble is if the oil return line is hotter than the ambient temperature.

OP
OP

JMR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pretty sure it is a mechanical problem with your A/C compressor...Ford ought to cover it if your bumper-to-bumper warranty is still in effect. Bumper to Bumper Coverage: Three years/36,000 miles, or if you bought the optional Extended service contract warranty, like:
PremiumCARE Plus EV
1000+
Components Covered
Includes Ford Protect PremiumCARE EV and Ford Protect Premium Maintenance EV. Covers the parts and labor to repair thousands of key components- EV motors, electrical, high-tech, steering, brakes, front suspension, air conditioning and 10 years or 150,000 miles. Failure of covered components due to defects in materials and workmanship and normal wear and tear are included. Covers routine inspections and all scheduled maintenance, plus replacement of selected wear items, including shock absorbers/struts, coolant hoses and clamps, brake pads and linings, and wiper blades.

or

PremiumCARE EV
1000+
Components Covered
Covers the parts and labor to repair thousands of key components- EV motors, electrical, high-tech, steering, brakes, front suspension, air conditioning and 10 years or 150,000 miles. Failure of covered components due to defects in materials and workmanship and normal wear and tear are included. With Ford Protect PremiumCARE EV, it’s covered.

See: https://www.hayscoolingandheating.c...or-to-make-a-whining-noise-when-accelerating/

What an AC Compressor Whining Noise Means
Loud whining sounds from a compressor often mean there’s an internal pressure problem. If enough pressure is released from the compressor, it might sound more like a loud scream. This shouldn’t last for more than 10 to 15 seconds. Otherwise, pressure is likely building to unsafe levels. Your AC unit may also turn on and off frequently.

It’s a bad idea to keep running your AC at this point. Shut it off if the safety switch hasn’t done so already. Allowing the system to run can lead to more significant damage and even complete compressor failure.

The pressure that causes AC compressor whining can be due to a:

• Refrigerant overcharge, which strains the compressor’s piston cylinders.
  • Blocked suction line, which can also cause the system to overheat.
  • Dirty coil, in which dust, grime, and mineral scale prevent heat transfer, increasing pressure and temperature until the compressor overheats and fails.
Causes of a Whining Noise When Accelerating Your Car
A bad AC compressor in a car can also make a whining sound when the vehicle accelerates. It is attached by a belt to the crankshaft. As a compressor under pressure powers up, it will make more noise. However, whining sounds when accelerating your vehicle can also be indicative of a transmission fluid leak, worn out gears, low power steering fluid, or a water pump or alternator bearing problem. If your car makes a whining noise when idling, there may be an oil leak or stuck valve.

If your car is whining, first check fluid levels and top off any fluids if necessary. Perhaps a belt needs to be tightened or replaced. When you have any doubts as to the nature of or solution to a problem, take your vehicle to a mechanic for an inspection.

Whining Noises and Your HVAC Compressor
High suction pressure is a common problem that can affect residential and commercial AC compressors. If it occurs along with low head pressure, there may be a faulty or leaky compressor valve. Signs of a bad valve include a higher discharge temperature and reduced amp draw. Low head pressure is a result of the discharge valve not sealing properly.

A worn compressor piston ring can allow discharge gases to leak, reducing head pressure and elevating suction pressure. That’s why worn rings can be mistaken for leaky valves. Another possible cause of high pressure is a leaky oil separator. Controlling the high and low sides of the system, the oil separator allows oil to travel from it to the crankcase of the compressor. Pressure rises to abnormally high levels when the needle valve gets partially stuck open, facing into the crankcase; a sign of trouble is if the oil return line is hotter than the ambient temperature.
Thanks for the info. I am still under bumper to bumper warranty coverage.
Sponsored

Reactions: chl