• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Another Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power customer

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
A few of you commenting on the service wrench but no driveability issues; could be the coolant diverter valve. I had a wrench that came on, then went off, and I continued driving until it came back on. Finally dropped it off and thus began my coolant saga documented elsewhere. There may have been a power reduction, but not sure because at the time I was stretched for range, and couldnā€™t afford to ā€œgive it the beansā€ due to limited charging options.
Sponsored

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
My ā€˜23 had a power train malfunction affecting the AWD system after I started the truck, left a job site and it cut power to a limp home mode at 15 mph. I immediately pulled over to a side street, then positioned the truck so it could be loaded on a roll back. Then turned it off, restarted. It appeared to restart normally with a yellow-orange wrench appearing lower right of dash. It drove normally. The malfunction warning clearly stated ā€œCall the dealerā€. I called the dealer & arranged a drop off next day.

Next day on restart, the wrench did not appear. Drove fine to dealer 17 miles distant. Dealer diagnosed issue after morning of 2nd shop day as likely a partial failed OTA download (which they updated). As a consequence of a discussion with tech support I turned off the wireless connectivity and left only the trucks modem as the OTA update cellular access as thatā€™s more signal strength than our garageā€™s wireless access point. This eliminates the likely connect-reconnect between a wireless signal/cellular signal during an OTA. That would cause an OTA interruption.

End result is probably a mesh system upgrade for the house-garage which is about 100ā€™ from end to end and at the limit of extenders. In the meantime itā€™s the trucks modem for OTAs. This may solve a long running OTA update issue as failed, then successful OTAs were flagged in the update menu.

Last edited:

ctaschuk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
We are in Canada, and the exact fault that comes up is "Powertrain System Fault". It says that it illuminates when the system has detected a powertrain or a four-wheel drive fault. The error message comes and goes. We booked with the dealer, but it naturally disappeared the day we took it in and the dealer told us they couldn't do anything with it if the message is gone now. It has come back 20 times since, nearly every time we drive it. Puzzled as to what to do.

Tom Jensen

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning 2023
Occupation
Attorney
I will report back after seeing the dealer. Iā€™m hoping for a simple fix, but dreading the other kind.
I took the truck to my dealer for a diagnostic. The report back was that the problem was caused by a glitch with the gear shift module. To be exact:: ā€œUnrealized NL3Z 7210 AJ: Lever-Gear Shift.ā€. Theyā€™ll have the replacement part on hand tomorrow and say theyā€™ll need 3-4 hours to replace and reprogram. This may prove to be a straightforward thing. We will see.

OP
OP

danate

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
Just wanted to follow up and report that the issue has been fixed. My dealer was excellent and gave me a loaner from the start (granted it was a gas Explorer). They found the code P0B24:21 for HV battery voltage unstable. Located the faulty cell in module 7 and ordered a replacement. They said the replacement came faster than expected and I got my truck back just 10 days after dropping it off. They also did the 20k service for free and fixed the camera alignment issues I was having. Big thumbs up for Downtown Ford of Sacramento (Howe Ave. location).

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Knightro2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Just wanted to follow up and report that the issue has been fixed. My dealer was excellent and gave me a loaner from the start (granted it was a gas Explorer). They found the code P0B24:21 for HV battery voltage unstable. Located the faulty cell in module 7 and ordered a replacement. They said the replacement came faster than expected and I got my truck back just 10 days after dropping it off. They also did the 20k service for free and fixed the camera alignment issues I was having. Big thumbs up for Downtown Ford of Sacramento (Howe Ave. location).
Good to hear! My dealer is still working my issue. I'm over two weeks in with a loaner at the moment. They found the faulty cell but weren't able to resolve it. Looks like they may be replacing the whole module or full battery replacement. Will hopefully know more next week.

OP
OP

danate

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
Good to hear! My dealer is still working my issue. I'm over two weeks in with a loaner at the moment. They found the faulty cell but weren't able to resolve it. Looks like they may be replacing the whole module or full battery replacement. Will hopefully know more next week.
They told me they can't replace individual cells. They just order the corresponding module and replace it.

Knightro2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Update: so after a month I finally got my truck back today. They replaced a battery module but it took them that long just to get one in.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Would you guys be so kind as to report your vehicle build date (driver's door sticker top) and mileage when problem occured? See my PM/RP error tracking spreadsheet in my signature for a list of folks this problem is happening to. For a bad cell in a battery module, I am thinking the problems are going away with the newer battery builds. Green crossouts in the spreadsheet are to indicate the problem was not a cell in a battery module.
@danate , @Tom Jensen , @Knightro2 , @Jseis , @ctaschuk

Sponsored

Mirus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Hello all. I've been following these issues on here silently since buying my 2022 Lightning Lariat a year ago (I bought it used from a private party with 5k miles since dealer markup was insane) and I wasn't that surprised when it hit me. I'm about to hit 20k miles and I've been problem free for the past year.

Yesterday I was just driving around 40mph and I went to accelerate and felt a decrease in power and got the "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" warning. I also had the service wrench light come up, but I think that's also due to my approaching service interval.

My power was reduced to 54%, which was still drivable and I was able to run my errand and get home. I've noticed most of these stories have rendered the vehicle useless with something like 5%. Are there different outcomes based on these reduction levels or are they just arbitrary?

I found a dealer that would look at it on Tuesday, so I won't have any answers until then. Yes, I added myself to the poll already. Fingers crossed.
I just had the same issue happen to me. Took it to the dealer today and they said they may charge a diagnostic fee if the error goes away on its own as ford wouldn't reimburse diagnostics if it fixes on its own. Complete BS.

LouFl

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F_150 lightning xltxtdbattery
I like the EV tech notes...
I hope it is fixed.
I just got a brand new XLT extended battery package 312 last week of April and when trying to leave for dinner last night got the power train malfunction reduced power in my driveway and also shift system fault at the same time. Called ford and had it towed to the dealer since it would not allow me to shift gears from park. Truck was built September 23 and I got it brand new 2 months ago.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I just got a brand new XLT extended battery package 312 last week of April and when trying to leave for dinner last night got the power train malfunction reduced power in my driveway and also shift system fault at the same time. Called ford and had it towed to the dealer since it would not allow me to shift gears from park. Truck was built September 23 and I got it brand new 2 months ago.
Good morning, Lou. Would you please send over a private message with your VIN and dealer info so I can look into this concern regarding the power train malfunction and shift system fault?

LouFl

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F_150 lightning xltxtdbattery
Good morning, Lou. Would you please send over a private message with your VIN and dealer info so I can look into this concern regarding the power train malfunction and shift system fault?
How do I send the private message through this ?
Sponsored