• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone done a deep dive into real Level 2 charge efficiency?

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
.......... Trophy husband
I have nothing to add other than...

Bar Harbor! I spent my summers as a youth in Salisbury Cove :)
Sponsored

OP
OP

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT SR, Max Tow, 23 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
I have nothing to add other than...

Bar Harbor! I spent my summers as a youth in Salisbury Cove :)
Cool. I live 4.4 miles from Salisbury Cove. There are quite a few Lightnings on the island. At least 10 and probably more. A great Island vehicle…

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
Oh yeah, still loving ours. Even with 160ish range between charges we still stop more than we charge. I have learned that Wall*Mart restrooms - although not fancy - are much better than the rest area bathrooms around here, and light years above what I remember gas stations were like. One of the hidden benefits of an EV. I just wish that Costco was on the EV train, I'd actually buy stuff there.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Last Saturday night I added 69kw to the truck and my Emporia measured 77kw consumed. Roughly 90% efficient running 32 amps. I'll run it again this weekend at 48amps and see where it lands, but I'd guess 90% efficiency will be pretty close for most L2 charging.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Attached are results of a few representative home charge sessions with a Ford Charge Station Pro at 32 amps.

KW @ TED = KW measured by The Energy Detective TED 5000 energy monitor on charge circuit.
KW @ CSP = KW measured by Charge Station Pro as reported by FordPass app.
CHG EFFIC. = KW @ CSP divided by KW @ TED times 100.

Efficiencies are generally between 92% and 95%.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone done a deep dive into real Level 2 charge efficiency? EV Charge Efficiency

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Recently I had a charging session that showed that I added 40 kWh raising the SOC from 85% to 90%, that 40 kWH was clearly bogus, your shot is closer to reality though still optimistic 112/44.4 @ 2.52 MPK.

I've been tracking the Fordpass reported session kWh, with the FCSP records and my Emporia Vue2 energy monitor which exclusively tracks the 240vx80a feeds, comparing these measurements against the anticipated energy based on the delta of displayed SOC.

1716836581295-v7.png

1716836688114-2b.png
Awesome tracking. Do you always charge at the full 80 amps? Just curious if you see a difference in efficiency if you charge faster or slower.
If you have this in a spreadsheet, you can work out the efficiency (probably Fordpass KWH/FCSP KWH would give a pretty accurate efficiency).

I'm guessing you don't use Departure Times? That might affect efficiency pretty dramatically on cold days in Mass. A spot check suggests not since you are running around 91% on the few I checked.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Awesome tracking. Do you always charge at the full 80 amps? Just curious if you see a difference in efficiency if you charge faster or slower.
If you have this in a spreadsheet, you can work out the efficiency (probably Fordpass KWH/FCSP KWH would give a pretty accurate efficiency).

I'm guessing you don't use Departure Times? That might affect efficiency pretty dramatically on cold days in Mass. A spot check suggests not since you are running around 91% on the few I checked.
These data points are all at the 80 amp setting, the FCSP control app is so unpredictable with making amperage changes I hesitate to fool around, I could pull the cover and dial in but that's a PIA.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
These data points are all at the 80 amp setting, the FCSP control app is so unpredictable with making amperage changes I hesitate to fool around, I could pull the cover and dial in but that's a PIA.
I wouldn't worry about pulling the cover. I'm testing this weekend at 48 amps and will compare what I get at 32 amps and what you get at 80 amps. I suspect they will be pretty close to your 91% give or take a percent.

OMO7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning
Is there a charge rate that has an optimal efficiency?

My Emporia said I added 19.81 kWh while the FordPass history says +20kWh. I imagine that's rounding, but why aren't I seeing any loss?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
My Emporia said I added 19.81 kWh while the FordPass history says +20kWh.
Are you using the Vue2 or is this the stats directly from the Emporia EVSE?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Ok, good to know how your getting EVSE data.

The new charge session record now showing total kWh of energy dispensed is not reliable, I've seen grossly inaccurate data.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Getting an accurate SOC in Li batteries is problematic, the voltage discharge curve is very flat. Therefore, small voltage changes are involved between say 90% and 100% SOC, and the smaller the voltage change the less accurate the estimate.

So knowing how many kWhrs actually went into the battery is difficult. And the Lightning is no Einstein.

Generally, EVSEs will lose between 5% and 10% during charing, mainly due to wire/conductor resistance/heat, then you have the AC to DC conversion system in the vehicle which will "waste" energy, then the battery itself has thermal and molecular losses.

As others said above, there are many factors that will contribute to energy loss/inefficiency during charging.

Be happy that it only cost about $5 to $10 of electricity vs the $ it would have cost to fill an ICE with gasoline.

You said your "ChargePoint Home, with utility grade metering, shows the truck actually took 47.3249 kWh" so accept that the battery probably got 90% of that energy. The on-board guesstimates are not going to be exact because of the difficulties involved in determining the SOC of Li batteries.

You didn't say where the metering was measured. So should we assuming it is being measured at or by the EVSE?

If you are measuring the kWhrs at the service, then you have to account for the resistance losses between the service and the EVSE due to the resistance per length of wire, the current it is carrying squared and the time involved (R x I x I x T).

I am an electrical engineer with a masters degree.

For further reading see: https://www.powertechsystems.eu/home/tech-corner/lithium-ion-state-of-charge-soc-measurement/

"...Lithium-ion batteries have a much flatter discharge curve, which means that over a wide operating range, the voltage at the battery terminals changes very slightly.

Lithium Iron Phosphate technology has the flattest discharge curve, which makes it very difficult to estimate SoC on a simple voltage measurement. Indeed, the voltage difference between two SoC values may be so small that it is not possible to estimate the state of charge with good precision..."

OP
OP

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT SR, Max Tow, 23 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
thanks for all the replies. I posted another thread yesterday as I used CarScanner Pro to monitor the truck and charger data points all day while I charged at work, and from the at work data, 91.4% charger efficiency. The issue from the other day had to be Fords battery kWh estimates are not the most accurate as reported. Great news!
Sponsored