• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone seen anything like this? Bedside base coat issue..

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT SR, Max Tow, 23 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Had a good look today. Seems to have appeared in the last month and getting more visible. Basecoat failure? ….new ‘23 delivered new in March 24.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone seen anything like this? Bedside base coat issue.. IMG_9217

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone seen anything like this? Bedside base coat issue.. IMG_9218

Sponsored

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Honestly. Not sure what we are lookin' at here. There are a fair amount of reflections and light artifacts to be able to know for sure what the paint might look like.
Sorry.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Had a good look today. Seems to have appeared in the last month and getting more visible. Basecoat failure? ….new ‘23 delivered new in March 24.

IMG_9217.jpeg

IMG_9218.jpeg

If you are talking about the dirt, that happened to mine too. Still haven’t found a way to stop that one from happening.

I washed it once and the 💩 came back🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
If you are talking about the dirt, that happened to mine too. Still haven’t found a way to stop that one from happening.

I washed it once and the 💩 came back🤷‍♂️
Those “ shadows” are actually a change in base coat color to almost a white color All around the wheel wells. The dealer saw it today and is talking to Ford.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

IMG_9217.jpeg

IMG_9218.jpeg

Hey there. Can you send over a message with your VIN and estimated mileage? I would like to take a closer look at your body paint concerns on my end.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Hey there. Can you send over a message with your VIN and estimated mileage? I would like to take a closer look at your body paint concerns on my end.
Certainly! Darlings Ford took many photos last evening as well. Thank you for the reply!

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I don't see anything either. Please let us know what comes of it.

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
My 22' Pro has somthing similar going on with the upper bed paint finish. Mine is oxford white though, so not as noticeable colorwise. But when I look closely at the paint finish at a certain angle, I can clearly see the texture of the underlying sheet metal. I assume it's because the paint coat not sufficiently thick enough to cover the metal imperfections below.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
I haven't noticed that on mine but will check a little closer, the only thing I've found on mine were a few runs and some trash. The joys of paying an extra $800 for a color!

OP
OP

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
It’s hard to see paint issues in photos. But the base coat is splotchy and changing color. It looks like baby powder was sprayed under the clearCoat for 25% of the quarter panel.

I don't see anything either. Please let us know what comes of it.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I can see the defect. I'm surprised you didn't see that earlier. You shouldn't have a problem getting it repainted under warranty.

OP
OP

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
It was not there upon delivery or was so faint it did not show. I have shown this truck at shows and walk up to that rear quarter daily where it’s parked at work. It has just started appearing in the last few weeks. I hear basecoat failure can happen but it’s rare. This is the strangest paint issue I have ever seen. Anyway it’s at the dealer now. Frunk was on auto open mode 16 times this weekend after an update last week (opening on its own when parked) and now 12V errors….just started appearing today. 12,000 reliable miles until last Friday but it will get sorted. Ford wants good looking lightnings on the road…
Sponsored