First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT-ER
Occupation
IT Engineer
Is anyone else having a problem where the truck is ignoring the preferred schedule set in the app? I’m wanting to only charge between 2am and 5am but lately it’s ignoring the schedule. This can be a very bad thing if it decides to charge during peak hours. I’ve attached the screen shots showing that it’s setup correctly and it knows it’s at home.

Ford F-150 Lightning At home charging schedule IMG_0893
Ford F-150 Lightning At home charging schedule IMG_0892
Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
How large of charger are you using? Your only allowing 3 hours to gain 54% SOC, there may not be enough time to achieve that.
I believe if this is the case, the software logic will ignore your request entirely and start as soon as it is plugged in.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
How large of charger are you using? Your only allowing 3 hours to gain 54% SOC, there may not be enough time to achieve that.
I believe if this is the case, the software logic will ignore your request entirely and start as soon as it is plugged in.
Absolutely correct.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
The factors shown and in combination with a 80 amp FCSP , you would need about 4 hours 40 minutes to charge from 26% to 80%

If you're not needing to replenish 54% daily, but only every few days, I would suggest you charge every day, but factor the stopping %% so that it doesn't kick off early at peak toll rates.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Confirmed it will start charging immediately if it determines it can't get to your desired SOC in your window. It will charge until it thinks it can finish in your window, then shut off and wait for your window to finish.

Sponsored

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Believe having a Departure time of 4:30 am will override your normal Charging time window.

If you don't have a Departure time set, then the truck will only charge during the Charge times you have set. In this case it may not have enough time to get to your target by 5AM and will stop charging., but the truck will start charging again when your charge window opens back up....(provided truck stays plugged in).

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
As others have said, the Lightning figures out how much time is needed to reach your target SOC by your departure time, based on the rate the EVSE is offering, and will ignore your schedule if it doesn't provide the needed time.

Our Lightning is scheduled to charge between midnight and 7 am on weekdays. When we started the new ultra-low overnight rate last November (2.8 cents per kWh from 11 pm to 7 am, 7 days a week), we didn't want it to start before 11 pm. Prior to that, the low rate of 8.7 cents per kWh is in effect from 7 pm to 7 am weekdays and all day on weekends and holidays, so early starting was not an issue.

The Lightning uses an Emporia EVSE and it is programmed to only provide a charge between 11 pm and 7 am, so if the Lightning wants to start early, it can't. Of course if needed, we can manually override the schedule or can plug the Lightning into the "dumb" EVSE that is usually used for my FFE.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truaz

Truaz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT-ER
Occupation
IT Engineer
I don’t really care if I get to 80% or not I just don’t want to 80%. I only want to charge between 2 and 5 AM since it’s the coolest time of the day (it’s still 100’+ at 10 pm in Phoenix) it’s also the time that energy costs least.

The departure time was set to see if the behavior would change. But it still starts charging immediately. I’ll disable that again and see what happens.

Someone asked…I’m using the Ford charge station pro which has really no management capabilities whatsoever. If there is a way to not allow any charging between specific hours at this level I would be happy but does not seem to be an option.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
The following might help, assuming the amount of energy needed for one days travels is moderate.

Delete the departure event, use remote start to chill the cabin 10/15 minutes prior to leaving.

Reduce the SOC goal to 60-65%, or a value that will get you through a day of travel.

Charge daily.

On days when you'll need extra mileage, you just have to pay the extra rate for time you use it.

Note: the OBCC uses a factor of about 48 amps when it computes how long the session will last, from that calculation it decides whether or not to ignore your time rules (stored in the truck), 11.5 kWh for 3 hours comes to ~82 miles gross or 75 miles of battery energy with 10% losses 75/2.4 all this comes to is ~25% rise in SOC over that 3 hour period [IN THE TRUCKS MIND] I wish FORD engineers would make this computation dynamic to the negotiated capacity handshake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The FCSP running at 80 amps, will raise the by about 36%, if that gets you through a day of travel without stepping outside the TOU time frames all is good.

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
This happened to me once, when it’s was charging at all the wrong times.
Turns out it was my error. I had set the clock in the truck (Sync4) incorrectly, I had it set the clock at 8PM when it was actually 8AM, and then the charging got all screwed up because it‘s based off the car’s time.

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I don’t really care if I get to 80% or not I just don’t want to 80%. I only want to charge between 2 and 5 AM since it’s the coolest time of the day (it’s still 100’+ at 10 pm in Phoenix) it’s also the time that energy costs least.

The departure time was set to see if the behavior would change. But it still starts charging immediately. I’ll disable that again and see what happens.

Someone asked…I’m using the Ford charge station pro which has really no management capabilities whatsoever. If there is a way to not allow any charging between specific hours at this level I would be happy but does not seem to be an option.
Please read up on the discussion here: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/ah-summer-is-here-in-the-valley-of-the-sun.19700/

While you may only want to charge when it's cool, by setting charge windows at night, you may not be getting the active cooling your battery needs during the day. Even without departure times, there's times during the day where my truck sounds like the AC compressor is on full. If you cut it off at the charger, the truck won't be able to protect the battery.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

With your charger setup, the only way to restrict charging to those hours is a very manually intensive process. Each day, you'll need to do math. How much can I safely get in those 3 hours consistently?

30amp charger x 240 x 90% (10%) loss = 6.5kWh.

131kWh battery, so each hour you're getting 5%. That would be 15% in 3 hours. I'd go with 12% to start.

You get home. You're at say 32%. You have your hours set, and you set a one-time charge limit of 32+12= 44%. See if that works, AND see how much you actually get in 3 hours. Then, adjust.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
With your charger setup, the only way to restrict charging to those hours is a very manually intensive process. Each day, you'll need to do math. How much can I safely get in those 3 hours consistently?

30amp charger x 240 x 90% (10%) loss = 6.5kWh.

131kWh battery, so each hour you're getting 5%. That would be 15% in 3 hours. I'd go with 12% to start.

You get home. You're at say 32%. You have your hours set, and you set a one-time charge limit of 32+12= 44%. See if that works, AND see how much you actually get in 3 hours. Then, adjust.
Is it even possible to set a charge limit less than 50%?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles