Sponsored

Battery Module Failure - Do you use or had you used Pro Power just before getting the bad module code?

Have you used or recently used Pro Power when you had a battery module failure?

• Total voters

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Just a wild crazy thought I had in my head. Wondering if there is anything that might put stress on or change on the battery usage that might get the voltage out of whack and cause a need for a battery module replacement. Does voltage even work this way? I have no idea.

Did you or had you recently used Pro Power before you had the code and need for a battery module replacement?

Thank you for entertaining weird thoughts in my head.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Propower max is 9.6kw through an inverter system.

Highly unlikely using it would stress the battery more than just driving normally.
Thanks and I don't disagree. Its just that once you find yourself in the boat, you start to look at see what different ways the boat could have sprung a leak.

So - pro power taps into the inverters to pull power from the battery and it isn't much, not near as much as driving. But driving - the power doesn't get pulled through the same inverters correct? The motors use DC power not AC power which the inverters create for us.

Trying to understand is there an outside influence that could be causing the voltage to be off, or is it truly just a manufacturing defect or poor software managing the cells?

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
.......... Trophy husband
I may have used Pro Power at max output for more time than anyone else here. Wife has a Tesla Model Y bought in April 2023 and we did not install a charger for her until this year (tax tomfoolery, had already maxed out last year) thus charged her car *exclusively* from the 7200w 240v bed outlet nightly, or every other, for 7 or 8 months straight. I'd say ~150 charge cycles, maybe more at max power, 3600w per 'side'. Knock on wood, but zero electrical problems with the truck (2022 Lariat ER) the only failure point was the actual outlet itself, a small bit of plastic broke off and Ford replaced it under warranty (since it was they who told me to charge it that way when the FCSP would not charge the Tesla with any known adapter)... YMMV but in my experience, you can run ProPower HARD without issue.

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I may have used Pro Power at max output for more time than anyone else here. Wife has a Tesla Model Y bought in April 2023 and we did not install a charger for her until this year (tax tomfoolery, had already maxed out last year) thus charged her car *exclusively* from the 7200w 240v bed outlet nightly, or every other, for 7 or 8 months straight. I'd say ~150 charge cycles, maybe more at max power, 3600w per 'side'. Knock on wood, but zero electrical problems with the truck (2022 Lariat ER) the only failure point was the actual outlet itself, a small bit of plastic broke off and Ford replaced it under warranty (since it was they who told me to charge it that way when the FCSP would not charge the Tesla with any known adapter)... YMMV but in my experience, you can run ProPower HARD without issue.
Thanks and the few votes already likely indicate no connection. it was likely all about timing. I had the house plugged in for about 2 hours the afternoon before charging overnight and waking up to the messages to service engine.

Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Trying to understand is there an outside influence that could be causing the voltage to be off,
Firstly, everyone needs to understand what a bad module is.
The criteria for a madule to throw a code seems to be pretty conservative. The system detects an abnormal voltage in one of the cells that are measured. The modules are to be replaced before that bad module effects the rest of the cells/modules. Your bad cell voltage would be bad regardless of the load put on it. Someone on the forums shared a screenshot of the diagnostics showing the bad voltages that were triggering the replacment on their truck. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...high-voltage-battery-notice.16683/post-337627

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I'd be more interested in knowing the normal charging profiles of those that have had a module problem.

Another person on our campus had to lemon law his truck after the second module failure. I know he regularly charged to 90-100% with a high delta (let it run down to 20% before he charged it back up)

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
I'd be more interested in knowing the normal charging profiles of those that have had a module problem.

Another person on our campus had to lemon law his truck after the second module failure. I know he regularly charged to 90-100% with a high delta (let it run down to 20% before he charged it back up)
I charged to 90%, let it drop to below 50% before I'd plug it back in. Sometimes that would be daily, sometimes that would take a week due to work from home.

Also used pro power quite often to run a cooler, air compressor, power tools, charge a stranded EV.

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

I might get close to that profile. I just don't drive much and usually charge no more than once a week. My charge limit is set to 90%. I usually plug in when I'm down to about 30 - 35%.

On Friday afternoon I had the house plugged into the ProPower 30 amp plug for about 2 hours. I went through every breaker on my panel one at a time to see how much each appliance or circuit pulled in amps.

The truck was down to 49% that night so I charged to have some juice for the weekend. The truck made it to the 90% charge, but I got the error the next day when I unplugged to drive.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
So - pro power taps into the inverters to pull power from the battery and it isn't much, not near as much as driving. But driving - the power doesn't get pulled through the same inverters correct? The motors use DC power not AC power which the inverters create for us.

PPOB, has its own DC to AC inverters, to generate split phase 120/240 V AC

Each drive motor has a dedicated DC to AC three phase inverter build into the motor case.

Reactions: GDN

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder

Oh wow, yeah I always charge to 85-90%, but I've almost never let my battery dip below 40%. In fact, I think the lowest I've ever had it was 35% on my drive back from when I bought it in Ohio in 2022. 99.9% of my charging is between 60-90%.
Sponsored