• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How low do you let the battery go before charging?

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
contrary to a few earlier posts, charging IS detrimental to battery degradation. in fact that's what causes it. as this article explains Battery life is directly related to the amount AND number of times you charge. This is true of all rechargeable batteries be it EV, laptop, flashlight, a toy.

But don't be afraid to charge when you need it. I don't charge my phone until it gets to 20% unless my schedule requires it. Same will be true of my Lightning..... if I ever get it!
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
That article is 9 years old...

The number of charging CYCLES matters, not the number of times you charge.

If I charge from 80 to 90% every night, but you charge from 20 to 90% once a week, the impact on the battery is the same.

The difference is that I'm plugged in - like Ford recommends. If the battery needs to warm, or cool, it can use household current.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
And level 2 charging is a fairly low rate for such a large battery. Research by Gao et. al. “Lithium-Ion Battery Aging Mechanisms and Life Model under Different Charging Stresses,” shows the degradation per C rate (1 C = charging at a rate equal to the battery capacity).

NMC battery degrades significantly on C-rates higher than 1. Battery degrades by 10% and 23% at 1.2C and 1.5C respectively at the end of 300 cycles as against degradation by 7% at 1C.
Even at 80 amps, at home charging is less than 19.2kW / 143kWh = 0.13C
A 40 amp charger would be less than 0.07C
These rates are so low that the impact on the battery is very minimal. Would be like charging your cell phone at 300mA.

Another consideration from this is our DCFC limit of 150. Makes a little more sense, that's only 1.05C for the ER battery. Feeling pretty good about the longevity of this truck.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I always plug in, and charge to 90%, but when I am about to goto a road trip, I charge to ~98%. This way I can still have regerative braking when we leave our house, which is on top of a large hill.

I read somewhere that there is a buffer in the software/computer and 100 is really like 90 percent, the same with zero percent is really like 10 percent. So 100 percent change is supposed to still allow for 1 PD brake regen.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
I like to have about 100 miles of range whenever I get in my truck, so I charge to 90% when it gets below 100 miles on the Guess O Meter. Only charge to 100% before longer trips- so far only four times since September 2022.

Sponsored

CdnCGM23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Military
I have a slow charger at home, just a standard outlet. Usually I charge every night and it gets back whatever I use on my commute.

We just did a trip, though, and I’m holding around 35% and I’m not sure if that’s ok so I’m going to go find a faster charger today and fill up.
As you have an ER, did you not get the FCSP that comes comp with any ER order? You wouldn't need to find else where to pay to fast charge. I'm very have with my FCSP and charge at 80 amps in the off hrs.

CdnCGM23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Military
I keep my Lightning between 85% and 20%. I've pulled in a couple of times at 10% but don't like doing that. I charge to 100% on departure on a road trip by exception only (maybe once per month). Ford has 10% capacity built-in reserve so 100% on the meter is really only 90% of the battery capacity (hence why regenerative braking still works) so 90%-10% on the gauge is perfectly safe - 85%-20% is safe with a buffer on both ends.

An interesting situation on my wife's Mach-E - at one point they did an OTA update that seemed to top balance the batteries (fully charge all cells in the battery pack so they are balanced). I had the maximum charge capacity set to 85% but the car charged to 100%. It stayed at 100% for about 50km the next day. I haven't seen this on the Lightning but it wouldn't surprise me if they would do that occasionally to keep the cells conditioned and aligned in the pack. It is standard procedure for lithium-based packs.
LOL, I recently charged to 100% and yeah for 50ish Km it didn't budge.

thedadlegend

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smoked Quartz Lariat ER
As you have an ER, did you not get the FCSP that comes comp with any ER order? You wouldn't need to find else where to pay to fast charge. I'm very have with my FCSP and charge at 80 amps in the off hrs.
I did get it, however to install at my home would require a service upgrade and main panel replace and I’m not interested in that kind of investment in the current house.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Hello, I was just wondering. Not sure if I missed it somewhere but does Ford recommend how low you should let the battery go I before charging? I know you’re not supposed to go down below 10 if you can help it but just wondering for my daily commuting around town I can go over a week sometimes without charging but should I be charging it when it gets to 40% - 30%, or does it even matter I usually let it go down to about 35-40% and then I’ll charge it. Just wondering what most people do if they don’t need it charged the next day. Thanks
I got down to 3 or 5 miles left once last winter, and the truck barely crept into the charger.

Usually, try not to go less than a hundred miles, in case I have to go help out a college kiddo down the road on short notice.

On a road trip right now, we pick pitstops w chargers, and usually charge to 85%

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR
contrary to a few earlier posts, charging IS detrimental to battery degradation. in fact that's what causes it. as this article explains Battery life is directly related to the amount AND number of times you charge. This is true of all rechargeable batteries be it EV, laptop, flashlight, a toy.
Charging is different from plugging in. Because my normal commute is extremely short, I have max charging set to 50%, but I plug in every night. That way, if I decide that I need full battery for an unexpected long trip, I can simply "charge to 100%" using fordpass. Also, I haven't seen it on Lightning yet, but when it's super hot, my MME gave me messages recommending that I plug in to maintain battery health.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charging is different from plugging in. Because my normal commute is extremely short, I have max charging set to 50%, but I plug in every night. That way, if I decide that I need full battery for an unexpected long trip, I can simply "charge to 100%" using fordpass. Also, I haven't seen it on Lightning yet, but when it's super hot, my MME gave me messages recommending that I plug in to maintain battery health.
Your "logic" escapes me, but you do you.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your "logic" escapes me, but you do you.
Which part confuses you? Plugging in every night regardless of whether I need to charge or not? Or setting max charge to 50%, if I know that I will only drive 20 miles or less during the next day?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Which part confuses you? Plugging in every night regardless of whether I need to charge or not? Or setting max charge to 50%, if I know that I will only drive 20 miles or less during the next day?
The latter. Charge to 90%, drive to 80% (guess), charge to 90%.

Your way - charge to 50%, drive to 40%, charge to 50%.

What's the point?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The latter. Charge to 90%, drive to 80% (guess), charge to 90%.

Your way - charge to 50%, drive to 40%, charge to 50%.

What's the point?
If I end up not driving for an extended period, storing the battery at 50% is more favorable to the battery than higher state of charge.
Sponsored