• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What is your SOH? Milage? and how do you use your Battery?

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I keep hoping we get a Rivian-style software update that lets us see meaningful data. Ford seems much more risk-averse, though.

Ford F-150 Lightning What is your SOH? Milage?  and how do you use your Battery? IMG_0262
Sponsored

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
The thermal management for these batteries appears to be very solid. High mileage examples fair very well. I am not going to sweat it as a number that I look at every day. It's a nonlinear stat to obsess over.

https://insideevs.com/news/712417/ford-f150-lightning-high-mileage-battery-life/

In 22k miles, I've charged the truck to 100% a total of FOUR (4) times. I charge it to 90% max at home or road tripping. I only charge it when I need to... and sometimes, I'll go a week or two when I am at home and don't plug it in. I typically wait until it gets down to 30-40%. Only on road trips do I run it down to 20% land and it doesn't spend much time down there as I DC fast charge it up for the next leg.

I have no doubt that this battery is going to last me well past the warranty period. If it ever does need attention and I am not yet in the ground or on the mantel, the highly modular design makes repairs viable. Unlike some OEMs that are making epoxy bricks, the packs in our trucks were designed with repairability in mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I keep hoping we get a Rivian-style software update that lets us see meaningful data. Ford seems much more risk-averse, though.

IMG_0262.jpeg
People are already getting a lot of this info. Ford is just making it inconvenient by not making them available. They probably are thinking they limits and warning procedures set up and we don’t really need to worry about it.

I think a more informed driver can be an asset for Ford and it can be helpful to the driver 1000 mile away from home when a sensor goes bad. If nothing else, It is like a video game that helps owner enjoy their toy a little more. They probably think of us more as a liability if we see too much.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
People are already getting a lot of this info. Ford is just making it inconvenient by not making them available. They probably are thinking they limits and warning procedures set up and we don’t really need to worry about it.

I think a more informed driver can be an asset for Ford and it can be helpful to the driver 1000 mile away from home when a sensor goes bad. If nothing else, It is like a video game that helps owner enjoy their toy a little more. They probably think of us more as a liability if we see too much.
The inability of customers to understand the guess-o-meter are already a headache for Ford's customer support. The average owner is not wrapping their head around state of health.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The inability of customers to understand the guess-o-meter are already a headache for Ford's customer support. The average owner is not wrapping their head around state of health.
Not sure if the average truck driver is the average owner. Besides if Ford has 70% of something as a limit of warranty. They should tell owner where they are at. Not giving charging info at DCFC station is just a bit bellow the par.

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Just over 11,000 miles and still at 100% SOH. I charge to 80% everyday and to 100% for road trips (Probably 12-15 times) and DC charge on trips.

Edit: I drive 2 pedal in Sport mode. Did a lot of launches early on but I’ve gotten used to it so I’m driving normally again even though I’m not afraid to use it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Please share how often you floor it as well. Just so we have data point in case fast discharge has an impact. Also if you drive in sport mode; higher regen is more like DCFC and with cold battery may have more of a negative impact.

Dukhudo

First Name
Duy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
96% - 1,700 Kms. Wondering if it’s the colder weather up here in Canada. If not, sucks to be me because my dealer won’t even look at it without a code showing in the app

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Recalling this from memory from checking a week ago, so none of these following parameters is exact, except for the SOH which I know precisely.

HVB Age: 19.45 months
HVB Voltage module variation: 0V
HVB SOC variation: 0.34%
HVB SOH: 100%

Mileage: 13,800

I do 99.9% of my charging at home with a 40A 240v Autel EVSE.

I always charge to between 85-90%.

I never let my battery drop below 40%.

Most charging is done between 60-90%.

I have only DC charged 19 times :
13 times at 50kW stations
6 times at or near max rate of 162kW
The total number could be higher as I technically bought the truck used in 2022 with 400 miles on it, but probably unlikely to get more than once.

Always parked in garage and is heated in winter to 55°F and generally unconditioned in summer.

Truck is used for general transportation and projects as I work from and spend most of my time at home.

I'm a very gentle driver generally speaking and rarely ever mash the gas pedal. I hate 1PD so I always drive two pedal, have since day one.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
96% - 1,700 Kms. Wondering if it’s the colder weather up here in Canada. If not, sucks to be me because my dealer won’t even look at it without a code showing in the app
That is surprising. For a 23 with that low mileage, it must have been sitting on dealer lot at high or low SOC for a while. Thanks for sharing. Those 100% SOH guys piss me off. Your post made it a little less sucky to be me.

Thank you.

Sponsored

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
That is surprising. For a 23 with that low mileage, it must have been sitting on dealer lot at high or low SOC for a while. Thanks for sharing. Those 100% SOH guys piss me off. Your post made it a little less sucky to be me.

Thank you.
Or the BMS is out of calibration because it hasn’t been fully charged/discharged in a long while.

My number went up, which means it’s not an absolute figure that can only go down.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Or the BMS is out of calibration because it hasn’t been fully charged/discharged in a long while.

My number went up, which means it’s not an absolute figure that can only go down.

How do you re calibrate? Go from 100 to 10? 100 to 0?

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
How do you re calibrate? Go from 100 to 10? 100 to 0?
In most EVs, it takes the BMS seeing under 10% and close to 100%. It can get a better handle on SoC and SoH by measuring how much current it takes to bring voltages up to the predetermined values. I regularly plumb the depths and upper limits of my battery, and it thinks it’s all there.

sysop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gas
2022 with 22k miles, 99.5 SOH. Charge to 90% everyday on L2. Probably dc charged 8 to 10 times.
Sponsored