• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best adapter for Tesla super charger

OP
OP

HWT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
I received my A2Z NACS to CCS1 Typhoon Plug and went to give it a try at a Tesla 250kW station. The only available charger available said 350kW on it. Before I plugged in, as I was reviewing the A2Z manual it said CAUTION: The NACS to CCS1 Adapter is exclusively engineered for charging Tesla vehicles. Please refrain from utilizing it for any other purpose, vehicle or object.

Anyway, I tried it but it did not work. I did the plug in the recommended order and tried it multiple times. I even tried using the Tesla App. The station said 2D on it, but not sure what that meant other than for ID purposes. As I said it was a 350kW station.

Not sure what I did incorrectly. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I don’t think any Tesla Superchargers are rated at 350 kW. Was the post open in the middle where the cable hangs or was it completely closed with the cable coming out of the side? The fact it was labeled 2D indicates it is a V3 site but it could have V4 dispensers. Once Tesla rolls out the V4 cabinets there will be 350 kW sites but I don’t think they have any in the US.

Your problem is likely caused by not seating and locking the Tesla connector into the adapter. First, make sure the latch on the bottom of the connector is fully unlocked and then plug the Tesla connector in. You will need to apply some force to be sure it is fully seated. Once you have the Tesla connector fully seated slide the lock to the locked position and plug into the truck. I can also take some force to seat it on the truck side. I failed on my first attempt yesterday and it was because the adapter was not completely unlocked when I started.

OP
OP

HWT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Thanks for your reply. The post was open and it definitely said 350 kW. I tried the connector eight different times, making sure each time the lock was pushed forward (towards the vehicle) before I plugged it in and then pulled back towards me once I plugged it in. Everything was seated well.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I received my A2Z NACS to CCS1 Typhoon Plug and went to give it a try at a Tesla 250kW station.
Which Tesla charging site in Mass?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:

SteuLight

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT 312A
In my experience, you have to activate the charger in the Tesla app (this is where you would input that it's charger 2D), and THEN plug in the charger to your Truck. When I've plugged it in first, I've always got the charge fault.

OP
OP

HWT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
When it first failed I tried to the Tesla app. However, I do think I plugged it in first. I cannot remember if I also tried it before plugging it in. I will call A2Z tomorrow to see if anything else is wrong, and if not, I will go back and try activating the Tesla app first. Thank you.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
When it first failed I tried to the Tesla app. However, I do think I plugged it in first. I cannot remember if I also tried it before plugging it in. I will call A2Z tomorrow to see if anything else is wrong, and if not, I will go back and try activating the Tesla app first. Thank you.
This station is coded as NACS adapter required, which means you should be able to activate with Blue Oval Charge P&C.

FLSpartan04

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning XLT ER
I just tested my adapter for the first time yesterday. I did plug in first and got a charge fault. Then I unplugged, started the session, and re-plugged, and it took right off. Other than that it went great, the tight fit others saw was not nearly as bad as stated. I mentioned in another thread that maybe they adjusted their tolerances and A2Z confirmed that they did. So it should not be as difficult to get the connector on and locked. So I’m guessing it may have just been a procedural thing. Also, just in case, try another stall. Tesla has good uptime, but who knows now with all the layoffs.

Sponsored

FLSpartan04

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning XLT ER
This station is coded as NACS adapter required, which means you should be able to activate with Blue Oval Charge P&C.
Depending on whether he got the Tesla update. I have not yet. I used the Tesla app.

OP
OP

HWT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
That is what I thought. I am set up on Blue Oval, which I assume would automatically charge my card. I used Ford Pass before I used the Tesla app. Is there some activation I need to do on Ford Pass before I plug in? I did not see an option to start the charge through an Ford Pass.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
That is what I thought. I am set up on Blue Oval, which I assume would automatically charge my card. I used Ford Pass before I used the Tesla app. Is there some activation I need to do on Ford Pass before I plug in? I did not see an option to start the charge through an Ford Pass.
It should be seamless, but the one time I had an error, I unplugged, then used the in truck Charge Assist application to locate and select/activate the terminal before plugging in.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
There is at least one site in NC that shows as available in the Tesla app that worked at one point and is now not working with adapters. It’s a brand new site that just came online last Thanksgiving. I hope we aren’t seeing a trend where the available sites will slowly start disappearing due to neglect.

Outer Banks Mall
5000 S Croatan Hwy, Nags Head, NC 27959, USA

https://www.plugshare.com/location/558862

Tazzy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Retired
If I read your initial post correctly you might have ordered the wrong adapter, sounds like you got the adapter for Tesla vehicles to charge at a ccs charger.
Sponsored