First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Anti-Matter Blue
Occupation
CTO
Sunday I made a round trip from South Georgia to Atlanta. Probably 8 hours including charging.

BlueCruise lost it's dang mind the entire trip.

Now let me preface by saying I realize this is a first world problem. I'm not looking for sympathy, but do want to vent just a little. I'm tech forward, and I expect an $80k+ truck to perform as it was sold. This time was a complete fail.

Overall the truck did great. I've made this trip probably 8 to 10 times since I've bought the truck back in 2022. Mileage was expected, charging did great, but...

BlueCruise would not engage hands-free even a single time. Not only that, but continuously the truck would "detect" the speed limit changed from 70 to 45, 30, 35, 5... all while driving down Interstate 75. It was all over the place and there was no rhyme or reason to the changes. Sometimes it would keep cruise at a cool 75 for 10 minutes, only to drop to 35. Next time it would cruise for less than 5 minutes, or 30 seconds. The "new" speed limit seemed random, though it did love some 35 mph. I ended up turning off speed sign recognition to stop that. I have never, ever had the truck perform like this, or rather NOT perform like this.

Turning the truck off didn't help. I contemplated pulling the negative from the 12v battery to see if it would make a difference, but I was frustrated and didn't have my tool bag with me.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? Again, I know I'm spoiled by the tech in this truck. Of the 45k miles I've probably been in full hands-free BlueCruise driving for 60%. My commute, though short, is directly down the Interstate. Same thing with trips. Just NOT this one. Today everything was back to normal. Ideas?
Sponsored

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Every once in a blue moon my blue cruise likes to call in sick. I could not get it for the life of me to engage the other day. I just stopped trying. I take comfort in knowing that it always works fine the next day after a long night of sleep.

umbrop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
nothing that extreme, but have noticed it not choosing to engage on the same 30 mile stretch of highway some days when other days it is fine.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have had both issues. The speed problems really reared the head in the construction on I10 by San Antonio. Some of it I think it's reading signs some of it makes me wonder if the GPS is off and the truck thinks it's on the feeder (hence no hands free) and tries to drive feeder speed limits? I know it also doesn't like to work when the suns in its 'eyes' too.

OP
OP
Citizen0

Citizen0

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
I have had both issues. The speed problems really reared the head in the construction on I10 by San Antonio. Some of it I think it's reading signs some of it makes me wonder if the GPS is off and the truck thinks it's on the feeder (hence no hands free) and tries to drive feeder speed limits? I know it also doesn't like to work when the suns in its 'eyes' too.
The GPS being off is a very interesting thought. Hmmm. I do wish there was more transparency into how the system actually works between cameras, GPS, and cellular signal strength (triangulation is usually far more accurate than consumer GPS).

The sun is understandable and acceptable. That’s a limitation of both biology and technology! 🤣

Sponsored

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Damn you know what, I found out why my truck was not following scheduled charge times. I plugged in my truck at home the other night and it started charging immediately to 100%. I didnt realize until I went to work and saw the dash pegged at 100%. I happen to look at the charge log and it says I charged about 300 feet away from my home location. This is perhaps why blue cruise didnt work for me either. Both happened to coincide at the same time, blue cruise not working and charging out of the scheduled window.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
One of the first things I did with my Lightning was turn off the speed sign recognition. It never worked on my 2021 ICE, and I can't see how they could have improved it.

No Oil HaHa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I also turned off the speed sign recognition as soon as I got the truck. It doesn’t work right in the wife’s Lincoln I definitely wouldn’t hold my breath with it working correctly in this truck.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I been using BC a lot lately driving to PA from NJ at least twice a week for a job. So far the speed limit recognition has been pretty good.

There is really one that I remember that it really screwed up and scared me… I was driving on some rural roads, and instead of 35 it picked up 85. I never had that issue again though.

OP
OP
Citizen0

Citizen0

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
I leave speed recognition on as it is convenient, but know for a fact it is NOT only camera based. There are two spots that have no posted speed limit signs and the truck consistently changes speeds, and in another instance (on the road to my home actually) it completely ignores the decrease from 55 to 45 despite there being a very clear sign.

As with everything automated it's important to remain aware and be ready to take manual control. Hopefully some of this will get sorted out as we get the newer version of BC. My husband's Mach E seems MUCH more stable than my Lightning and he's on a newer version of BC.

Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
GPS interference due to solar storms? I read recently of a farmer whose GPS-guided tractor was acting lost in his fields.

SC_Sparky

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Black
The BlueCruise thing that I can't figure out is the lane bouncing- I end up using just a one light hand to keep the steering wheel and just the vehicle from back and forth motion. My Bold EUV with Chevy's version never did that.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
My only issues have been with speed sign recognition - I turned it off. But BlueCruise has been rock solid for me - I do not get the ping pong issue - stays locked in lane. I am looking forward to 1.2 at some point soon though mainly for the "scotch factor" when the vehicles are next to you but also for the lane changes.

I do believe they have been updating the maps as there are areas where it always asked me to take control before that recently BlueCruise cruises right through so they are making constant improvements.

OP
OP
Citizen0

Citizen0

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
The BlueCruise thing that I can't figure out is the lane bouncing- I end up using just a one light hand to keep the steering wheel and just the vehicle from back and forth motion. My Bold EUV with Chevy's version never did that.
Mine was really stable in the lanes until a month or two ago. I’m not sure what changed. I’ve made sure all the cameras are clean and it varies between solid and bounce on random days.

Comparing it to the Mach E with the updated BC is night and day though. The ME is rock solid every time I’ve been in it. The signal to change lanes is surprisingly helpful and easy to adapt to. I genuinely miss it in the Lightning.

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
New to this, but my when my BC did not work I hit the adaptive cruise control button (left most on the steering wheel) off and on and it seemed to fix itself. Kind of scary though to trust flaky software. I think I stay more alert / nervous with it on. I have to admit though that it is fun to watch the truck drive itself and to watch the world. Yeah, I find myself looking around more. Just saw a squirrel!
Sponsored