• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can’t ’plug and charge’ @ Supercharger

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR 312A
So I’ve read a number of threads and can’t seem to find out what I’m missing here.

I have the OEM adapter and can charge successfully through FordPass and Tesla apps but when I attempt plug and charge, I get a charger fault notification on the truck screen. I’ve tried a couple different chargers at this location and get the same results. I have also gotten a Tesla supercharger update, but I’m not sure if there’s an additional update required for plug and charge? Thank you

Ford F-150 Lightning Can’t ’plug and charge’ @ Supercharger IMG_0341

Ford F-150 Lightning Can’t ’plug and charge’ @ Supercharger IMG_0342
Sponsored

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
So I’ve read a number of threads and can’t seem to find out what I’m missing here.

I have the OEM adapter and can charge successfully through FordPass and Tesla apps but when I attempt plug and charge, I get a charger fault notification on the truck screen. I’ve tried a couple different chargers at this location and get the same results. I have also gotten a Tesla supercharger update, but I’m not sure if there’s an additional update required for plug and charge? Thank you
I have the same experience (except I only have A2Z). I got the Supercharger update, and I can charge at available Superchargers with the app, but I don't have Charge Assist on the Sync screen and can't plug 'n' charge.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I haven't tried because if using plug and charge it will bill at Ford's rate. If using the app I get Tesla's member discount when signed up (if traveling).

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Ditto. Just use the Tesla app and you can charge for a discounted rate when you travel if you pay the monthly fee. You can pay for a month and then go back to the standard account which is no charge.

OP
OP
MBM

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ditto. Just use the Tesla app and you can charge for a discounted rate when you travel if you pay the monthly fee. You can pay for a month and then go back to the standard account which is no charge.
I agree that’s probably the best way to go about it, and I had even really considered it, just pay the monthly fee a couple times a year when I’m on a trip. Thanks

Sponsored
OP
OP
MBM

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the same experience (except I only have A2Z). I got the Supercharger update, and I can charge at available Superchargers with the app, but I don't have Charge Assist on the Sync screen and can't plug 'n' charge.
This is probably what I was missing, so no charge assist also means no plug and charge.

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
Dumb question: Do you have “Plug & Charge” turned on?
Yes, but per advice in a related post, I cancelled Blue Oval and then reactivated it. I will check next time I am near a Supercharger.

OP
OP
MBM

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dumb question: Do you have “Plug & Charge” turned on?
Not a dumb question at all! Yes, I have that enabled in the FordPass app

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Another dumb question:
Why would you want plug and charge enabled at all on a supercharger?
If I understand correctly, the last time I checked, the rate Ford charges is more than what Tesla charges. Has that changed?

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Another dumb question:
Why would you want plug and charge enabled at all on a supercharger?
If I understand correctly, the last time I checked, the rate Ford charges is more than what Tesla charges. Has that changed?
It's only cheaper if paying the monthly Tesla subscription and then yes, you need to use the Tesla app. I have 5 Supercharger sessions with P&C working no problem. In my case they were all brief charges and during different months so the savings would not have covered the monthly fee for my use case. Having P&C was nice.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I agree that’s probably the best way to go about it, and I had even really considered it, just pay the monthly fee a couple times a year when I’m on a trip. Thanks
I just did this for a trip. It's really easy to buy the subscription in the Tesla app and immediately cancel it. You'll be good for an entire month (from purchase date, not calendar month) and it won't auto renew.

The capacity of the ER battery is about the breakeven point for the subscription. So anything more than about 130kWh of juice and you're saving money. The subscription made Tesla charging cheaper than the other options I had along my route. And it's easy to activate charging using the Tesla app. Click the stall number, then charge, then plug in.

Joe Dablock

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
The very first time I used my A2Z adapter I kept getting faults (I don’t remember the messages) and after several attempts, I finally figured out that the problem was that the Tesla cable end was not fully locked into the adapter. The thumb latch on the adapter had to be fully locked. Once I figured that out, I have always had successful charges.
Sponsored