• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge Station Pro Output...AC or DC?

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
Is the Ford Charge Station Pro converting the power to DC or is it delivering it to the vehicle as AC?

It's relevant to me because I have an electric motorcycle that will DC fast charge, but only has a 3kw level 2 onboard charger for AC. I'd love to charge my motorcycle at the last minute at home via the charge station pro if it were to output DC.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Is the Ford Charge Station Pro converting the power to DC or is it delivering it to the vehicle as AC?

It's relevant to me because I have an electric motorcycle that will DC fast charge, but only has a 3kw level 2 onboard charger for AC. I'd love to charge my motorcycle at the last minute at home via the charge station pro if it were to output DC.
It is just A/C output. 240V at 80A.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Think J1772 = L2 AC voltage up to 240VAC

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
It is being described as only feeding AC to the vehicle, and has no AC to DC conversion built into it. However, the home integration system inverter that can be added is capable of converting AC to DC according to the specification, and the port that connects to the Charge Station Pro for home back-up access is bidirectional. So charging with DC does appear possible if incorporating the HIS inverter. It has not been advertised as such so it may have to be unlocked in software to enable, if ever permitted.

Does the motorcycle DC charge with CCS at public fast chargers? What kW speed?

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
No your Livewire well not charge any faster. Another cook up by Harley. You need a zero if you want to charge faster with 220 volts.

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
It is being described as only feeding AC to the vehicle, and has no AC to DC conversion built into it. However, the home integration system inverter that can be added is capable of converting AC to DC according to the specification, and the port that connects to the Charge Station Pro for home back-up access is bidirectional. So charging with DC does appear possible if incorporating the HIS inverter. It has not been advertised as such so it may have to be unlocked in software to enable, if ever permitted.

I have been in search of wiring details for a possible future Charge Station Pro/SunRun HIS connection and got nowhere getting any HIS-related install info with SunRun, so this afternoon I called the HIS manufacturer Delta directly…they were very helpful. The support person I talked to confirmed the need for two #8 conductors on the DC return from the EVSE (Charge Station Pro) to the BDI of the HIS…finally, an answer! The rep from Delta encouraged that self-installers and installing contractors contact them directly with any technical and/or installation questions.

From their BDI Technical Sheet:

Delta Electronics (Americas), Ltd.
46101 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538

Sales Email: [email protected]
Support Email: [email protected]
Sales Hotline: +1-877-440-5851 or +1-626-369-8021
Support Hotline: +1-877-442-4832
Support (Intl.): +1-626-369-8019
Monday to Friday from 6am to 6pm PST (apart from Holidays)

www.Delta-Americas.com

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
DC return that is.

Only a few DC home 240VAC systems on market currently. They'd be a better product if more people could actually use them. A SR F150L owner might wish to buy one if they use truck a lot and don't want all the Ford extras.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Yes. I’m wiring a separate copper AC circuit for 100A install of the Charge Station Pro to my existing 200A service panel…just trying to future-proof the install in the event I choose to install the HIS somewhere down the road…..

OP
OP
Skidrowe

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

That's interesting. It would still require the software to handshake and establish the charging session. Hopefully that's something that could be added in the future. Yes, it charges with CCS at public fast chargers. I've seen up to 23kW at 75 amps on a fast charger.

OP
OP
Skidrowe

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No your Livewire well not charge any faster. Another cook up by Harley. You need a zero if you want to charge faster with 220 volts.
I have an Energica Eva Ribelle. I had a zero with additional aftermarket chargers to where I could charge at up to 9.9 kW via two AC charge cables (3.3 and 6.6 kW).

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
That's interesting. It would still require the software to handshake and establish the charging session. Hopefully that's something that could be added in the future. Yes, it charges with CCS at public fast chargers. I've seen up to 23kW at 75 amps on a fast charger.
That's right. The inverter has a dedicated RS485 shown with the EVSE connection port, and has BLE bluetooth with "optional" wifi and ethernet for locsl communications. The Charge Station Pro is indicated to have wifi and "bluetooth" for communication - nothing on RS485 that I have seen. Hard to say if the EVSE was prepared for DC charging but it sure seems the inverter was prepared for it. However, I haven't heard that the optional wifi/ethernet/4G, 4kW/6kW/8kW variants, or Tigo/APS rapid shutdown transmitters for solar are offered for sale on the AEE site, so there must bigger plans from Delta for the inverter. Ford may have neutered the capability on the EVSE side - TBD.

d2blake

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 FX4
Occupation
Engineer/Contractor

No it is not possible. The HIS inverter takes the DC from the truck and outputs 240V to the house. It will not be possible with a software upgrade.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
No it is not possible. The HIS inverter takes the DC from the truck and outputs 240V to the house. It will not be possible with a software upgrade.
The HIS inverter EVSE DC port is bidirectional. It's plain as day on the BDI spec sheet.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
While the PRO CHARGER female plug end configuration is just like what you see the DC FAST CHARGERS use(CCS), it is NOT making use of the lower DC Pins, while charging at home.
The plug is configured this way, though, so that WHEN you ask for power to be supplied back to your HOME, the INVERTER mounted on the wall of your home can then take that DC output from the truck, thru those lower DC Pins, change it to AC 240v Power, and supply it back to your house's main panel.
You cannot do this with the Mobile 30amp Charger, or the 48amp Charger, since their plug end connector is the J1772 type, which does NOT make any connection to the lower DC pins of the truck's inlet/outlet. This is only a ONE WAY power supply.

This is why only the PRO CHARGER can provide for the 'automated' Whole House power scenario, versus simply using the existing 120v or 240v outlet(s) on the truck. The PRO CHARGER connection would be DC power output, but the 120v or 240v outlet(s) would already be AC power.
Sponsored