Sponsored

Charge Station Pro Output...AC or DC?

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
It's bidirectional in that it is AC 240V to the truck and DC 400V from the truck.
Have you even looked at the inverter spec or are you just repeating the standard operation as described by Ford to date? The HIS INVERTER EVSE DC PORT is bidirectional on the same DC wires independent of AC. That's all I'll say about that in this forum going forward.
Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
While the PRO CHARGER female plug end configuration is just like what you see the DC FAST CHARGERS use(CCS), it is NOT making use of the lower DC Pins, while charging at home.
The plug is configured this way, though, so that WHEN you ask for power to be supplied back to your HOME, the INVERTER mounted on the wall of your home can then take that DC output from the truck, thru those lower DC Pins, change it to AC 240v Power, and supply it back to your house's main panel.
You cannot do this with the Mobile 30amp Charger, or the 48amp Charger, since their plug end connector is the J1772 type, which does NOT make any connection to the lower DC pins of the truck's inlet/outlet. This is only a ONE WAY power supply.

This is why only the PRO CHARGER can provide for the 'automated' Whole House power scenario, versus simply using the existing 120v or 240v outlet(s) on the truck. The PRO CHARGER connection would be DC power output, but the 120v or 240v outlet(s) would already be AC power.
The equipment that makes AC for the home from truck DC is capable if making DC for the truck from home AC or other DC sources. It just needs to be enabled. Agreed that in standard day 1 Sunrun setup truck will only charge from AC and use DC to power home. However, just like future V2G activation has been hinted, there are more hardware capabilities than marketing is describing to you. Again, look at the Delta specs and consider what the diagrams mean.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The equipment that makes AC for the home from truck DC is capable if making DC for the truck from home AC or other DC sources.
This is interesting. Would the home inverter be more efficient than the on-board chargers? Or, is the real potential in delivering more than 19.2 kW DC directly to the HV battery with a capable inverter?

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
This is interesting. Would the home inverter be more efficient than the on-board chargers? Or, is the real potential in delivering more than 19.2 kW DC directly to the HV battery with a capable inverter?
The real vaule is in charging the truck directly off solar with no losses.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The real vaule is in charging the truck directly off solar with no losses.
While much better than going DC —> AC —> DC, there will still be losses in the DC —> DC converter.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
EVSE DC port is only rated 9.6kW so it won't deliver more than the AC connection of the CSP by itself. Theoretically one might the able to supply the truck with 9.6kWDC AND 19.2kWAC at the same time (CCS is Combined, AC and DC, Charger System) for 28.8kW but this is probably to much power if it is all coming from the utility panel. Maybe with enough intelligence one could charge from utility and solar at the same time to get up to this but I don't see more charging power as the earliest or best use case. I also don't know that this DC charging from grid AC would be more efficient than charging from grid AC through vehicle charger(s). I see more potential in:

1. Continuous charge/discharge flow for when not connected to grid for whatever reason. In other words using battery to form microgrid and be able to opportunity re-supply as home loads vary. Solar off grid cabin, extended power outage, etc.
2. More efficient collection of onsite solar energy with no conversion of charging energy to DC. There would be DC conversion but with similar HV DC voltages of solar and truck battery it should be very efficient. Could be a similar case for another DC generator like Generac's new DC generator if integration can exist.
3. Installing just one AC circuit to serve all of HIS system (whole home back-up with full 7.2kW to either 120V leg of 240V and 9.6kW total) AND charging up to 9.6kW if you can live with that cap. So no dedicated AC run to the CSP.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
While a part of this might be bi-directional there is no easy, cheap way to use it.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
I have an Energica Eva Ribelle. I had a zero with additional aftermarket chargers to where I could charge at up to 9.9 kW via two AC charge cables (3.3 and 6.6 kW).
I bet that's fun to ride !!!
https://www.energicamotor.com/en/models/energica-eva-ribelle/

To convince even the most dubious IC skeptics, we’ve now introduced a new EMCE motor and inverter – reducing weight further still while upping to peak 126 kW (169 Hp), with up to 198 km (123 miles) in Highway range, plus of course, DC Fast Charging. EMCE is standard for both versions of the EVA Ribelle.
How I would configure an RS (this is why I need 200A in my Garage (Bike SHOP) LOL
Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Station Pro Output...AC or DC? 1652630191089

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skidrowe

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot