• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging in the Delmarva (DE, MD & VA) Peninsula

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR, 1999 Corvette Roadster
Occupation
Real Estate
I'll be traveling to the Delaware Beach resorts this summer from the Washington DC area without the Tesla adapter and can't seem to find more than two fast charging stations on the Delmarva Peninsula. This route and destinations are hugely popular almost year-round now, so I was more than a little surprised at how few fast charging stations are there.

Am I searching wrong or is it the charging desert it appears to be? Anyone have any recommendations or know of any good charging locations?
I have the Standard Range battery and have made only one short trip so far so I am a bit concerned. I'm a senior citizen and would rather not have to push the truck too far.
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I am not sure of your destination.(hopefully this is the correct area)? First picture is from ABRP(a better route planner) (green dots are chargers, and you can touch them on your phone to see what the speeds are ). Second picture is PlugShare app. you can also lookon your Ford navigation

View attachment 86333

View attachment 86334

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I'll be traveling to the Delaware Beach resorts this summer from the Washington DC area without the Tesla adapter and can't seem to find more than two fast charging stations on the Delmarva Peninsula. This route and destinations are hugely popular almost year-round now, so I was more than a little surprised at how few fast charging stations are there.

Am I searching wrong or is it the charging desert it appears to be? Anyone have any recommendations or know of any good charging locations?
I have the Standard Range battery and have made only one short trip so far so I am a bit concerned. I'm a senior citizen and would rather not have to push the truck too far.
Sorry, I screwed up. See above post.

DamSea

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Blink seems to show some chargers in the area, but does seem to be a desert for EVgo and Electrify America

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Edit: I missed the part about you not going south, but going to the Delaware beaches, still Easton is the best bet.

It's a desert and so is Hampton Roads (VB/Norfolk) south of Hampton and Newport News. Your best bet is to charge at the Royal Farms Tesla Magic Dock in Easton, MD. It's the southernmost real charger with a CCS plug you'll get on the Eastern Shore.

Royal Farms
7655 Ocean Gateway
Easton, MD 21601

Magic Dock Tesla (it's the only one between Philly and Columbia, SC):
https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=41.95745330631137,-68.2118915546875,33.94108767929671,-81.2197040546875&zoom=8&filters=party&location=eastonmdsupercharger

The Exmore Tesla Supercharger accepts Fords with adapters. There are no other high speed chargers until you get south of the CBBT. Then, with no Tesla adapter, they are all bad, slow EVgo city chargers. Don't believe the 200kW ones at Wawa on Military Highway. They're the best choices when they work, but still not very fast. I'd try to get an adapter if you can find one. Good Luck!

Tesla Superchargers open to Fords with adapters:

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=41.95745330631137,-68.2118915546875,33.94108767929671,-81.2197040546875&zoom=8&filters=party,nacs

Last edited:

Sgt. Carter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER (511a) Star White
Thanks for your reply Chris.
I guess you know the links don't work?
I’m still waiting in my “official” Ford to Tesla adapter. So I purchased the A2Z adapter and have not had any problems when using it at Tesla Superchargers - especially on Virginia’s Northern Neck and down into the Tidewater area.

Last edited:

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I went last year to Rehoboth, from Pittsburgh. Luckily for me my VRBO host was OK with me charging. I only did twice. Once so I could take us and the in-laws to Ocean city for a day and once again for the way back home.

The only CCS chargers are 50kw ones at some dealers in the area. Really hoping I have my adapter by September when I go again.

At the time of my trip last year, the EA at the Queenstown outlets wasn't open yet. The blink or evgo not sure which, at that location, is never open, they always have a bolt and a leaf sitting at them all day every day. It wouldn't have mattered for the way down, because we skipped the bay bridge that trip due to a tropical storm hitting on our way down. This year Queenstown EA will likely be a stop.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Thanks for your reply Chris.
I guess you know the links don't work?
I guess I really screwed that up.
Sorry about that now the pictures are reversed. First one is PlugShare. The second one is ABRP.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging in the Delmarva (DE, MD & VA) Peninsula IMG_0918

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging in the Delmarva (DE, MD & VA) Peninsula IMG_0917

bananaslug79

First Name
Samas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sparky" 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Self employed
Yeah, Eff Delaware to the nth degree in general...for fast chargers you are pretty much SOL. The Delmarva peninsula is a massive charging desert that hasn't changed in two years...

We regularly vacation to the Eastern Shore and I have been shocked to find that in over a year it hasn't changed unlike other areas of the continental states we've traveled. Your best bet MAY be Royal Farms...they pretty much own the eastern shore and some of their stations have added chargers as well. Ymmv

Tesla has some stations but if that's not an option...good luck

Sponsored
OP
OP
OverExtendedAgain

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
I guess I really screwed that up.
Sorry about that now the pictures are reversed. First one is PlugShare. The second one is ABRP.

IMG_0918.png

IMG_0917.png
No worries, partner. I greatly appreciate your assistance. You got me pointed in the right direction. I dowloaded both apps as well as the Tesla, EA, Blink, EVgo, & EV Connect apps (had the Ford app of course).

This whole process of just finding a fast charger has turned into a freaking Snipe hunt. Shame on all the EV Charging vendors for their apparent lack of any "give a sh*t" whatsoever, not to mentions their poor maintenance and repair records. AND bad info about whether the chargers actually work or not.

The good news is that after several hours of downloading and searching thru every app I could find, and then confirming the info on all the stations by reading all the reviews and even calling some of the locations, I finally found some fast chargers.

Queenstown, MD on Kent Island at the "Outlets" (Rt 50 and 301) has 4 new 350 Kw EA chargers. There are also some other chargers there.

The Royal Farms in Easton, MD has at least one "Magic Dock" Tesla chargers and 7 or 8 regular Tesla chargers.

First State Chevy in Georgetown, MD has one 120 Kw "EVConnect" charger outside.

Ocean City, MD has two locations with Level 3 (fast) chagers. The 40th St location is in the municipal city parking lot by the Convention Center and has two level 3 chargers and some level 2 chargers (6 chargers total). The 100th St location has two Level 3 stations & some level 2 chargers (6 chargers total). Each charger has two plugs. All the OC chargers are owned by Delaware Electric.

Also, PlugShare reports four, EVsmart, 150 Kw chargers at the West Ocean City Park & Ride lot (on Rt 50) but someone who used it reported it to be only a 50 Kw charger. The city said they are level 2 chargers.

Cambridge, MD has two, 180 Kw Blink chargers at the Royal Farms.

Some of the apps did not show all these chargers. The OC chargers were absent from almost all the apps. However, they are listed on the OC website along with three other level 2 chargers (5 total locations). https://oceancitymd.gov/oc/electric-vehicle-charging-stations/

There may also be other locations. Chargers are being added more and more often these days.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
OP
OP
OverExtendedAgain

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
Yeah, Eff Delaware to the nth degree in general...for fast chargers you are pretty much SOL. The Delmarva peninsula is a massive charging desert that hasn't changed in two years...

We regularly vacation to the Eastern Shore and I have been shocked to find that in over a year it hasn't changed unlike other areas of the continental states we've traveled. Your best bet MAY be Royal Farms...they pretty much own the eastern shore and some of their stations have added chargers as well. Ymmv

Tesla has some stations but if that's not an option...good luck
Boy are you ever right about that!
I think things are finally getting a little better. See my reply to Scorpio3d for a list of fast chargers on the Delmarva Peninsula.
Safe travels and Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
OP
OP
OverExtendedAgain

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
I went last year to Rehoboth, from Pittsburgh. Luckily for me my VRBO host was OK with me charging. I only did twice. Once so I could take us and the in-laws to Ocean city for a day and once again for the way back home.

The only CCS chargers are 50kw ones at some dealers in the area. Really hoping I have my adapter by September when I go again.

At the time of my trip last year, the EA at the Queenstown outlets wasn't open yet. The blink or evgo not sure which, at that location, is never open, they always have a bolt and a leaf sitting at them all day every day. It wouldn't have mattered for the way down, because we skipped the bay bridge that trip due to a tropical storm hitting on our way down. This year Queenstown EA will likely be a stop.
Things may be getting better. I found 5 locations that now have CCS/SAE Level 3 chargers on the Delmarva Peninsula. See my reply to Scorpio3d.
I just hope they all work!

OP
OP
OverExtendedAgain

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
I’m still waiting in my “official” Ford to Tesla adapter. So I purchased the A2Z adapter and have not had any problems when using it at Tesla Superchargers - especially on Virginia’s Northern Neck and down into the Tidewater area.
I'm hoping my free Ford/Tesla adapter will arrive before I need to travel. It's due this month (July) but I have a bad feeling about that actually happening. Hate to buy one and then get home to find it was delivered while I was away.

OP
OP
OverExtendedAgain

OverExtendedAgain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
Edit: I missed the part about you not going south, but going to the Delaware beaches, still Easton is the best bet.

It's a desert and so is Hampton Roads (VB/Norfolk) south of Hampton and Newport News. Your best bet is to charge at the Royal Farms Tesla Magic Dock in Easton, MD. It's the southernmost real charger with a CCS plug you'll get on the Eastern Shore.

Royal Farms
7655 Ocean Gateway
Easton, MD 21601

Magic Dock Tesla (it's the only one between Philly and Columbia, SC):
https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=41.95745330631137,-68.2118915546875,33.94108767929671,-81.2197040546875&zoom=8&filters=party&location=eastonmdsupercharger

The Exmore Tesla Supercharger accepts Fords with adapters. There are no other high speed chargers until you get south of the CBBT. Then, with no Tesla adapter, they are all bad, slow EVgo city chargers. Don't believe the 200kW ones at Wawa on Military Highway. They're the best choices when they work, but still not very fast. I'd try to get an adapter if you can find one. Good Luck!

Tesla Superchargers open to Fords with adapters:

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=41.95745330631137,-68.2118915546875,33.94108767929671,-81.2197040546875&zoom=8&filters=party,nacs
Great info, thx Amps!
Sponsored