• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Conditional awards announced for Arizona ADOT Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Deployment Plan

Frank in AZ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT, 2017 F150 w/Truck Camper
Occupation
Retired
Conditional awards were announced for 18 of the sites identified in the 2022 ADOT EV Charging Infrastructure Deployment Plan to fill in gaps in the availability of EV fast charging stations along sections of interstate highways in Arizona, which include I-10, I-8, I-40, I-17 and I-19

See attached PDF file.
Sponsored

Attachments

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Can't ya just put a few solar panel on the truck out there in the sunny desert?? :)

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Conditional awards were announced for 18 of the sites identified in the 2022 ADOT EV Charging Infrastructure Deployment Plan to fill in gaps in the availability of EV fast charging stations along sections of interstate highways in Arizona, which include I-10, I-8, I-40, I-17 and I-19

See attached PDF file.
The Tesla locations are putting in mostly seven ports!
The other locations 4….
Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s great to have more charging available but I don’t understand why they are not putting in more ports at the other locations?? The $$ are higher for each non-Tesla location but they are providing less charging ports so what gives?

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
As a regular user of interstate 40, I’m pleased to see several of these additions, especially Holbrook and Seligman. That said, it’s interesting that not a single one of the sites will be supplied by Electrify America. Of course, EA already operates the worst single charging facility on Planet Earth at Quartzsite on I-10.

Sponsored

MyJoule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lightning Platinum
These chargers are being funded from the 2022 NEVI allocation and it says it will still be a year before some of them are up and running :(

https://azdot.gov/planning/transpor...-vehicle-program/2022-adot-ev-deployment-plan
It's worse than that the letter says this "Construction is expected to take a year to complete after final contracts have been signed, with some stations opening by late 2025." Which to me means the earliest any of them will be on line is late 2025.

I don't want to get political, but seems to me the whole thing is a cluster- they started the process to make these awards in 2022. I think Tesla can build a station in about 3 months and for about 1/2 what the others do it for. They probably should have been awarded all of the stations, Just require them to have Magic Docks. There is also a requirement they have credit card readers on the stalls-and some sort of display. That is a waste of time and money. Let the software on the back end handle the billing, . much more secure and more importantly more reliable. I've seen numerous EA stations have non-functioning card readers. (Let alone non-functional cabinets) And any vehicle that can travel far enough to need and or use one of these stations has a built in display that can show all the necessary information.

It's a shame the best and lowest cost solution hasn't been adopted by the government. I guess I expect too much

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
As a regular user of interstate 40, I’m pleased to see several of these additions, especially Holbrook and Seligman. That said, it’s interesting that not a single one of the sites will be supplied by Electrify America. Of course, EA already operates the worst single charging facility on Planet Earth at Quartzsite on I-10.
Because.... EA is not allowed to bid on NEVI sites. Others can bid, using EA chargers.

It's worse than that the letter says this "Construction is expected to take a year to complete after final contracts have been signed, with some stations opening by late 2025." Which to me means the earliest any of them will be on line is late 2025.

I don't want to get political, but seems to me the whole thing is a cluster- they started the process to make these awards in 2022. I think Tesla can build a station in about 3 months and for about 1/2 what the others do it for. They probably should have been awarded all of the stations, Just require them to have Magic Docks. There is also a requirement they have credit card readers on the stalls-and some sort of display. That is a waste of time and money. Let the software on the back end handle the billing, . much more secure and more importantly more reliable. I've seen numerous EA stations have non-functioning card readers. (Let alone non-functional cabinets) And any vehicle that can travel far enough to need and or use one of these stations has a built in display that can show all the necessary information.

It's a shame the best and lowest cost solution hasn't been adopted by the government. I guess I expect too much
If you want to learn more about the process, you would better understand why it takes time. You may be comfortable using an app for everything, others are not. A Magic Dock location can of course be eligible.

And your vehicle's display does not display the necessary info.

The NEVI requirements were created with lots of info, including from the public. YOU could have provided input. Instead, criticize down the road?

Tesla has the ability to bid on every location.

MyJoule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lightning Platinum
Because.... EA is not allowed to bid on NEVI sites. Others can bid, using EA chargers.

If you want to learn more about the process, you would better understand why it takes time. You may be comfortable using an app for everything, others are not. A Magic Dock location can of course be eligible.

And your vehicle's display does not display the necessary info.

The NEVI requirements were created with lots of info, including from the public. YOU could have provided input. Instead, criticize down the road?

Tesla has the ability to bid on every location.
I'm not going to argue, we each have our own opinions. But for what it's worth:

1. What ever the display needs to have, could easily be added if it's missing. This has been proven but unless you own a vehicle that has frequent OTA updates you might not know that. (Ford does occasional OTA updates and has added some capabilities but Tesla has actually made it part of their DNA)

2. I am quite familiar with the bidding process. and the public comment process. That's part of the problem. Let the market dictate and have the government get out of the way. Adoption of EVs was doing just fine but now it's become political so many will not adopt just because of politicss

3. If you aren't comfortable using an app on a smart phone, you probably aren't too comfortable driving an EV.

Sorry I replied to the first posting I won't reply anymore.

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
When I first read your comment, I thought, well that might be possible given the constraints of the partial consent decree that EA operates under. But as someone who has testified at multiple CARB hearings about EA's operational performance, or complete lack of, I could swear I remember the EA CEO talking about using NEVI money for charging sites.

So I did some research on the topic. It turns out that EA received funds for four NEVI projects in 2023 (one in Colorado and three in Pennsylvania). So far in 2024, it has received NEVI awards for six projects - one in PA, four in CO, and one in VA. My source for this is OHM Analytics, a research firm that tracks the EV marketplace.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ

See attached PDF file.
Hell. Yes.
Corde's Junction and Camp Verde are total wins to make the I-17 traversable even for low range EVs in bad conditions. This is fantastic news.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
When I first read your comment, I thought, well that might be possible given the constraints of the partial consent decree that EA operates under. But as someone who has testified at multiple CARB hearings about EA's operational performance, or complete lack of, I could swear I remember the EA CEO talking about using NEVI money for charging sites.

So I did some research on the topic. It turns out that EA received funds for four NEVI projects in 2023 (one in Colorado and three in Pennsylvania). So far in 2024, it has received NEVI awards for six projects - one in PA, four in CO, and one in VA. My source for this is OHM Analytics, a research firm that tracks the EV marketplace.
Did you actually see the source data, or just the references to it on other sites? I wonder if these were partners with Electrify America supplying equipment.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
There is also a requirement they have credit card readers on the stalls-and some sort of display. That is a waste of time and money. Let the software on the back end handle the billing, . much more secure and more importantly more reliable. I've seen numerous EA stations have non-functioning card readers. (Let alone non-functional cabinets) And any vehicle that can travel far enough to need and or use one of these stations has a built in display that can show all the necessary information.
Absolutely not! Remember, the requirement for card readers is for ANY charger, not just tesla. And in absolutely no way should we require every consumer and every company to interface with apps, accounts, credentials, logins, etc. The data security standpoint alone makes that a huge issue. You would need logging credentials, personal info, and credit card info for each consumer handled by every single company that installs a charger, and you KNOW not all of them would institute the best security practices.

I do not believe that the connector for the station can handle transmitting data to the car in that manner. The display is there to allow consumers to start and stop the process, initiate billing, confirm details, etc, not just charging info.
Sponsored