• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
It was mentioned in another thread, but I wanted to share my test. If you didn't know, Summer decided it wanted round two in Phoenix, so despite some cool days a few weeks ago, the last few days have been in the 110s, so I was able to test it out.

If my battery temp is over the mid-line, driving in normal or sport will take hours, if ever, to cool it down. Switching into tow/haul will get it back to mid-line in about 15 minutes.

I wish I knew this all summer since we know heat is slowly killing our batteries and I intend to make this last as long as possible. Oh well, for next year I guess. When I got in the truck to run some errands, my battery temp was as high as you would expect when your car registers 133F on the thermometer when you first get in, but it was back to the middle in 12 minutes.

Ford F-150 Lightning Cool down high battery temperature faster using Tow/Haul mode 🌡️ IMG_1859
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Glad you had an opportunity to test the theory, we had a our last blast of warm weather, only 83°

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
The GOM cuts your range in half when you push tow haul. Then takes a day or so to get back normal in my experience.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The GOM cuts your range in half when you push tow haul. Then takes a day or so to get back normal in my experience.
Only if you have selected a trailer profile in my testing, you can be in tow/haul w/o a trailer, ie. hauling a heavy load in the bed of the truck.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
The first and only time I used Tow Haul was pulling my BBQ trailer and I made a profile for it. Are you saying if I don't select that profile and just press tow haul the GOM will not recalculate the miles?

Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
It was mentioned in another thread, but I wanted to share my test. If you didn't know, Summer decided it wanted round two in Phoenix, so despite some cool days a few weeks ago, the last few days have been in the 110s, so I was able to test it out.

If my battery temp is over the mid-line, driving in normal or sport will take hours, if ever, to cool it down. Switching into tow/haul will get it back to mid-line in about 15 minutes.

I wish I knew this all summer since we know heat is slowly killing our batteries and I intend to make this last as long as possible. Oh well, for next year I guess. When I got in the truck to run some errands, my battery temp was as high as you would expect when your car registers 133F on the thermometer when you first get in, but it was back to the middle in 12 minutes.

IMG_1859.jpeg
Do you have Max trailer tow package?
I have it, but was wondering if it would work for all vehicles?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The first and only time I used Tow Haul was pulling my BBQ trailer and I made a profile for it. Are you saying if I don't select that profile and just press tow haul the GOM will not recalculate the miles?
If you don't have a trailer plugged in, that would be the case.

If you plug in a trailer, the truck will detect it and will prompt you to select a generic or customized trailer profile, then you'd see a change in the GOM to appx half normal range +/- for custom profiles.

Point of this discussion is not about trailers, but gaining an indirect method to prompt battery cooling to prepare for a upcoming charging session down the road.
Sponsored