• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cybertruck vs Lightning

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Teslas drivers crash the most of any brand. Nothing to do with self driving. My theory is that its the aggressive driving and the inconsistent regen braking.
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I got to touch one today. I was polite. The owner is a friend of my neighbor and was very kind to walk around it with me and let me poke and prod. I came away pretty underwhelmed for the price. $50k vehicle I’d be a lot more accepting of the shortcomings. He thought his was a reject due to cyberbeast availability and his order to pickup being so short. There were certainly some panel misalignments that he pointed out and assumed those were probably the reason for it being a reject. The frunk was quite small. I’m not a fan of frameless windows either, but that’s a personal preference. It just didn’t seem like it could do anything my old ranger couldn’t do except for the payload and being electric. I couldn’t believe how small the rear windows actually were. I don’t want an air suspension but it does go up quite a bit. There were a lot of scratches in the steel which I found odd but certainly wasn’t going to point out. But the kicker for me was when I went to check the suspension components in the front, I noticed some sort of crack in the front casting. I confirmed it was real with my finger and I politely pointed it out and he took an image to show to the service center. I came away thankful I got a chance to poke around at one without having to buy it. I’m even more convinced it would have been the wrong choice for me. Still love the truck, though!
From what I have read and from some Tesla owners I have talked to over the years (I have not really talked to many recently) back when I was trying to learn about EV’s and Teslas, they have always kind of had a problem with fit and finish in their production process. Could be early production of new vehicles? This has not been any sort of study or anything close but just observations I have made based on my personal experiences. Maybe they just are rushing to get them out because they were so far behind?? Keep the shareholders happy?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I got to touch one today. I was polite. The owner is a friend of my neighbor and was very kind to walk around it with me and let me poke and prod. I came away pretty underwhelmed for the price. $50k vehicle I’d be a lot more accepting of the shortcomings. He thought his was a reject due to cyberbeast availability and his order to pickup being so short. There were certainly some panel misalignments that he pointed out and assumed those were probably the reason for it being a reject. The frunk was quite small. I’m not a fan of frameless windows either, but that’s a personal preference. It just didn’t seem like it could do anything my old ranger couldn’t do except for the payload and being electric. I couldn’t believe how small the rear windows actually were. I don’t want an air suspension but it does go up quite a bit. There were a lot of scratches in the steel which I found odd but certainly wasn’t going to point out. But the kicker for me was when I went to check the suspension components in the front, I noticed some sort of crack in the front casting. I confirmed it was real with my finger and I politely pointed it out and he took an image to show to the service center. I came away thankful I got a chance to poke around at one without having to buy it. I’m even more convinced it would have been the wrong choice for me. Still love the truck, though!
Hopefully the Service Center will take care of it and not claim owner abuse.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
From what I have read and from some Tesla owners I have talked to over the years (I have not really talked to many recently) back when I was trying to learn about EV’s and Teslas, they have always kind of had a problem with fit and finish in their production process. Could be early production of new vehicles? This has not been any sort of study or anything close but just observations I have made based on my personal experiences. Maybe they just are rushing to get them out because they were so far behind?? Keep the shareholders happy?
I’m not sure. It’s definitely difficult to get it all to line up with the way they chose to build it. I work in aerospace and am quite aware of the difficulties of tolerance build up and stacking etc etc. for something that relies on straight lines where you don’t have the benefit of a curve to hide that stack up, they sure made their lives hard. If they really tighten up their tolerances for the frame and panels they might have a chance, but I predict that misalignments are going to be a permanent fixture of the CT.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
Hopefully the Service Center will take care of it and not claim owner abuse.
It was in the middle of a web in the center of the right forward casting “beam” so not somewhere I would expect a stress concentration. It was just shitty QC and casting. I told him that it probably wasn’t anything to worry about, but his attitude was “if there’s one right there, how many others are there?” Which is spot on. I doubt he’ll ever have an issue since he’ll have it on road its whole life, but who knows how prevalent they are in these castings.
Sponsored