• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Day one Lightning owner climate/app/locking questions

OP
OP

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
No, that's not it. I suggest watching a video on what BlueCruise is.

Also, BlueCruise is looking for lines on either side of the lane. If either side has no lines, you will see the hands-free mode immediately turn off.

My screens aren’t exactly like that. The car can go from blue wheel, to normal, to red warning back to blue wheel all in the same BC session on a lane marked highway. It does not change lanes with the blinker so I assume I have 1.1, some trucks have 1.2 and lane change on signal. How do I check my version number?
Ford F-150 Lightning Day one Lightning owner climate/app/locking questions IMG_3416
Ford F-150 Lightning Day one Lightning owner climate/app/locking questions IMG_3417
Ford F-150 Lightning Day one Lightning owner climate/app/locking questions IMG_3418
Ford F-150 Lightning Day one Lightning owner climate/app/locking questions IMG_3419

Ford F-150 Lightning Day one Lightning owner climate/app/locking questions IMG_3420
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Most of your pictures aren't showing anything.

You have to be on a DIVIDED HIGHWAY. Here is a map link so you can find out if your road is BC enabled. https://www.ford.com/technology/bluecruise/

If it's not hands-free, you have to have your hands on the steering wheel.

Edit - now I see the handsfree symbol. That will go away when you approach a curve where it can't navigate at speed, when the lines go away, when you exceed 80mph. That's how it's designed to work.

When it upgrades to 1.3 next year, it will work better.

OP
OP

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP

You have to be on a DIVIDED HIGHWAY. Here is a map link so you can find out if your road is BC enabled. https://www.ford.com/technology/bluecruise/

They should show now. They were duplicating and I had to go back and edit. I’m on IH 10 in San Antonio.

OP
OP

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP

Edit - now I see the handsfree symbol. That will go away when you approach a curve where it can't navigate at speed, when the lines go away, when you exceed 80mph. That's how it's designed to work.

When it upgrades to 1.3 next year, it will work better.
When the blue wheel is away is the resistance significantly reduced? Does the blue wheel go away when I hit the turn signal or was that coincidence?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When the blue wheel is away is the resistance significantly reduced? Does the blue wheel go away when I hit the turn signal or was that coincidence?
It turns off the instant you activate the blinker, yes. 1.3 will stay on.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't think you're really understanding the features.

There are two modes of BlueCruise, hands on and hands free. The blue wheel clearly shows you the words "Hands Free", meaning it is steering, not you. Therefore, you shouldn't be testing the resistance, because you should be letting go of the wheel. Yes, if you try to steer there is resistance, but you can steer.

In hands on mode, it will keep the vehicle between the lines. If you steer over the line, it will warn you. There are various settings that you should look at under headings like Lane Centering. You can make it steer back, you can make it warn harder. There is also a gap setting for vehicles in front of you.

You will also find that even in local driving, it will keep you in the lane. If you stray onto the line, it's going to warn you.

Much of this is explained in the manual, on the center screen. It's also in FordPass, and downloadable in PDF format from owner.ford.com

OP
OP

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
In hands on mode, it will keep the vehicle between the lines. If you steer over the line, it will warn you. There are various settings that you should look at under headings like Lane Centering. You can make it steer back, you can make it warn harder. There is also a gap setting for vehicles in front of you.
This is the mode I am finding the most confusing. It switched to this mode on it’s own (when there is curve or the lines are not as good) and it’s steering “ability” seems not to have changed, but the resistance feels less and it will go back to hands free without my input.

For comparison Tesla autopilot is either off or on. There is no helping it or directing it with the wheel and it won’t change to TACC and then back to AP. I’m not asking BC to be the same just understand the different logic and rules.

Thank you for helping me out!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is the mode I am finding the most confusing. It switched to this mode on it’s own (when there is curve or the lines are not as good) and it’s steering “ability” seems not to have changed, but the resistance feels less and it will go back to hands free without my input.

For comparison Tesla autopilot is either off or on. There is no helping it or directing it with the wheel and it won’t change to TACC and then back to AP. I’m not asking BC to be the same just understand the different logic and rules.

Thank you for helping me out!
Yes, it will go from hands free to hands on as you approach a curve, then switch back to hands free after the curve.

1.3 will remove some of that, and slow for the curve (or so people say), and then you can gently apply accelerator to go faster if you want.

Log into Ford.com, scroll down, and you should see links when you click to a page like this - https://www.ford.com/support/category/sync-and-technology/co-pilot-360/

OP
OP

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
A few more:
1. Does the AC recirc turn off at the end of every drive? Can that not be set to default recirc on?
2. Pro power. Does the truck have to be fully on? Is there a mode that turns off all the other stuff so you don’t accidentally leave the heat and all the seat warmers on?
3. Do you leave the auto present on? I always have my phone on me so every time I walk by the truck I get the light and step board show even when I’m 25 ft away.
4. Is there a save button that I am missing? I have changed the automatic updates to ON three different times with the schedule as any day at 1:00 am. Every time I check back it set to Off.

Last edited:

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
1. No dog mode. No way to get that information from the app. Only way to keep temp is to have the truck running. You would have to deactivate the power down timer and lock the door with the truck running.
How do you deactivate the power down timer? My truck will always shut down after 15 mins being parked.

Sponsored

sdingeldein

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Physician
I don't think you're really understanding the features.

There are two modes of BlueCruise, hands on and hands free. The blue wheel clearly shows you the words "Hands Free", meaning it is steering, not you. Therefore, you shouldn't be testing the resistance, because you should be letting go of the wheel. Yes, if you try to steer there is resistance, but you can steer.

You will also find that even in local driving, it will keep you in the lane. If you stray onto the line, it's going to warn you.

Much of this is explained in the manual, on the center screen. It's also in FordPass, and downloadable in PDF format from owner.ford.com
Your posts on this thread have been so helpful as I've had my truck for 3 days and am learning all about it.

Thank you for taking the time to answer the questions that have been posed.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
A few more:
1. Does the AC recirc turn off at the end of every drive? Can that not be set to default recirc on?
2. Pro power. Does the truck have to be fully on? Is there a mode that turns off all the other stuff so you don’t accidentally leave the heat and all the seat warmers on?
3. Do you leave the auto present on? I always have my phone on me so every time I walk by the truck I get the light and step board show even when I’m 25 ft away.
4. Is there a save button that I am missing? I have changed the automatic updates to ON three different times with the schedule as any day at 1:00 am. Every time I check back it set to Off.
1. Yes, it turns off. It will also turn off automatically while driving if it senses the moisture content getting too high to prevent fogging.
2. Truck has to be on. It's one of the more annoying lack of features, imo, that there's no way to turn on Pro Power without turning everything on. Would love for Ford to add a "camp mode" or the like.
3. I have mine on. Others off. User case.
4. This should stay on. Weird.

OP
OP

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
1. Yes, it turns off. It will also turn off automatically while driving if it senses the moisture content getting too high to prevent fogging.
2. Truck has to be on. It's one of the more annoying lack of features, imo, that there's no way to turn on Pro Power without turning everything on. Would love for Ford to add a "camp mode" or the like.
1. This is the most annoying “feature”. The cab is constantly getting filled with exhaust fumes no matter what the climate setting. I thought I had tricked it by setting the set-point way below the outside so it would not try to let in outside air because it would have to heat that air, but it eventually did.
4. I did a reset (hold down L&R search buttons) and I think that fixed it. It is saved now.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1. This is the most annoying “feature”. The cab is constantly getting filled with exhaust fumes no matter what the climate setting. I thought I had tricked it by setting the set-point way below the outside so it would not try to let in outside air because it would have to heat that air, but it eventually did.
4. I did a reset (hold down L&R search buttons) and I think that fixed it. It is saved now.

Set it on vent instead of auto, then turn on recirc...
Sponsored