• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Diamondback SE/HD owners: any noise or range impact?

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23.5 MachE GTPE & '24 Lightning Lariat
Hi. I know that it is probably minimal, but given the cost of the cover, I thought it made sense for me to ask. For those of you that have the SE version, or even the HD version with 12 cleats, is there any impact to driving range? I have searched the forum, but few threads answer that question.

The other question I have is whether or not the cover and or the cleats make the drive noisier.

Thanks in advance for your answers .
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I have the HD.

First, no one could tell you that it impacted range (due to weight), because it would be such a small hit that you'd need a scientific test to measure it. Yes, 120 pounds impacts range. Barely.

Covers don't make vehicles more fuel efficient, lots of tests show that.

There is no noise.

OP
OP

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23.5 MachE GTPE & '24 Lightning Lariat
Thanks. I was thinking about range in terms of airflow rather than weight. Does that change the analysis?

then there is the question of any noise, which I know is subjective, but I am curious to hear others experience. Both in terms of noise due to airflow (like around the cleats) or noise from the cover against truck itself.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
FWIW, i do believe that the airflow with a cover on does impact range at 75mph by a few miles on a full charge. 65 and below seems to be dead even. Take all of this with a grain of salt because it's so minute it could be other factors causing noise in the experiment. I'm sure there's a specific speed where the airflow makes a difference, but I don't have anything sensitive enough to measure it assuredly. Same with the minute amount of weight it adds. The onboard instrumentation that is available to the driver will not give you specific enough details to measure it, so throw that cover on if that's what you want.

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I have the HD.

First, no one could tell you that it impacted range (due to weight), because it would be such a small hit that you'd need a scientific test to measure it. Yes, 120 pounds impacts range. Barely.

Covers don't make vehicles more fuel efficient, lots of tests show that.

There is no noise.
X2. I have the SE and I love it. So does everyone else that sees it. Any range impact indistinguishable from the normal minimal variations in performance from one drove to another. No noise.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
One tip.

At Black Friday, for a week or two, Diamondback will offer a $200 discount on the HD. They've done it a few years in a row. I was ready to buy maybe in early October, and waited to save $200.

dmcgrath949

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
I installed my SE that I originally bought for a 2011 F-150 and it works great. No range impacts and I have never noticed any noise. I have cleats on all 4 corners and 3 quick connect bicycle mounts. The cover fits just as easy to the 2023 Lightning as it did to my 2021 Lariat. I am getting ready to install rails to add ski racks to the cover as well
Sponsored