• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

External Battery to Charge LER Battery? Does it Exist?

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
I'm thinking out loud here, so it may not make sense. Here goes:

One of the reasons my LER may have to go is that I travel to areas with few charging options. These days when I go to a project I end up at either rural hotels, apartments, or Airbnb's. Plugs are rarely available. My question is whether there's some kind of possible external battery on a dolly type setup that can be charged from a wall outlet when I'm at work or sleeping; and then plugged in to the truck during down time; whether it be at my job site or at the whatever place I'm staying at. It's unlikely that I'd use more than 50% of the pack as the most I've normally used daily for work is 50% in the winter, that means about 65kw external battery.

I'm still waiting for my buy back replacement Powerboost, but I have the option to keep with cash. For better or worse, with the time I've been waiting I've had time to weigh my options.
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
If you are really that far out from infrastructure all the time then a bev is not for you.

Next option is a selectable current evse and many adapters to charge whenever you can. You can get about 1% per hour on 120v, much quicker with 240v.

OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
If you are really that far out from infrastructure all the time then a bev is not for you.

Next option is a selectable current evse and many adapters to charge whenever you can. You can get about 1% per hour on 120v, much quicker with 240v.
Yep, but on the other hand I was thinking this could help out people in apartments or unique situations so they don't have to rely on DC fast charging. Plug into your regular outlet during the day, then roll it out to your car when not in use.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yep, but on the other hand I was thinking this could help out people in apartments or unique situations so they don't have to rely on DC fast charging. Plug into your regular outlet during the day, then roll it out to your car when not in use.
It could, but your sizing is way to high.

1) A 65kWhr battery would be hundreds of pounds, possibly up to 1/2 ton with casing or support equipment.

2) Level 1 charging that you would get off a household outlet would only be ~1kW/hr so it would take multiple days to fill a battery that big.

More realistically this would be a 4 to 8kWhr battery that would charge in 4 to 8 hours - very similar to what is used for e-bikes and the like.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

Sponsored
OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Welp, based on weight, the idea is clearly out the window. Thanks for the insight.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
There are actually quite a few portable DCFC chargers available. All you have to do is strap one or more to your bed and you’re good to go. Personally I think you would be much better off doing a little planning and just using commercial DCFC chargers.

If you’re really that desperate you can usually find RV parks with 50 amp service. People have been driving EVs from the lower 48 to the northern tip of Alaska for years. If people can drive to Alaska in EVs then I can’t imagine any of your trips can’t be planned out.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
while, yes, you are 'thinking out loud', and we all have, there is little 'new' to the world and ideas surrounding EVs and Charging options: we have what we have because it works for the 'world' of EVs....little else does, or will, in the 'real world'.

RAM is coming out with their 'sudo' EV Truck, with a ENGINE Generator onboard, to solve your problem. Be prepared to pay MUCH MORE for it, and, remember, in any EV where you are then ALSO carrying around a heavy block of metal, called an 'engine', to help generator 'power'... you're automatically LOSING range each mile you drive, versus the typical EV.
You'll also now need to stop at GAS STATIONS, as well as CHARGERS... nope, not me.

If you want to carry around a large 240v Generator in the bed, yes, go ahead. You'll also be limiting your range, artificially, due to the MASSIVE extra weight. You'll also have to carry around GALLONS and GALLONS of, well, DIESEL fuel, too. Sounds fun : /

No, there's no 'simple' easy answer to your concern, other than CHARGING at home, or CHARGING at work, or DC Fast Charging when traveling beyond those two options.

Your truck's BATTERY is MASSIVE - there is no easy, simple, lightweight way to 'replace' that.

OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
There are actually quite a few portable DCFC chargers available. All you have to do is strap one or more to your bed and you’re good to go. Personally I think you would be much better off doing a little planning and just using commercial DCFC chargers.

If you’re really that desperate you can usually find RV parks with 50 amp service. People have been driving EVs from the lower 48 to the northern tip of Alaska for years. If people can drive to Alaska in EVs then I can’t imagine any of your trips can’t be planned out.
The trips can take a few months. I'd just rather not have to drive to a different city or back for a DC charge or pay for an RV spot to slow charge it when we have 6-7 day work weeks. On my last project I did a combo of DC and plugging into a diesel generator on site. However, the generator option isn't always available.

while, yes, you are 'thinking out loud', and we all have, there is little 'new' to the world and ideas surrounding EVs and Charging options: we have what we have because it works for the 'world' of EVs....little else does, or will, in the 'real world'.

RAM is coming out with their 'sudo' EV Truck, with a ENGINE Generator onboard, to solve your problem. Be prepared to pay MUCH MORE for it, and, remember, in any EV where you are then ALSO carrying around a heavy block of metal, called an 'engine', to help generator 'power'... you're automatically LOSING range each mile you drive, versus the typical EV.
You'll also now need to stop at GAS STATIONS, as well as CHARGERS... nope, not me.

If you want to carry around a large 240v Generator in the bed, yes, go ahead. You'll also be limiting your range, artificially, due to the MASSIVE extra weight. You'll also have to carry around GALLONS and GALLONS of, well, DIESEL fuel, too. Sounds fun : /

No, there's no 'simple' easy answer to your concern, other than CHARGING at home, or CHARGING at work, or DC Fast Charging when traveling beyond those two options.

Your truck's BATTERY is MASSIVE - there is no easy, simple, lightweight way to 'replace' that.
I've had a while to deal with and ponder those issues. I don't know why I thought I'd seen something about a portable charger of sorts somewhere. Anyway, as mentioned above my options have been charging off the site 35-50kw diesel generator when available, renting an RV spot somewhere and hanging out a few times week to get 6kwh, or driving to a nearby larger city once a week for DC. I know I can make it work with GM's hoss of a battery, but my LER is paid off and I'm hesitant to pay another 30k for an extra 100 miles of range. I'm not a fan of RAM's approach either. It's the worst of both worlds. I'd hate to have that thing once the warranty period is over due to the complexities and sheer number of parts that can break on a hybrid like that.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
These days when I go to a project I end up at either rural hotels, apartments, or Airbnb's. Plugs are rarely available.
I really think you should consider staying at RV parks. RV parks are more and more becoming my overnight stay location of choice. Not only can you charge overnight off of a 50 amp service but the cost for an overnight stay beats the cost of staying at a hotel hands down plus there is more security than at a rest stop.

The back seat the Lightning can be turned into a pretty comfortable bed. Since the truck will be hooked up to electricity, you can use heating and air conditioning in the cabin all night. Typically I don’t shower at RV parks but many have showers.

Shower stalls at RV parks can get pretty weird. I can go a few days without a shower if I need to but if I feel I really need a shower I prefer truck stop shower stalls over RV shower stalls. Truck stop shower stalls typically have better security and are maintained better.

Love’s Travel Centers have started installing RV parks next to the truck stops, pretty convenient if you want to stay and charge overnight.

Sponsored
OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
I really think you should consider staying at RV parks. RV parks are more and more becoming my overnight stay location of choice. Not only can you charge overnight off of a 50 amp service but the cost for an overnight stay beats the cost of staying at a hotel hands down plus there is more security than at a rest stop.

The back seat the Lightning can be turned into a pretty comfortable bed. Since the truck will be hooked up to electricity, you can use heating and air conditioning in the cabin all night. Typically I don’t shower at RV parks but many have showers.

Shower stalls at RV parks can get pretty weird. I can go a few days without a shower if I need to but if I feel I really need a shower I prefer truck stop shower stalls over RV shower stalls. Truck stop shower stalls typically have better security and are maintained better.

Love’s Travel Centers have started installing RV parks next to the truck stops, pretty convenient if you want to stay and charge overnight.
I think you may be misreading my situation. I mobilize to construction projects and remain on-site until they are complete. It can be weeks, months, or less often over a year. There was a time where I had a travel trailer that I hooked up and moved with, my wife and kids even travelled with me until baby 3 showed up. After that, I sold my gear, 3/4 ton truck, etc. I honestly enjoy traveling lighter now, although I've considered going back just bc I have the EV now.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
VAF84 - could you sweet talk the construction manager into running a 240v line to the parking or lay down area for you? Build a 2x4 tripod with a dryer receptacle and you’ll be golden. Couple lunches would probably cover you electricity tab.

OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
VAF84 - could you sweet talk the construction manager into running a 240v line to the parking or lay down area for you? Build a 2x4 tripod with a dryer receptacle and you’ll be golden. Couple lunches would probably cover you electricity tab.
LOL, depends on the CM. That's the issue, there's always the uncertainty of what you'll have available on site. On the drilling project I was on, I was able to use a massive 50' , 50 amp extension cord to plug into the diesel generators powering the office. This was documented on either this or the other Lightning forum back then. The other risk is that it's easy to blame any damages or generator issues on me, and I'm trying to avoid that kind of attention. I don't want accommodating my EV to inadvertently get me canned. Especially in an industry with a group of field guys that aren't exactly warm and fuzzy on EV's.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
LOL, depends on the CM. That's the issue, there's always the uncertainty of what you'll have available on site. On the drilling project I was on, I was able to use a massive 50' , 50 amp extension cord to plug into the diesel generators powering the office. This was documented on either this or the other Lightning forum back then. The other risk is that it's easy to blame any damages or generator issues on me, and I'm trying to avoid that kind of attention. I don't want accommodating my EV to inadvertently get me canned. Especially in an industry with a group of field guys that aren't exactly warm and fuzzy on EV's.
Got my first pickup after moving to TX in the 70’s. Before that I never knew that the back slider window was for throwing the empty long necks into the bed.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
you could certainly make use of an ADJUSTABLE 240v EVSE, which allows you to dial the amperage down to an amount that makes sense for your situation, is not necessarily a 'burden' on the company's generator output, and still give you great charging during the many hours you have available to be plugged in...

There's no way you could 'damage' the company's generator: it either has the output to provide power to everything, or it doesn't.. but your EVSE is not going to be any issue any more than anything else.
If you brought a huge 50amp 240v RV or Camper to the site, well, that might be MORE amperage, at times, than even your EV.
Sponsored