Sponsored

FitcamX is highly recommended on this forum, but check the loop recordings.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I installed the FitcamX just before Thanksgiving. Most everything works great. Today I was nearly hit by a school bus driving on the wrong side of the road. I was going to email the district with the recording so I connect to the camera to grab the video, and there's nothing there since 12/1. I looked it up and apparently this is a common issue, the SD card included doesn't work well and doesn't delete the old vids, just fills up and stops recording. Suggested solutions are to swap for a better SD card, or format the card every week or so. Pretty annoying for what should be one of the most basic features of the camera.

So, really, just a PSA to check to make sure loop recording is working as you expect. And if you have any actual solutions other than manually erasing it weekly, or paying for a more expensive card, I'd love to hear them.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I have that camera and will check it out this afternoon.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
I bought this as a from me to me gift. I'll open it early ;) and check as well.

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Note that it will appear to work fine for awhile, till it fills up. You'll have to drive for quite some time to get the SD card full to tell if it's looping or not.

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
Mine seems to be working and has up to date recordings. However I would agree to never trust the cheap sd cards that come in these. I’ve always replaced mine, but apparently forgot about this one.

I thought there was a setting within the app when it was setup to loop and erase the recordings. Did you take a look for this?

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Same here! I was going to install it this weekend. Had the truck all but a year now and finally getting around to installing a dash cam. This one kept coming up as the best option for the truck.

Hopefully any such issues are related to the crappy included SD card and swapping that out will fix it. But this is a good heads-up.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I installed the FitcamX just before Thanksgiving. Most everything works great. Today I was nearly hit by a school bus driving on the wrong side of the road. I was going to email the district with the recording so I connect to the camera to grab the video, and there's nothing there since 12/1. I looked it up and apparently this is a common issue, the SD card included doesn't work well and doesn't delete the old vids, just fills up and stops recording. Suggested solutions are to swap for a better SD card, or format the card every week or so. Pretty annoying for what should be one of the most basic features of the camera.

So, really, just a PSA to check to make sure loop recording is working as you expect. And if you have any actual solutions other than manually erasing it weekly, or paying for a more expensive card, I'd love to hear them.
Yeah, it's a garbage card. I swapped it out for a Samsung card months ago and haven't had a problem since.

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
I thought there was a setting within the app when it was setup to loop and erase the recordings. Did you take a look for this?
Yes, it's all set to loop erase

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Yep, buy the biggest card you can fit in your budget, and once a month or so log into it and do a 'format SD card'.

I have never had it loop correctly. They initially responded to my first support request, and they asked me to run some testing software on the SD card that I had. I told them I had pretty much the best card you can get, they stopped responding after that.

Sponsored

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
I have been reading about dash cams in anticipation of buying one. I know the FitCamX is popular here as you say, but I am settling on the Vantrue 4 Pro <https://www.amazon.com/Vantrue-N4-Pro-Channel-STARVIS/dp/B0C3M7HPRT>. Couple that with a battery pack install and you have a pretty solid system. It uses the newer Sony STARVIS 2 IMX678 sensor and the dark mode contrast capabilities of that sensor are terrific if properly implemented in software by the camera processor. Based on reviews, it appears that the Venture is the only dash cam on the market that is doing this properly right now. I'd recommend this video comparison. It's pretty eye opening... <> for anyone looking to buy a dash cam in today's market.

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
I have been reading about dash cams in anticipation of buying one. I know the FitCamX is popular here as you say, but I am settling on the Vantrue 4 Pro <https://www.amazon.com/Vantrue-N4-Pro-Channel-STARVIS/dp/B0C3M7HPRT>. Couple that with a battery pack install and you have a pretty solid system. It uses the newer Sony STARVIS 2 IMX678 sensor and the dark mode contrast capabilities of that sensor are terrific if properly implemented in software by the camera processor. Based on reviews, it appears that the Venture is the only dash cam on the market that is doing this properly right now. I'd recommend this video comparison. It's pretty eye opening... for anyone looking to buy a dash cam in today's market.
I had seen the LTT video that he's referencing that basically claimed all dashcams are terrible. I wish I'd seen this video prior to the FitcamX purchase, but may have still gone FitcamX because it's such a clean install compared to the Vantrue which is very obvious. I don't think Plate readability is the most important thing to me. I guess unless it's a hit and run, but let's face it, if they hit and run you aren't getting anything out of them anyway.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I just checked on my FitCamX and it appears to be fine. I have had installed since May, 2023 and it is current with recent videos of good quality as of yesterday.

I do need to format the card to ensure continued quality recordings though.

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
I just checked on my FitCamX and it appears to be fine. I have had installed since May, 2023 and it is current with recent videos of good quality as of yesterday.

I do need to format the card to ensure continued quality recordings though.
Are you using the card that was included with the camera with the FitcamX branding or did you supply your own?

OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
I've been slowly dealing with FitcamX chat support throughout the day. They had me test the card using that same software that @queuewho is referring to. (Sidenote to Queuewho, you gotta do all the troubleshooting steps cause they're working off a troubleshooting matrix, do what they ask and give them a chance as they usually aren't allowed to skip a step) After sending them a screen shot they recommended I buy a SanDisk Extreme. I pushed back that I'm using the card that has their logo on it that came with the camera I bought a month ago, if anyone's buying me a new card, it should be them. They agreed to send me a replacement. So maybe it's the same crap card and will have the same problem, but considering there are some people here that don't have issues with it, I'm hoping the new card will solve the issue, but if not, I'll drop the $15 on the recommended card.

On another note, SD cards got super cheap since I last looked.
Sponsored